Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 2019.24.1 [AP1/MCU1 - just sketchpad improvements]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

commasign

TeslaAdviceBlog.com
Aug 31, 2013
Davis, CA
Just got 2019.24.1 for my 2014 P85D (AP1/MCU1). Just sketchpad improvements.

dwbyK4xMTYuV4oAdzR1BSA.jpg 6qujWKWuRbWTRWPVNs0PJQ.jpg F68cUsqKSHeT1cHTjdw%NQ.jpg +RKiXwflSHOuVKHxdwOHSA.jpg

Agreed @Pale_Rider... I don't give a flip about games, drawing, dog mode, etc. Let's have some substantial and really useful performance upgrades. Tesla is wasting software design efforts in my view.

True. It really is a shame that all of Tesla's software developers worked solely on this one feature for the last few weeks, and that this update includes no bug fixes or performance improvements.

I think the programmers are trying to make ap better while having to use 2.5. In effect, they are trying to circumvent the slowness of that computer. It would appear to me all the effort to improve AP while using 2.5 is wasted time once 3 comes out. I say this because you can actually feel the computer make a move after the need for that move has disappeared. To improve AP under 2.5 then is to implement anticipation, something that won't be an issue with a quicker computer.

how wrong am I?

Agreed @Pale_Rider... I don't give a flip about games, drawing, dog mode, etc. Let's have some substantial and really useful performance upgrades. Tesla is wasting software design efforts in my view.

Maybe you don’t, but I’ve found dog mode, in particular, to be extremely useful. Shocker: different people have different needs.

Interesting thing about 2019.24 so far is that on TeslaFi NO Model 3’s have it. Unlike most (all?) recent releases, this one seems to be for the S and X. Could be a coincidence but with 80 copies out as of now that’s a heck of a coincidence.

Glad to be beyond 2019.20 with weeks of new versions. Hope 24 doesn’t have the same fate!

It has fixed some lane recognition issues for my regular drive.

I have a 4 lane road with a suicide center lane. Starting around 2019.20, if I was driving in the right lane it would not detect that there was a lane to the left. If I was in the left lane, it would detect a lane to the right.

2019.24.1 this is now working again as expected and it detects the left lane.

upload_2019-7-9_8-27-14.png

Managing expectations is difficult in the best of circumstances, especially with high degree of difference we all feel about what are our priorities versus those of the company. Updates to dog mode or games (something I don’t personally care about) in my view are a harmless part of their managing expectations to have regular updates. I bought FSD and I’m eager to have components of that as soon as possible. But I have to manage my own expectations. I don’t want them any sooner than they are certified (at least by the designers, if not the regulators) to be safe, even in the edgiest of edge cases. So in sum, Tesla is no doubt trying to manage expectations. I urge all of us to do the same.

Reactions: Enginerd
Managing expectations is difficult in the best of circumstances, especially with high degree of difference we all feel about what are our priorities versus those of the company. Updates to dog mode or games (something I don’t personally care about) in my view are a harmless part of their managing expectations to have regular updates. I bought FSD and I’m eager to have components of that as soon as possible. But I have to manage my own expectations. I don’t want them any sooner than they are certified (at least by the designers, if not the regulators) to be safe, even in the edgiest of edge cases. So in sum, Tesla is no doubt trying to manage expectations. I urge all of us to do the same.

This.

Also, in case the sarcasm in my prior post was too heavy, no one should equate getting sketch pad improvements with even a minute's delay on FSD, the phone app, or <insert feature you would like here>. The person coding the sketch pad is highly unlikely to be the same person working on stop light detection, etc. It's a false dichotomy. And 'superfluous' features that are fun to a small subset of owners still serve an important purpose.