Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 2019.12.1.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got 2019.12.1.2 installed this morning. Navigate on Autopilot seems to have great difficulty executing lane changes. Sometimes it says lane change canceled and other times it will disengage NoA and cancel the turn signal. No issues with audio, the backup camera or anything else yet.

• Helpful
Reactions: PhaseWhite
Sure, but in over four months of having the Model 3, this is the first it’s done this. I shouldn't have to open the Tesla app to get into the car.

On a third trip today, I realized it wasn't a “having to do it twice” thing. I repeatedly pulled the driver’s handle to no effect. I had to pop the rear passenger door to wake it up (and this was after having opened and closed the trunk).
As of this update, I now have to remove my iPhone from my pocket and hold lateral in my palm in order to get the door to unlock. Previously, the phone could remain in my pocket. Could be an iPhone issue, but it is really not a concern to have to take out my phone on entry.

Not sure if I have a setting wrong, but my car will never open when I walk up to it and press the driver door handle. I typically use the phone app as primary key.

Any suggestions M3 owners or is this accurate?
As of this update, I have had to remove my iPhone from my pocket and hold lateral in my palm in order for the door to unlock. Previously, phone could remain in my pocket. Could be an iPhone thing or a Tesla thing.

As of this update, I now have to remove my iPhone from my pocket and hold lateral in my palm in order to get the door to unlock. Previously, the phone could remain in my pocket. Could be an iPhone issue, but it is really not a concern to have to take out my phone on entry.
Yeah, I have to wake my phone up now. Before it was 99.9% first pull, now it is 30%. I took the car to the dragstrip for my first time ever and whenever I parked it and went back the door never opened. Felt like an idiot. Had to take my phone out and wake it up for the door to open on the third pull. Also this morning my signals stoped working mid drive. Not sure if it was the actual indicators or just the interior blinker/screen indicator but I did a restart at a long light and all was good.

Couple of things I notice in the past when you disconnected Autopilot when you merge off to either lane you would get a warning to remind you your autopilot is disconnected that is not happening anymore. Also having issues with my radio when selecting channel will not go on radio I have to select iphone than back to radio for the radio to come on.

yea, Tesla isn't ready for full auto-drive... I find the 'severe braking with no one in my lane" extremely annoying and my wife hates when I use autopilot, even with my hands on the wheel. All it takes is one jerky stop, and she's pissed, so I only use it when she's not in the car.

I concur with your analysis. I just got back from a round trip from Orlando to Chicago. On the way up I used autopilot and on the way back we did not. The trip up was a wrestling match at times with Autopilot. The return trip was smooth and delightful. (My hardware M3LR 2019.12.1.2).

My wife complained every time Autopilot jerked and surged. When you take control it lurches and everyone in the car knows. My wife's comment was; "Turn Autopilot off"!!!

Problems with Autopilot (yes I do understand it is a driver assist package);
Abrupt and jerky disengagement when you take control
Limited situational awareness adjustments (night, rain, traffic, rough payment, weather, puddling, impaired drivers, accidents, detours, road warnings)
When two Interstates spit in a Y while in the rightmost lane on the left split, Autopilot got centered and got confused and went down the center of the Y painted split zone (luckily I was poised to take over, danger!) after this my wife told me to stop using it before it killed us
I responded quicker than autopilot when a semi crossed into my lane
Doesn't see tire pieces and debris on the road
Doesn't see pot holes
Posted speed limit sometimes doesn't agree with the speed limit in navigation
No easy way to correct map speed limits (I tried notifying both Tesla and Google with no results)
It will hang in other driver's blind spots at times
Wanders to stay centered when going past on and off ramps
Because autopilot recenters for on ramps it acts like you're trying to block merging traffic
Doesn't zipper with other cars when lanes merge
Leads to driver lethargy and inattention

I absolutely loved Autopilot when I was stuck for over 2 hours in traffic jams. If I had a stop and go Interstate commute I would be totally on board. Until then, I'm waiting for Level 4 self driving.

My autopilot is now drunk, lol. This morning I had to intervene an excessive amount of times. While going on the left lane, there were some stops where you have those exits that allow or U-turn and the autopilot kept trying to go on that late (aggressively), and I had to fight it back to the normal left lane, which caused it to disengage.
Another time, it approached a car that was stopped at the red light, and I noticed it didn't break, instead it gave a read warning asking for me to take over - which I was already doing.

I feel that the system is still struggling with some basic stuff...my bet is that the SW version we will have access to with the HW 2.5 really won't be able to get even close to the feel of FSD and they are holding up on several substantial improvements that will only work with HW 3.0... I am 100% sure if I had gone with the "Jesus take the wheel" approach today, I would've gotten into an accident.

I still use it a lot, but am always vigilant!
I'm also seeing many instances where it aggressively seeks out the left lane when it doesn't know where to go. There are several spots on my daily commute that it does this. As best I can tell it happens when it's trying to center in a lane and it's presented with another lane marker up ahead that's slightly left of center of the car. The car will suddenly try to jerk left so that this lane marker becomes it's right lane marker.

Reactions: phlevcar
I experienced both of the following on a recent drive to a supercharger (on this version.) While I understood it could be related to preconditioning, the noise had me very worried.

Things were back to normal upon leaving the supercharger.

I just received Version 2019.12.1.2 5c87371 last evening before heading over to a local SuperCharger to charge up. I thought I'd put the SuperCharger into the Navigate screen as a destination since battery conditioning was listed as a new software feature. I immediately noticed an audible "whine" from what sounded like the front motor (I have a dual motor Performance model). It wasn't loud at all - just a faint whine but a different noise from the car that I have gotten to know pretty well over the past 16,000 miles. I turned off the navigation to the SuperCharger destination, and the whine stopped. In order to make sure there was a correlation, I turned on navigation to the SuperCharger location and off again several times, and the whine correlated precisely with those actions. Outside temperature was 59 degrees. Anyone else notice this? I assume the car was doing something to "warm" the batteries prior to arriving at the SuperCharger location. Any other thoughts?

On 12.1 anyone else experiencing much lower efficiency upon navigating to a Supercharger? Lower efficiency is expected since it's trying to warm up the battery but I was surprised by how much. The battery was cold soaked around roughly 60 F. I can't imagine how low efficiency would be if it was cold soaked at 20 F or lower. Definitely provides quicker ramp times on Superchargers, but I'm hoping they will have a feature where you can opt out of on route battery warmup. Don't get me wrong, super happy they added this feature, but I'm not sure it's necessary 100% of the time.

I concur with your analysis. I just got back from a round trip from Orlando to Chicago. On the way up I used autopilot and on the way back we did not. The trip up was a wrestling match at times with Autopilot. The return trip was smooth and delightful. (My hardware M3LR 2019.12.1.2).

My wife complained every time Autopilot jerked and surged. When you take control it lurches and everyone in the car knows. My wife's comment was; "Turn Autopilot off"!!!

Problems with Autopilot (yes I do understand it is a driver assist package);
Abrupt and jerky disengagement when you take control
Limited situational awareness adjustments (night, rain, traffic, rough payment, weather, puddling, impaired drivers, accidents, detours, road warnings)
When two Interstates spit in a Y while in the rightmost lane on the left split, Autopilot got centered and got confused and went down the center of the Y painted split zone (luckily I was poised to take over, danger!) after this my wife told me to stop using it before it killed us
I responded quicker than autopilot when a semi crossed into my lane
Doesn't see tire pieces and debris on the road
Doesn't see pot holes
Posted speed limit sometimes doesn't agree with the speed limit in navigation
No easy way to correct map speed limits (I tried notifying both Tesla and Google with no results)
It will hang in other driver's blind spots at times
Wanders to stay centered when going past on and off ramps
Because autopilot recenters for on ramps it acts like you're trying to block merging traffic
Doesn't zipper with other cars when lanes merge
Leads to driver lethargy and inattention

I absolutely loved Autopilot when I was stuck for over 2 hours in traffic jams. If I had a stop and go Interstate commute I would be totally on board. Until then, I'm waiting for Level 4 self driving.

My (hopeful) theory is that the current autopilot CPU (2.5) is essentially overloaded. I know that Elon posted that it is running at 80%, but (I assume again) for a real time operating system it is overloaded. If it is booked 80% it hardly has spare cycles to manage things like smooth lane changes, much less process images of potholes, before it has to look for things like eminent crash possibilities.

I sure hope the new HW 3.0 has the capacity to handle FSD...

- i've gotten the "blind spot detection reduced" message multiple times. doesn't always happen.
- i've experienced the same "door won't open immediately" that a few others have mentioned in this thread.
- the "blacked out" backup camera issue seems to be better. not flawless but improved.
- there was a car in the left turn lane that was poking out (1-2ft?) into my lane and i got the object collision warning beep. i was impressed.
- the web browser is snappier.
- i noticed once that the fan or something was running while the car was parked. it wasn't hot or anything.
- i was offered the EAP 2 week trial for the 2nd time.

I have a 2018 Model S. After the prior release, the screen would intermittently lock up when starting for 1 - 2 mins . . . totally black screen and dashboard. I just updated to 12.1.2. I'm hoping this was to fix that issue - but not sure yet

I have been searching for a while to find anyone else with the same issue, so I'm glad it's not me. Same thing when 2019.12 dropped - most mornings, the car would be completely powered off, and I could only get it to wake up by using the app - pressing the brake did nothing. For a while, I thought I tracked it down to using an old 40A charging cable instead of the new 32A one, but after a few days without, it came back.

So far, it hasn't reproduced with 2019.12.1.2. Fingers crossed it's fixed, but it's headed to the service center this Friday at the support folks' recommendations if not.

guessing the lane departure features are installed in shadow mode until they feel confident it wouldn't have caused any accidents. I am a little nervous about any always on 'safety' features since a false positives are sometimes more dangerous or in the best case extremely annoying. Would be nice if you could disable any 'emergency' actions.

Reactions: Msjulie
guessing the lane departure features are installed in shadow mode until they feel confident it wouldn't have caused any accidents. I am a little nervous about any always on 'safety' features since a false positives are sometimes more dangerous or in the best case extremely annoying. Would be nice if you could disable any 'emergency' actions.

There is no evidence that LDA or ELDA are in 2019.12.x. However these features are mentioned in the release notes for 2019.16.

Is this new is 12.1.2? I dont ever remember seeing "Sentry Mode event report" before.

IMG_4935.JPG