Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 2019.24.x on S/X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a few questions:

1. I have 2014 AP1. I have always been able to use Chademo since day one. Never had issues with it. Do I need to update to 2019.24.4?

2. My AP works pretty well for me, is this new 2019.24.4 update that much better AP?

3. How many AP1 owners have updated to 2019.24.4

4. How can I completely disable updates? I really love 2019.24.1 which I am on now.

I’ve got AP1 as well and have noticed some great improvements I’ve the last few updates, namely -
Lane changes are much more assertive now and happen almost instantly.
When the sonars detect a vehicle close to you in the next lane (for instance a tractor trailer) getting too close to you it will slightly move the car to the other side of your lane.

24.4 fixed a super annoying and 100% reproducible freeway phantom braking event for me that cropped up ~6 months ago on my daily commute (my hypothesis is it was related to some relatively low overhead power lines), so I’ll take that as a little victory.
I got the update last night and drove over 100 miles on AP today. I keep getting the phantom slowdowns (set to 78mph, drops to 63 with nobody around relatively gradually, then resumes my set speed), and I kept getting random Take Over Immediately with clearly marked lane failures. I wonder if I'm having sensor issues, or if AP2.0 is just crapping out. This is super frustrating...

Same here. I got about 9% drop in battery after the update in the next day while the car was just sitting there.

Also, AP is worse for the first time for me. More phantom braking, not stopping for a slow car in front of me and not changing lanes anymore when I tap on the turn signal. It would change lanes fairly well with a tap of the signal before

Reactions: MIT_S60
And you are making that statement based on one day of data? Tell us what happens after a week or more :)

I sense the irony in your question, and I deeply apologize for not inventing a time machine that would have allowed me to travel forward into the future to gather the data, and the back into the past to post an informed observation over a greater timespan. What exactly is the problem? I shouldn’t have posted anything because I wasn’t bringing anything substantial to the table? Yet you don’t mind doing the same just to be a smartass..

I was merely trying to see if other people, who might have had the update for longer, were experiencing the same phenomenon. I rebooted the MCU (1 btw) the next day, and I still have been experiencing a very abnormal range loss while idle (around 20 km for each 24 hours of idling). Knowing my car is now sitting at the airport for a few days and that I definitely need some range to make it back to the next SC, I don’t necessarily love the idea of losing 80-100km of range from just being parked there.

DISCLAIMER: please keep in mind that this observation is only over a THREE DAY PERIOD and it might also be due to other factors (heatwave in Europe, alignment of the stars, general witchcraft, etc).

I have a service appointment next week and will definitely ask the technician if the issue persists.

I've noticed a few minor improvements.

For the first time I am getting bicycles in our bike lanes, the car is doing much better when their is a lane split and a car behind me takes the exit early. In the past the car wasn't sure what to do when the car right in front of me was basically stationary, and a car took the turn lane too early. My car wasn't sure which car to follow and often wanted to accelerate and follow the car entering the turn lane too soon while the rest of the traffic was stopped.

The car is still really conservative in breaking when someone sticks their nose a bit too far past a stop sign as they are trying to make a turn into the ongoing traffic.

I sense the irony in your question, and I deeply apologize for not inventing a time machine that would have allowed me to travel forward into the future to gather the data, and the back into the past to post an informed observation over a greater timespan. What exactly is the problem? I shouldn’t have posted anything because I wasn’t bringing anything substantial to the table? Yet you don’t mind doing the same just to be a smartass..

I was merely trying to see if other people, who might have had the update for longer, were experiencing the same phenomenon. I rebooted the MCU (1 btw) the next day, and I still have been experiencing a very abnormal range loss while idle (around 20 km for each 24 hours of idling). Knowing my car is now sitting at the airport for a few days and that I definitely need some range to make it back to the next SC, I don’t necessarily love the idea of losing 80-100km of range from just being parked there.

DISCLAIMER: please keep in mind that this observation is only over a THREE DAY PERIOD and it might also be due to other factors (heatwave in Europe, alignment of the stars, general witchcraft, etc).

I have a service appointment next week and will definitely ask the technician if the issue persists.
gee, you are taking this way too seriously. It was just a simple question and request. Tell us in a week if your findings are different. They might be. There was no offense intended. You read that into it.;)

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA and FlyF4
Well I installed the 2019.24.4 four days ago now and I have been losing 16 to 20 miles of range every day since. I have done a hard reboot and it made no difference. I have checked all of the settings for power usage, made sure that sentry mode was off, etc. I used to see between 2 to 5 miles a day at most. This is ridiculous!
I had that issue a few updates ago. Oddly it went away

For the first time ever my car refused to supercharge today - I plugged in and it just sat there at “starting to charge” forever.

Unplugged a few times, no dice. Would have tried a different stall but this is CA on a Friday and every supercharger stall in the state is occupied. ;)

MCU reboot fixed it.

• Helpful
Reactions: TK16688 and Doctt
Well I installed the 2019.24.4 four days ago now and I have been losing 16 to 20 miles of range every day since. I have done a hard reboot and it made no difference. I have checked all of the settings for power usage, made sure that sentry mode was off, etc. I used to see between 2 to 5 miles a day at most. This is ridiculous!

I’m not sure that this is specifically liked to this firmware version though.

If anything, I’m seeing much lower losses on this version...

It isn't a 'car' space setting, it is time based.

Given the distance you started at it looks like you may have been speed limited rather than time/distance, so when the car in front braked, your car still had some distance to travel before it hit the minimum time setting you had it on.

I wasn't about to try and find out if it would have the chance to stop at my current setting. My car was traveling ~70 mph and I had to completely push my brakes in and felt the ABS kick in. It doesn't look that bad in that video but I definitely felt like I was coming in way too hot.

I use AP 80% of the time at least 3-4x a week for my 80 mile commute to work. This is the first time that I actually got scared that I wouldn't have time to stop. So far, it's been good since that incident so maybe it's just working out the quirks since it's a new update.. who knows. I still use AP consistently.

I’m not sure that this is specifically liked to this firmware version though.

If anything, I’m seeing much lower losses on this version...

Lost another 19 miles in the last 24 hours. I have never seen anything even close to this! Energy saving on, Always connected on (as has always been the case). Most I have ever lost before was a one-off one time deal of 11 miles. Car has been in the garage the whole time so it isn't overheat protection or something like that. So most others on 24.4 aren't having this problem?

Lost another 19 miles in the last 24 hours. I have never seen anything even close to this! Energy saving on, Always connected on (as has always been the case). Most I have ever lost before was a one-off one time deal of 11 miles. Car has been in the garage the whole time so it isn't overheat protection or something like that. So most others on 24.4 aren't having this problem?

I'm losing about the same amount without driving it since the update. Not sure why.it could be a coincidence

Those of you seeing a large daily loss, can you check to see which map version you are on?

There does seem to have been an issue causing map updates to fail repeatedly on MCU1 cars with the result that the attempt to download the large update was also repeating in a loop/ This might be related to the energy loss in some but not all vehicles.

• Helpful
Reactions: GWord