Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finance Rate Went Down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hoping to get a Model Y, which would replace my Model 3. For reference, I had US Bank for the model 3. When I submitted the application for the Model Y, I received the same Wells Fargo 3.25%, rather than an offer from my current US Bank. I emailed them this time, to see if I can go with the same bank I’m currently using. Looking to see how others make out in this thread.

I just submitted my application for the loan. Do I need to email them to ask for other banks like US Bank? Or will they find the lowest one for me?

They use Wells Fargo, I don't believe there is any shopping around when using Tesla Loan. You can find your own if you want and use that.

Edit: Some comments say US Bank so I could be wrong. My offer came in from Wells Fargo at 2.99% on Monday.

As mentioned earlier, Tesla originally “assigned” financing via Wells Fargo. Less than 30 minutes after sending their finance team an email requesting they also check chase and US Bank, I received an email response stating my online checklist change from Wells Fargo to chase, and .5% lower. I was honestly very impressed.

Reactions: KRG21
This isn't an innocent practice or an example or rates dropping quickly -- this is Tesla making extra bucks off a higher than market loan rate. Wells can offer 2.99 and if Tesla can get you to sign on for 3.25 they pocket the difference.

Classic dealership trick.

They use Wells Fargo, I don't believe there is any shopping around when using Tesla Loan. You can find your own if you want and use that.

Edit: Some comments say US Bank so I could be wrong. My offer came in from Wells Fargo at 2.99% on Monday.

Mis information. Yes you can shop with Tesla, they use multiple banks. First Tesla offered me 3.25% with Wells Fargo, I ask them to check with US Bank and they came back counter offer 2.75%. I saw others getting much lower with Chase, I requested them to send my application to Chase, guess what...now have a much lower rate via Chase at 2.69%. Wait.. I did not stop there, I am now locked in at 2.20% 72 months via Tesla through Chase via rate match with another credit union. If you are happy with Wells Fargo that is fine. But, you do have 3 options through Tesla. Wells Fargo, US Bank and Chase.

Last edited:
Mis information. Yes you can shop with Tesla, they use multiple banks. First Tesla offered me 3.25% with Wells Fargo, I ask them to check with US Bank and they came back counter offer 2.75%. I saw others getting much lower with Chase, I requested them to send my application to Chase, guess what...now have a much lower rate via Chase at 2.69%. Wait.. I did not stop there, I am now locked in at 2.20% 72 months via Tesla through Chase via rate match with another credit union. If you are happy with Wells Fargo that is fine. But, you do have 3 options through Tesla. Wells Fargo, US Bank and Chase.

You're right, I didn't realize that option existed. Good catch and thanks for the correction!

Reactions: DennyL

How’d you get them to go down to 2.20? Email [email protected] saying “I got a better rate somewhere else”?

Thank you so much for this thread. I emailed [email protected] about rates and they don't wanna budge from 2.99%. granted I haven't yet submitted actual loan application but that's because I'm waiting for trade in valuation.
But definitely gonna be looking for better than 2.99% rates that people are getting. Awesome 2.29% rate. I bank with Chase, so hopefully they can give me similar deal.