Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 2019.24.x on S/X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mean use the browser to cause the problem. It's been directly cause and effect for me. I don't know if there is another cause but it seems like it happens right after using the browser, and less often if I don't use it.

Thanks for the tip. In my case, I did not even have the chance to use the browser since it happened right after I installed the 2019.24.4, the usual reboots and offing the car completely (which I always do right after an install). Only then I saw all screen fonts garbled up. It took multiple reboots and leaving the car unused for several hours till all cleared up during the next startup. I recall the gibberish fonts issue had happened once before about six months ago but wasn't after a SW update and fresh recycling of the car.

I can only counter on our ‘17 MS with MCU1 and AP2 that this update was at least as good as .20, if not better.

I had done 2 very similar drives consisting of around 300mi (round trip) each within a week. The first time was on .20, the most recent time on .24.

Both consisted of long stretches of highway in PA, NJ, and NY with good/bad/ugly road markings. Also had a fair share of medium-dense urban driving and midtown NYC. It sounds cliche and perhaps it’s placebo, but I found highway AP on .24 to be more forgiving longitudinally when letting cars merge and detecting merges. I found it tended to detect stopped cars from further away (though can still totally miss them coming around a bend). I found the “dive to the center!” behavior when a lane widens to be much more relaxed. To use a common phrase I’ve seen over the years and updates, .24 felt more confident.

We didn’t lose any range, we didn’t have any MCU crashing, nothing broke AFAIK.

Reactions: croman
As I mentioned earlier, I got the 2019.24.4 update last week. One slight negative that I did notice is that the car seems to hug the center line more when driving in the right lane. Before, it was pretty centered most of the time.

It looks like I got the new maps yesterday but I haven't noticed any differences yet.

• Informative
Today, I actually gained energy. It went from 89% in the morning to 91% by the afternoon. There's something definitely off with the software

Stop stealing our watts!

On a more serious note, the common factor with everyone reporting heightened range loss seems to be TeslaFi. According to TeslaFi my car slept one since the update (and even that sleep looks like a bug on TF's side).
Someone created a ticket on TF's support page, people experiencing this should report this so it gets some attention.

As I mentioned earlier, I got the 2019.24.4 update last week. One slight negative that I did notice is that the car seems to hug the center line more when driving in the right lane. Before, it was pretty centered most of the time.

It looks like I got the new maps yesterday but I haven't noticed any differences yet.

What's the new update # for the new maps?

I'm not in my car right now, but I know it switched from a 2018 version to something like Navigation-Data-NA-2019-20-10487.

Our 3 still has a Navigation Data NA-2019-6-xxxxx version that it received a few weeks back but I'm betting it will be updated any day now.

• Helpful
Another data point:

2016 Model S 90D
AP1 w/ MC1 updated to 2019.24.4

My wife and I can confirm that the hard braking is no longer as hard. First gen autopilot had a nasty habit of slamming on the brakes when it detected a slower merger ahead. So hard you could hear the pedal rebound when it released.

The 2019.24.4 update now seems to have made the braking much softer. I have had multiple instances where previously, I would hover my foot over the accelerator, ready to override the brake attempt. Now I do not even need to bother. The car brakes much more human like when a slower car merges.

The fact that my car is over 3 years old and is still being improved blows my mind.

Yeah that ^^. Maybe need to log in/out if teslafi to see if a difference.

Mine hasn’t slept for since the update either and I use TeslaFi. I’ve changed the polling settings and it stops to enable the car to sleep (prior to this TeslaFi stopped polling when the car stopped reporting the ambient temps which is a pre attempt sleep state). It has made no difference, the car still won’t sleep.

Another owner has logged out of TeslaFi and it made no difference. I’ve tried all the reboots and power down via settings, plus spoke to Support yesterday. Logs checked and nothing showing as abnormal.

It’s a bug IMO, possibly the code that tells the car to stop reporting the ambient temp has been corrupted.

Mine hasn’t slept for since the update either and I use TeslaFi. I’ve changed the polling settings and it stops to enable the car to sleep (prior to this TeslaFi stopped polling when the car stopped reporting the ambient temps which is a pre attempt sleep state). It has made no difference, the car still won’t sleep.

Another owner has logged out of TeslaFi and it made no difference. I’ve tried all the reboots and power down via settings, plus spoke to Support yesterday. Logs checked and nothing showing as abnormal.

It’s a bug IMO, possibly the code that tells the car to stop reporting the ambient temp has been corrupted.

yeah you are probably onto something; I've dicked around quite a bit with TeslaFI as well and was thinking the same thing you are; the temp settings aren't working properly in the new S/W.