Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found Auto Present got old fast and turned it off after about 2 days of ownership (I prefer to just tap the handle), but I do use Walk Away Locking. Is this something unique to your car for some reason? I'm wondering if I should turn it back on in my car just to verify everything is okay. I'm inclined to say if it ain't broke, don't mess with it, but on the other hand, I'd like to know if there is something that needs to be seen to.

It wasn't unique to my car on v4.3, but I haven't heard of anyone else having the same issue repeated on v4.4. The cause is a little vague although it seems related to consecutive updates that did not install completely. The Ranger did have conversations with engineers in CA so although it's impossible to say that it didn't happen anywhere else, it does seem like it is a pretty rare occurrence In any case there is a fix and it looks like a complete hardwire reloading of the firmware has done the trick.

(A shout out to Aaron from Tampa service who was here today working on the car - always pleasant and cheerful, works hard to get things right.)

The main thing I noticed after 4.4 was my top pet peeve was fixed: Prior to 4.4 there was only 3 lines of music info on the big 17 inch screen but the little display on the dash gave you all 4 lines of information. I was really annoyed when listening to slacker and the name of the song was not displayed (For example if playing Comfortably Numb it would say "Pink Floyd Radio, The Wall, Pink Floyd" on 3 lines on the 17" screen but on the smaller screen you'd get "Pink Floyd Radio, Comfortably Numb, The Wall, Pink Floyd" on 4 lines of info.

I'm very happy to see this fixed with 4.4

The main thing I noticed after 4.4 was my top pet peeve was fixed: Prior to 4.4 there was only 3 lines of music info on the big 17 inch screen but the little display on the dash gave you all 4 lines of information. I was really annoyed when listening to slacker and the name of the song was not displayed (For example if playing Comfortably Numb it would say "Pink Floyd Radio, The Wall, Pink Floyd" on 3 lines on the 17" screen but on the smaller screen you'd get "Pink Floyd Radio, Comfortably Numb, The Wall, Pink Floyd" on 4 lines of info.

Again one of these things that doesnt seem consistent. I have always had all 4 lines on both screens (Radio station name, Song, Album and Artist)

I'm telling you though, the hovercraft suspension setting really IS great, used it again today.
I called hovercraft months ago. Find your own rumor. :)

- - - Updated - - -

The main thing I noticed after 4.4 was my top pet peeve was fixed: Prior to 4.4 there was only 3 lines of music info on the big 17 inch screen but the little display on the dash gave you all 4 lines of information. I was really annoyed when listening to slacker and the name of the song was not displayed...

I know I saw it in December and I haven't seen it since before March. I'm on 4.4 and it's still absent for me.

- - - Updated - - -

The ambient light buzz seems to have been fixed by v4.4 This was pointed out to me by a Ranger today and sure enough I don't hear it anymore.
Not fixed in my car with 4.4 but there's an interesting twist. Elaborating...

1. Enter the car and close door.
2. Turn off Climate Control.
3. Ambient lights are on at full brightness.
RESULT: No buzz.
4. Set to the Displays to Night Mode explicitly (i.e. not Auto).
5. Set Night Mode brightness to 0%.
6. Observe the Ambient button is not lit active (i.e. it's gray not blue).
7. Tap the Ambient button (activate).
RESULT: Ambient lights dim somewhat and buzz occurs.
8. Tap the Ambient button again (deactivate).
RESULT: Ambient lights at full and no buzz.
9. Repeat steps 7-8 a few times to observe the behavior.
10. Wait for car to "complete entry and seating process" (i.e. wait for timeout).
RESULT: Ambient lights turn off.

Dear Tesla, please make the behavior after step 7 the same as the behavior after step 8. I don't need "dimmable ambients"; I just want quiet ambients.

Had an interesting thing happen today. I had not opened my rear hatch since I got 4.4.

Walked up to back of car and opened the hatch. It opened normally.
Pushed the button to close it and it beeped at me, 2 or 3 times.
Tried fob, no joy.
Got into car and and used screen with car off. No joy.
Stepped on brake and used the screen. Hatch closed.
Opened hatch again and it would not close.
Finally rebooted center console and that fixed the problem.

Had an interesting thing happen today. I had not opened my rear hatch since I got 4.4.

Walked up to back of car and opened the hatch. It opened normally.
Pushed the button to close it and it beeped at me, 2 or 3 times.
Tried fob, no joy.
Got into car and and used screen with car off. No joy.
Stepped on brake and used the screen. Hatch closed.
Opened hatch again and it would not close.
Finally rebooted center console and that fixed the problem.

I opened mine for the first time since 4.4 when showing the car to some work associates, and it worked just fine. I remain amazed by how many things can be "cured" by re-booting the center console. I would never have even thought to try that if the hatch wasn't working!

This amazing car is a collection of computerized subsystems that communicate on a high speed bus. If one of those subsystems get out of sync, things ,like this can happen. When the control computer reboots, it resets all of the subsystems to a known startup state.

One improvement I have noticed on V4.4 is that the Google map night mode bug is gone. Now when the car switches to day mode, the screen refreshes.

And it appears to me that the way the buzz in the map lights was fixed is that those lights do not dim along with the display any more.