Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 2019.16 features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got 16.2 last night. Kids love the new animation. I like the convenience features with Sentry mode.

I do notice one issue with the Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance feature. On our way to my kids' school (a local bi-directional two-lane road with a speed limit of 30, but people routinely go beyond 40), there's an off-centered, crooked manhole that requires you to go a bit over the sideline on the right to straddle it. When I tried to straddle the manhole this morning, ELDA kicked in and steered me back in the lane while making this buzzing sound that I had never heard before. There's a retention wall about 4 feet away from the sideline near the manhole, which may be the trigger. I wasn't doing AP, and I had Lane Departure Avoidance turned off.

Don't get me wrong. I do value ELDA and I think it's orders of magnitude more helpful than the blind spot chime that Tesla rolled out a few versions back. However, if I lose the ability to do quick maneuver to avoid road hazard, then ELDA itself is a hazard. I guess I could trick ELDA to think it's alright to veer over the line by either slowing down or doing the turn signal, but who'd do that if you need to react quickly to save your rearend?

Am I missing something? I do hope I am.

I got 16.2 last night. Kids love the new animation. I like the convenience features with Sentry mode.

I do notice one issue with the Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance feature. On our way to my kids' school (a local bi-directional two-lane road with a speed limit of 30, but people routinely go beyond 40), there's an off-centered, crooked manhole that requires you to go a bit over the sideline on the right to straddle it. When I tried to straddle the manhole this morning, ELDA kicked in and steered me back in the lane while making this buzzing sound that I had never heard before. There's a retention wall about 4 feet away from the sideline near the manhole, which may be the trigger. I wasn't doing AP, and I had Lane Departure Avoidance turned off.

Don't get me wrong. I do value ELDA and I think it's orders of magnitude more helpful than the blind spot chime that Tesla rolled out a few versions back. However, if I lose the ability to do quick maneuver to avoid road hazard, then ELDA itself is a hazard. I guess I could trick ELDA to think it's alright to veer over the line by either slowing down or doing the turn signal, but who'd do that if you need to react quickly to save your rearend?

You should be able to override by continuing to turn the direction you want to go right? I can't believe the system would physically prevent you from doing what you want to do.

Were you doing that as a quick maneuver? Or did you plan ahead and drift over the line to straddle the manhole cover? ELDA should only kick in with a slow/drift over the line, not a quick maneuver.

LDA will kick in if it doesn't think you are controlling the car's movement. It sounds more like you effectively purposely cause the car to "drift" over to the side to avoid the manhole. Because the car saw the movement as a "drift", LDA kicked in. From my experience and testing, LDA is VERY EASY to override by operator movement of the wheel. LDA in progress is a lot easier to disengage than AP.

EDIT: Sorry all I am mixing up LDA and ELDA. Belay my last! The above statement has been corrected to reference LDA and not ELDA. LDA is not on by default so if it wasn't on then my above statement doesn't apply as an appropriate response to what I quoted.

Last edited:
Were you doing that as a quick maneuver? Or did you plan ahead and drift over the line to straddle the manhole cover?
That's a good point. I did plan, but I didn't really go over the line until I was close. I would say that the inner side of my tires were still touching the line when I 'went over'.

ELDA should only kick in with a slow/drift over the line, not a quick maneuver.
Does that mean that if the driver changes lane aggressively, then ELDA will not steer the car back in lane if there's a car in the blind spot?

ELDA will kick in if id doesn't think you are controlling the car's movement. It sounds more like you effectively purposely cause the car to "drift" over to the side to avoid the manhole. Because the car saw the movement as a "drift", ELDA kicked in. From my experience and testing, ELDA is VERY EASY to override by operator movement of the wheel. ELDA in progress is a lot easier to disengage than AP.

It seems to me what you described falls in the Lane Departure Avoidance feature. I had that off. ELDA is to avoid collision if I am not mistaken, and is on by default. The steering ELDA did wasn't significant, but it did show a message on the screen about the car being steered back in lane (along with the buzzes).

That's a good point. I did plan, but I didn't really go over the line until I was close. I would say that the inner side of my tires were still touching the line when I 'went over'.

Does that mean that if the driver changes lane aggressively, then ELDA will not steer the car back in lane if there's a car in the blind spot?

ELDA isn't very well defined as to how it will actually react so unfortunately the only way to test how it actually works could end up being a destructive test so I don't recommend trying to test out this feature.

EDIT: due to me mixing up LDA and ELDA, I have changed this response.

Last edited:
But it can't tell you what AP hardware you have in a Model 3 since the API doesn't properly return that information at this time.

That's weird because I have have a Model 3 and I see it:

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    35.8 KB · Views: 129
That's weird because I have have a Model 3 and I see it:

From what I remember, people say that it does not report it "correctly" to vin decoders.. meaning that if you have HW 3 it might also be reporting that 2.5. maybe try decoding a vin of a recent car with your vin tool and see if you see that say "autopilot hardware 3.0"?

Got the nod from the Internet Gods this afternoon.

2019.16.3 3e8c226 installed at 4:41pm US Eastern Daylight Time May 29, 2019. M3, AP3, delivery accepted mid-this-month.

WHOOHOO! OK, it's my first update...

For people who want the update sooner, wake up at 7:30am, wash your car and then wax it, then go out to lunch and get Thai after charging for free at a brewery, do some laundry, marinate some salmon and tell your child to get their dang homework done. Then you'll get the update. That worked 100% for me.

For people who want the update sooner, wake up at 7:30am, wash your car and then wax it, then go out to lunch and get Thai after charging for free at a brewery, do some laundry, marinate some salmon and tell your child to get their dang homework done. Then you'll get the update. That worked 100% for me.

Congrats! If I don’t have a child, can I tell my neighbor to clean their dang backyard instead?

That is likely just as effective as any other method people have suggested!