Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cool. I work in the Waterloo Region, but will check that out when I drive back home to the GTA this evening. I seem to recall CHFI (98.1) trying HD out back in the '90's but then abandoning it.

I think you're confusing HD Radio and RDS data displays.

HD Radio is digital broadcast radio, specs adopted by the FCC in 2002 (and I have no idea if the CRTC ever adopted it or any alternate standard). Its been optional on some cars for ~5-6 years, and only now starting to become a bit more common...

RDS is an add-on to "regular" FM analog radio signals that gives info avail for display on the car radio (most commonly track titles). RDS was first introduced in Europe in the 80s, and made its way to North America in the 90s, although didn't become common until the 2000s (I had a 2001 BMW that could display it...)...

Two things since the update. First, I have had the doors present without unlocking twice. I had to use the keyfob to unlock. Never happened before update. Second, the car failed to stop. It claimed I had both pedals depressed and I most certainly did not. A bit unnerving. Only problem prior to this (on 4.2) was a switch into neutral after driving a few hundred feet. I also seem to have more difficulties with Bluetooth connectivity than before.

Two things since the update. First, I have had the doors present without unlocking twice. I had to use the keyfob to unlock. Never happened before update. Second, the car failed to stop. It claimed I had both pedals depressed and I most certainly did not. A bit unnerving. Only problem prior to this (on 4.2) was a switch into neutral after driving a few hundred feet. I also seem to have more difficulties with Bluetooth connectivity than before.

Did you do a reboot after the update? Not sure if that would solve the issues. But can't hurt. I agree that would be scary.

I wonder if it is just good practice to always do a reboot after any updates?

I think you're confusing HD Radio and RDS data displays.

HD Radio is digital broadcast radio, specs adopted by the FCC in 2002 (and I have no idea if the CRTC ever adopted it or any alternate standard). Its been optional on some cars for ~5-6 years, and only now starting to become a bit more common...

RDS is an add-on to "regular" FM analog radio signals that gives info avail for display on the car radio (most commonly track titles). RDS was first introduced in Europe in the 80s, and made its way to North America in the 90s, although didn't become common until the 2000s (I had a 2001 BMW that could display it...)...

No, I get the difference... I just didn't think we had any stations broadcasting in HD in the Toronto market. Turns out notailpipe2112 was correct and 95.3 CING is broadcasting in HD. Toronto had a few stations years ago that piloted HD, but abandoned it. I went up and down the dial, and that is the only station left in my market still broadcasting in HD.

I noted that this HD station gives me station name, song title, album art etc., but none of my other FM stations do. HD must send this data out in a different format than RDS. My past two cars have supported RDS data, and pretty much every FM station gave me station name, song info etc. and it was really handy. I'm not sure why the Model S doesn't support RDS since they have all that screen real estate to present the information.

(I'll try to dig up my old post later to link it in but...)

With 4.3, I didn't have song titles on the 17" for Slacker. With initial 4.4, I didn't either. Yesterday I played music from my USB for over an hour and left it paused on a USB song overnight. Today, I switched back to slacker to the same favorite'd station I was previously playing. Now the Slacker song titles show up for me on the 17".

Lots of interesting ideas about how Slacker binaries in the Tesla behave when "inactive" and how updates interact.

No, I get the difference... I just didn't think we had any stations broadcasting in HD in the Toronto market. Turns out notailpipe2112 was correct and 95.3 CING is broadcasting in HD. Toronto had a few stations years ago that piloted HD, but abandoned it. I went up and down the dial, and that is the only station left in my market still broadcasting in HD.

I noted that this HD station gives me station name, song title, album art etc., but none of my other FM stations do. HD must send this data out in a different format than RDS. My past two cars have supported RDS data, and pretty much every FM station gave me station name, song info etc. and it was really handy. I'm not sure why the Model S doesn't support RDS since they have all that screen real estate to present the information.

I agree. My kids noticed right away that this data was missing from regular stations like Q107 or Kiss92, like in our old Volvo, but the Tesla doesn't seem to have it yet. I expect that a future software update will cover it off. The kids need it so they can stay on top of who is making the latest sounds.

I agree. My kids noticed right away that this data was missing from regular stations like Q107 or Kiss92, like in our old Volvo, but the Tesla doesn't seem to have it yet. I expect that a future software update will cover it off. The kids need it so they can stay on top of who is making the latest sounds.

What I do is use Tunin Radio instead. You can select radio stations by Country, State/Province and City. Most, if not all of the stations are there, and when you do it this way, you get the equivalent of RDS data plus album art. Also, you don't have to worry about driving beyond the range of the station (as long as you have a 3G connection). Further, you can go on line and set up a free account to save your favorites. When you log on in the Model S, everything's there!

- - - Updated - - -

I tried turning it off and on again :)

Didn't work...

To re-boot, you have to hold both scroll wheel buttons down for a few seconds until the screen goes dark. It'll then re-start much like when you re-boot a PC. (I assume what you meant above was that you just turned the car off and on).

What I do is use Tunin Radio instead. You can select radio stations by Country, State/Province and City. Most, if not all of the stations are there, and when you do it this way, you get the equivalent of RDS data plus album art. Also, you don't have to worry about driving beyond the range of the station (as long as you have a 3G connection). Further, you can go on line and set up a free account to save your favorites. When you log on in the Model S, everything's there!

Awesome idea! Thanks

Version 4.4 problems

Sadly 4,4 had been the only disaster update for me thu far. Door handles no longer retract, and when they attempt to do so the do it unevenly then immediate pop back out. Can't drive the car in public like this - it's basically screaming "hey come open me up, look around, take whatever you need."
What is frustrating is its been in the service center for 24+ hours to address this problem and was told this this problem was resolved. Evidently not as its doing the same crap upon arrival to my home. AAAAArrrrrgggghhhh!!!!!!!

:cursing::confused:

Sadly 4,4 had been the only disaster update for me thu far. Door handles no longer retract, and when they attempt to do so the do it unevenly then immediate pop back out. Can't drive the car in public like this - it's basically screaming "hey come open me up, look around, take whatever you need."
What is frustrating is its been in the service center for 24+ hours to address this problem and was told this this problem was resolved. Evidently not as its doing the same crap upon arrival to my home. AAAAArrrrrgggghhhh!!!!!!!

:cursing::confused:

First: The simple fix is to turn off the auto-present and walkaway-lock options so that you can use the car normally.

Sounds exactly the same as the issue I and a few others had with v4.3/4.4. It's a version mismatch on the security module and arises from an incomplete installation of the firmware version. Get the service center to pull the security module fuses and reload the firmware. This has been treated in my case as a warranty issue and supported with free ranger service so it shouldn't need your car sitting at the SC for 24+ hours. Worst case scenario is that the BCU needs replacing and that's a reasonably quick job for a Ranger when he has the part available.

I've talked to service twice and they're stumped as to why my reverse camera isn't working.

I also lost my odometer. According to the rep they could see it counting up on their side so it's still tracking, but the section is blank we're it used to show.

I really don't understand how/why there is such variability in what is a closed system. It's not like we are all running different operating systems or something.

I've talked to service twice and they're stumped as to why my reverse camera isn't working.

I also lost my odometer. According to the rep they could see it counting up on their side so it's still tracking, but the section is blank we're it used to show.

I really don't understand how/why there is such variability in what is a closed system. It's not like we are all running different operating systems or something.

PLEASE CONFIRM WHETHER YOU HAVE REBOOTED BOTH SCREENS. (hold in both scroll wheels until center console blanks, both top buttons until dash blanks) These sound like symptoms that have happened to many in past and are solved by a reboot. I've had the odometer issue, cleared up by reboot.

Good point. I've wondered the same thing. I have yet (knock on wood) to experience any issues after a software update. This all makes me wonder why others that have the exact same piece of hardware as me experience these issues. Is it caused by certain settings defined in the system or a corrupt firmware file? I don't know enough about software development to continue speculating but maybe others can comment on exactly what causes these issues.