Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally, Sweet sounds of silence

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hadn't seen any similar thread with anyone having a series of multiple sound issues, and just wanted to list it in case anyone is having any similar issues, and looking for possible solutions. Last night for the first time since delivery I was able to drive home to the sounds of sweet silence. I took delivery of my P85D the end of December and I have been loving it and driving the heck out of it. So I am not unhappy by any means, I was willing to live with the sounds if there was not a fix, but man I am so glad there were. I don't think of myself as super high maintenance, but the car had multiple pretty intrusive noises that took a while and multiple attempts and visits to resolve one by one. I just wanted to share in case your having one of these as I have seen people post one or the other issue, I feel like I had most of them.

Steering Wheel Gasket - From delivery I had a loud low deep noise that sounded like a moan every time that I turned the steering wheel at low speeds. They isolated it down they found that the gasket that surrounds the steering wheel column instead of being attached at two places was broken and only attached at one and was kinking up every time the steering wheel was turned. They initially tried lubricating it but helped a little. When they finally replaced the gasket the sound was resolved.

Front end noise - Also at low speed, after the groaning was fixed the was a noticeable creaking coming from somewhere in the front end, to me it sounded like it was to the left. It was unaffected by turning the steering wheel, and going over speed bumps no matter how slowly really brought it on. I have seen others posting about a bolt that had to be torqued correctly, but that didn't help for me. For me it ended up being a part of the wheel lining was butting up against the wheel assembly and had to be properly tacked up.

Sunroof - I realized when I ordered the sunroof that I was opening myself up to living with some noise, but mine would at times sound like being under creaking bedsprings. Often if it started squeaking opening and closing it and allowing it to reseat would solve the problem. In mine, if you pushed on the front where there is the metal lip that sticks out when it was closed it would squeak, they placed some tape on that metal and it helped, but I would still get pretty impressive noise from around the crossbeam area. They finally removed the glass and applied noise reducing tape voilà sound is gone.

Front Dash - I had a crackling noise that almost sounded like a bad speaker coming from the front dash towards the left A pillar speaker which would seem to come on whenever I drove between 40 - 60. Another P85D friend of mine who took delivery same time frame as mine mentioned that they had to take his dash off and found a small shard of metal laying on his speaker. For me it took several appointments and they finally removed my dash applied noise reducing tape and the sound is blissfully gone.

Reactions: markn455
Isn't it amazing all the things you can hear where noise cannot be masked by engine sound? This is certainly a challenge to EV designers -- they can't hide noisy components behind a loud motor. My last Porsche 911 had two such issues that somehow managed to be heard OVER the engine noise. Took me forever to get them fixed by Porsche too. I can still hear the AC condenser pump over the engine but I'm resigned to live with it.

Definitely sympathize with you and I'm glad they have been resolved. Knock on wood, but I've had no noise related issues so far.

• Love
Reactions: JenniferQ
Aw c'mon, engines in modern sedans aren't that loud, especially the newer ones. My MS came with a plastic rattle/twang in the dash that I wouldn't have tolerated in a new domestic sedan from 20 years ago.

OP, I'm glad to hear they fixed this for you.

Funny. I thought you were talking about the forum, not the car :)

I just had a loaner S60 and it was SOOOO much quieter than my P85D. No wind noise and no road noise. Both cars had 19" wheels and panorama roof. The big difference is that the S60 had coils and not air. The tech in Fremont confirmed that Teslas with Coils are quieter because the coils don't conduct vibration/sound into the chassis like the air units do. Had I know that, I would have opted for the coils instead. I was shocked how quiet it was.

• Informative
I wonder what was going on when they made your car. Sounds like a bad day on the factory floor. I haven't had any of those squeaks, rubs or rattles. Glad you got them fixed.

Now if I can figure out how to cut down the wind noise at highway speed, I'll be in heaven!

I hadn't seen any similar thread with anyone having a series of multiple sound issues, and just wanted to list it in case anyone is having any similar issues, and looking for possible solutions. Last night for the first time since delivery I was able to drive home to the sounds of sweet silence. I took delivery of my P85D the end of December and I have been loving it and driving the heck out of it. So I am not unhappy by any means, I was willing to live with the sounds if there was not a fix, but man I am so glad there were. I don't think of myself as super high maintenance, but the car had multiple pretty intrusive noises that took a while and multiple attempts and visits to resolve one by one. I just wanted to share in case your having one of these as I have seen people post one or the other issue, I feel like I had most of them.

Steering Wheel Gasket - From delivery I had a loud low deep noise that sounded like a moan every time that I turned the steering wheel at low speeds. They isolated it down they found that the gasket that surrounds the steering wheel column instead of being attached at two places was broken and only attached at one and was kinking up every time the steering wheel was turned. They initially tried lubricating it but helped a little. When they finally replaced the gasket the sound was resolved.

Front end noise - Also at low speed, after the groaning was fixed the was a noticeable creaking coming from somewhere in the front end, to me it sounded like it was to the left. It was unaffected by turning the steering wheel, and going over speed bumps no matter how slowly really brought it on. I have seen others posting about a bolt that had to be torqued correctly, but that didn't help for me. For me it ended up being a part of the wheel lining was butting up against the wheel assembly and had to be properly tacked up.

Sunroof - I realized when I ordered the sunroof that I was opening myself up to living with some noise, but mine would at times sound like being under creaking bedsprings. Often if it started squeaking opening and closing it and allowing it to reseat would solve the problem. In mine, if you pushed on the front where there is the metal lip that sticks out when it was closed it would squeak, they placed some tape on that metal and it helped, but I would still get pretty impressive noise from around the crossbeam area. They finally removed the glass and applied noise reducing tape voilà sound is gone.

Front Dash - I had a crackling noise that almost sounded like a bad speaker coming from the front dash towards the left A pillar speaker which would seem to come on whenever I drove between 40 - 60. Another P85D friend of mine who took delivery same time frame as mine mentioned that they had to take his dash off and found a small shard of metal laying on his speaker. For me it took several appointments and they finally removed my dash applied noise reducing tape and the sound is blissfully gone.

This is awesome news. Car noises can be the toughest issues to fix and kudos to Tesla and the Service Center team in doing everything then can to make the sounds go away. There's nothing like a quiet car :) Congrats and enjoy your sounds of silence!

Isn't it amazing all the things you can hear where noise cannot be masked by engine sound? This is certainly a challenge to EV designers -- they can't hide noisy components behind a loud motor. .

This might be true at slower speeds, but my P85D is louder than my Lexus convertible at all highway speeds. On rough roads the difference is even more. Yet the Lexus has an ICE which you can't hear at all at freeways speeds and the cabin is like a tomb. The P85D has wind noise and road noise about 6 db more than our Lexus.

I didn't get a chance to check the S60 but it seems nearly as quiet as the Lexus at highways speeds.

Did this sound go away if you out pressure somewhere on the dash, for example by pressing down lightly on the protruding part on top of the screen? How hard was it to reproduce? I have a very similar sound and the Service Center tried to fix it, but it's not easy to reproduce on demand and I still have it after the fix. It's quite annoying sometimes so I'm wondering if it's the same thing that could be fixed as you explained.

I wonder what was going on when they made your car. Sounds like a bad day on the factory floor. I haven't had any of those squeaks, rubs or rattles. Glad you got them fixed.

Now if I can figure out how to cut down the wind noise at highway speed, I'll be in heaven!

The only noise I had was a bit of wind noise when I first got the car. The SC the small triangle windows and it hasn't come back in 2.5 years over 55K miles. I did think I had wind noise after that, but it turned out to be tire noise as the sound went away on smooth pavement, so check that your noise doesn't go away depending upon pavement surface.

To check the triangle windows, put a dollar bill between the glass and the seal and see if you can easily pull it out. If you can, it's not adjusted correctly.

I've been lucky that my "classic" Model S has had only 2 easily fixable noise issues. One was a steering click at low speed, the other was a creaking seat belt housing on the driver's side. Both fixed with one visit.

The only issue now is the brake... Some days the gasket or some other rubbery component around the pedal makes so much noise, it's embarrassing when I have passengers! Luckily I think I'll need new tires soon, so I'll be scheduling service after my road trip to Charlotte tomorrow.

Glad they were persistent in solving your issues!

Did this sound go away if you out pressure somewhere on the dash, for example by pressing down lightly on the protruding part on top of the screen? How hard was it to reproduce? I have a very similar sound and the Service Center tried to fix it, but it's not easy to reproduce on demand and I still have it after the fix. It's quite annoying sometimes so I'm wondering if it's the same thing that could be fixed as you explained.

i couldn't make my noise come on by pushing on the dash top. It seemed to come on at certain speeds or road conditions. Like when it got to a certain frequency it would start resonating and then keep making a buzzing sound. I noted that mine would come on for some reason on cloverleafs, or when the lane departure warning started vibrating it seemed to get it going. It took several tries with two different techs that were willing to go on a test drive over these conditions so I could show them. I was surprised that the apparently the whole dash is attached by clips and can be unattached. The Tech said they just need to be careful when unclipping it that it is supported in the middle and doesn't crease. They applied the noise reducing vibration tape and sound is now gone.

I've been lucky that my "classic" Model S has had only 2 easily fixable noise issues. One was a steering click at low speed, the other was a creaking seat belt housing on the driver's side. Both fixed with one visit.

The only issue now is the brake... Some days the gasket or some other rubbery component around the pedal makes so much noise, it's embarrassing when I have passengers! Luckily I think I'll need new tires soon, so I'll be scheduling service after my road trip to Charlotte tomorrow.

Glad they were persistent in solving your issues!

my 2015 85D just developed a steering wheel click... how was this fixed? thanks

my 2015 85D just developed a steering wheel click... how was this fixed? thanks

I have a 2015 85D as well and had this fixed at the SC. Here is the exact verbiage of what they did:

Concern: Customer states: creaking noise when turning steering wheel left or right.

Corrections: Install Shims and Replace Steering Rack Bolts To Prevent Steering Wheel

Clicking (Rear Wheel Drive Vehicle)

. Install Shims and Replace Steering Rack Bolts To Prevent Steering Wheel Clicking.

Perform road test noise is gone.

Parts Replaced or Added 0.00

Part Quantity

BOLT, M14 X 78MM (1051424-00-A) 2

FRICTION SHIM, M14 x 17.5 x 0.16, STL,

GRADE 25 (1080982-00-A)

Pay Type: Warranty

• Helpful
Reactions: jobiggs24