Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Financing and insurance in Hong Kong

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it worth getting the comprehensive protection?

What do you guys think? The price difference is huge and I am wondering if it's really worth getting comprehensive or jus third party is enough...
almost 1mil car.comprehensive is better choice.but i choose the fair price.even i was own bentley continental gt just $12,000 for omprehensive protection..!!

Is it worth getting the comprehensive protection?

What do you guys think? The price difference is huge and I am wondering if it's really worth getting comprehensive or jus third party is enough...

It all comes down to your risk tolerance. A simple accident could cost you the total loss of the car (HK$600k+ at least, HK$1m+ for some) - without comprehensive coverage, you are out of pocket for that.

I always get comprehensive for new cars. Once they get old, I sometimes switch to third party only. I'll risk a few ten thousand dollars, not a few hundred thousand dollars.

• Informative
Reactions: mkq786
Prudential is very aggressive these days. Just got 50% discount on comprehensive for my MX.
They are cheaper than AXA by $1000, but there is a $10k credit for AXA if you bought an inventory car. Also i think in all these insurance policy, the new car for old car clause is capped at the price of what you paid for your car. So they won't pay the new FRT inclusive price if you totaled it. Hopefully none of us need to test this out.

I signed up insurance at AXA HK (Tesla's official partner) about ten days ago, no one at AXA had contacted or sent anything to me yet, all calls to them were unanswered and not returned, however full amount of premium has already been deducted from my credit card.

If someone wants to sign up for AXA, be aware.

I signed up insurance at AXA HK (Tesla's official partner) about ten days ago, no one at AXA had contacted or sent anything to me yet, all calls to them were unanswered and not returned, however full amount of premium has already been deducted from my credit card.

If someone wants to sign up for AXA, be aware.

I had a similar experience but for them charging. I did finally get a cover note indicating I have coverage but haven't been charged yet. It is very tough to actually speak to someone at AXA.

Be careful before signing up with Kwiksure. Read the policy carefully, you will effectively have no glass coverage at all because you will need to use a Kwiksure approved shop to have any glass fixed. They won't be able to replace Model X glass at all.

I ended up signing with AXA.

Be careful before signing up with Kwiksure. Read the policy carefully, you will effectively have no glass coverage at all because you will need to use a Kwiksure approved shop to have any glass fixed. They won't be able to replace Model X glass at all.

I ended up signing with AXA.
Can't be can it? I ended up going with Kwiksure... I think they said windscreen cover is $5000

Yes, if you read the terms and conditions it states that you have too use "Xinyi Automobile glass company". I emailed Robert Gunnell at kwiksure and he sent this back directly from the insurer: "If any windscreen claim which is not repaired in “Xinyi Automobile glass company”, the claim will be regarded as Own Damage Claim.

This is pretty much why I went with AXA.

Yes, if you read the terms and conditions it states that you have too use "Xinyi Automobile glass company". I emailed Robert Gunnell at kwiksure and he sent this back directly from the insurer: "If any windscreen claim which is not repaired in “Xinyi Automobile glass company”, the claim will be regarded as Own Damage Claim.

This is pretty much why I went with AXA.

But frankly AXA response was not so great. I did it with Prudential thru cindy as many other members on this forum. Their cost was also bit cheaper than AXA but i was concerned about follow up just in case.

My MS is insured with Liberty. They have an "alliance" / partnership with Tesla in HK. Not sure this is still the case.

I recalled my MS' premium was around HK$9k for a P85+ a couple years back. In fact, I also switched my other cars insurance coverage to Liberty also subsequently. In every situation (Tesla or not), Liberty quotes a lower premium than others.

I think this is due to the fact that I'm dealing with Liberty direct and there is no agent or broker (which will take a cut / commission).

Disclaimer: I don't work for Liberty and I do encourage you to compare quotes from different insurers in the first instance.

Could you please show me how to get in touch with Liberty? I could not find any relevant info on their website

Guys please be safe on road, my quotation from Zurich has doubled this year (for a 2015 model S60)............I asked quite a few other companies, all above 10k for comprehensive coverage

And always go for comprehensive instead of third party only, I heard of a guy who drives for 20+ years in HK and never made any insurance claims. He has third party coverage for his model S, thinking it's the most economic way to go. Then he hit a tree... $200+k for repair, out of his own pocket

• Informative