Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 2019.12.1.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if I have a setting wrong, but my car will never open when I walk up to it and press the driver door handle. I typically use the phone app as primary key.

Any suggestions M3 owners or is this accurate?
You should expect the door to open every time you press the handle, as long as you have your phone. That’s how it’s designed and has almost always — almost— worked for me. I’ve experienced no faults yet with 2019.12.1.2.

iPhones work better than Androids.

Not sure if I have a setting wrong, but my car will never open when I walk up to it and press the driver door handle. I typically use the phone app as primary key.

Any suggestions M3 owners or is this accurate?

In my experience the car will not open with my phone in my back pocket - only with it in the front pocket. It’s definitely annoying and I wish there was a setting to choose the proximity for detecting when to unlock the car.

No such luck in my case. I was backing into a parking space today at work and the camera came up black. Didn't realize how much I've relied on the system until I was straining my neck trying to look out the back window and right side rear mirror.

My car has done this twice now with the new update, but after the camera initially pulls up with no issues. About the time I start to accelerate to reverse, the screen goes COMPLETELY black, until I put it back into drive. When it first happened, because the entire screen went black, I thought the system was actually rebooting. Once I put it back into drive, the screen immediately came back on, thus not rebooting.

Some questions:
  • How do you get in, then? It sounds like it's not working at all, in which case you'd need to use the key card or a key fob, and you really are not using the phone as a key -- just trying to do so. Is this correct, or does it eventually work? If it eventually works, what makes it work -- time, multiple handle pulls, opening the app, etc.?
  • Once you gain entry, does the phone suffice to let you drive, or do you need to tap the key card to the center console to enable driving?
  • Is this problem new to Tesla's 2019.12.x software, or has it existed in previous versions, too?
  • What brand and model of phone do you have?
  • What Android or iOS version are you running on the phone?
  • Is Bluetooth always enabled on the phone, or is it managed in some way to preserve battery life?
  • Have you paired the phone and set it up as a key? (Those are two distinct, but related, operations.)
In order...

* grab phone, unlock phone and open app.
* yes, all is fine in car, however take key card as backup
* has always been this way
* Google pixel 2 xl
* Android 9 (same issues with all previous versions)
* always on, no battery issues
* yes to both, but I hear ya. When I picked up the car the delivery manager only knew about pairing Bluetooth - figured the other out when I got home.

Thx

I am on 12.1.2, never had 12.1.1. Autopilot has been working as usual. No problems with lane changes and NOA working well. Have not experienced any problems with hesitancy with lane changes that has been noted by Phasewhite. Drove 2 hours on NOA yesterday and did not need to intervene the whole trip.

On the interstate it kept reacting to the car in the right lane. There appears to be a real issue with camera vs radar.

1. It will go to pass a vehicle, when it is almost up to the rear corner of the vehicle it will suddenly decide that it needs to get out of the passing lane. It wants to brake and get back behind the vehicle it was just about to pass. I assume it was close enough that it no longer appeared on the front radar, and it forgot that it was going to pass...

2. Passing cars in a lane to the right, it will suddenly turn a car in the right lane black and slow down to speed match it. It clearly shows a lane line between us. This is probably related to the radar/camera separation again. I was on an interstate with 3 or 4 lanes in each direction when this was happening. I was in one of the middle lanes and was moving along fine (it was not an autopilot automatic passing situation) when all the sudden it decided that a car in a lane to the right of me was the one it was going to turn black and sync speeds with, applying the brakes suddenly.

I occasionally have those same problems on 2019.8.5.

2019.12.1.2 is working great on my model 3 and I think I just discovered a NEW FEATURE! Summon power has apparently been increased and it will now drive up my driveway on a moderately steep angle and go over the garage to driveway transition! In previous releases it would always abort. I know some others were waiting for this - so give it a try!

Also, autopilot on city roads, especially lane changing behavior seems vastly improved for me.

• Informative
Reactions: ord3r and Big Earl
First time using 12.1.2... NOA totally missed a lane change this morning at a highway interchange. (MA 95/128) This left me two lanes over from the intended route and headed toward an exit ramp. NOA had no intention to shift lanes by itself to maintain the indicated route. I had to take over.

NOA also turned on the turn signal to change lanes and then just stayed in the lane and never changed lanes. There were no cars in that lane for quite a distance.

At this point, I'm not sure NOA with auto lane change is ready for primetime for my commute. NOA had been okay (working ~60% of the time) when I confirmed lane changes.

Also has the ability to have the mirrors auto-dim totally gone away? They stopped working when I received 8.5 and is not in any setting in 12.1.2.

First time using 12.1.2... NOA totally missed a lane change this morning at a highway interchange. (MA 95/128) This left me two lanes over from the intended route and headed toward an exit ramp. NOA had no intention to shift lanes by itself to maintain the indicated route. I had to take over.

NOA also turned on the turn signal to change lanes and then just stayed in the lane and never changed lanes. There were no cars in that lane for quite a distance.

At this point, I'm not sure NOA with auto lane change is ready for primetime for my commute. NOA had been okay (working ~60% of the time) when I confirmed lane changes.

Also has the ability to have the mirrors auto-dim totally gone away? They stopped working when I received 8.5 and is not in any setting in 12.1.2.
I noticed 12.1.2 turned confirmation required for lane change back to yes instead of no, have you looked at your settings to make sure it is set how you want it to be? You can try to restart your vehicle to see if that improves things for you. I havne't noticed my mirrors not dimming. If that stuff persists after a reset you should put a service request in via the app so they can pull logs and check to see what is up.

My autopilot and cruise were disabled this morning. No lanes or cars visualized on my screen. Tried a reboot while driving without resolution. The only thing I can think is my sensor cameras were disabled due to condensation from last nights rain?

I did a hard restart when I parked at work. We shall see if things return for this evenings drive home. Grrr

I've noticed LOTS of audio issues on 12.1.x
  • No Sound! No matter what I do, mute, volume, switch inputs, I still get no sound until I reboot (it's happened twice)
  • Mysterious Input Switches (from USB to Radio, etc...) when changing drive mode (Park to Reverse to Drive)
  • Unwanted Volume Changes (from USB to Radio, etc...) when changing drive mode (Park to Reverse to Drive)
  • Favorite radio stations Disappear until I switch away to all stations and then come back to Favorites
  • Wrong USB info is displayed. I selected Artists, but the songs are listed instead. If I switch away to another filter and then come back to Artists, everything is as it should be
I think Tesla should copy Apple's firmware strategy now and have a major release that is Completely dedicated to eliminating all bugs, instead of providing any new features, before this gets even more out of control!

• Funny
Reactions: acerbix
In order...

* grab phone, unlock phone and open app.
* yes, all is fine in car, however take key card as backup
* has always been this way
* Google pixel 2 xl
* Android 9 (same issues with all previous versions)
* always on, no battery issues
* yes to both, but I hear ya. When I picked up the car the delivery manager only knew about pairing Bluetooth - figured the other out when I got home.

I recall seeing a post a while ago about a setting that might need to be changed to get the phone key feature to work with Android 9. Unfortunately, I haven't found the post in a quick Google search. I didn't have to do anything with my phone, but you may need to go looking for it. IIRC, it was something to do with a new security or power-saving feature, but obviously my memory of the details is foggy.

If you want more help on this, please start a new thread, since your problem doesn't seem to be uniquely related to Tesla's 2019.12.1 software, which is what this thread is about. In the new thread, re-state the problem and the above details.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Been on 2019.12.1.2 (hw3) for 2-3 days. Working well > 200 miles. Overnight Sentry Mode was enabled. Car was not on the charger (>70% charge already).

This morning had to two-button reboot the MCU to get it to come up. Not a big deal but I posted it here in case others start to see similar.