Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my car for six months. I believe there is some sort of timeout from the behavior you describe unless something has changed in 5.0, meaning the quick accessibility reverts back to the slow mode after the car isn't contacted for some period of time. Would you mind retrying this after 1/2 hour and an hour of no contact with the car? Thank you in advance.

I don't know when the sleep goes back into effect. Has anybody figured that out yet? In 1/2 hour or hour, it is possible that the car goes back asleep. My point being is not to keep the car awake, but that one could simply launch the app, then go about his or her business for a few minutes. The connection should then be almost instant.

I don't know when the sleep goes back into effect. Has anybody figured that out yet? In 1/2 hour or hour, it is possible that the car goes back asleep. My point being is not to keep the car awake, but that one could simply launch the app, then go about his or her business for a few minutes. The connection should then be almost instant.

It appears that there is what I call an initial 'napping' stage before it goes into the 'sleep' stage. Would be interested if someone with 5.0 agrees and how long it takes to go from one phase to the other if my theory is correct.

I got my haircut today ... came back 40 minutes later and the instrument cluster had to boot up. Whether there's any deeper sleep than that, I don't know. My iPhone app always connects just as fast as it used to.

BTW, a constant 300W power draw is 219 kWh/mo or almost $40/mo for me.

Factor in charging time and driving time and that number drop some, surely. Even so, not a big number compared to our summer power bill--but more than I'd thought. Thanks for the numbers.

- - - Updated - - -

the center screen is still available, so I can use it to open the garage door while I'm waiting for the instrument cluster, etc. Yes, I recognize I spent a few seconds waiting once I was in the seat, but I rushed to get in so that I could show you what happened. Normally, the Tesla logo is in full swing by the time I get seated, and the car is ready by the time I get my seat belt fastened.

Thanks for the video. Interesting that the big screen's available--so a lot of the vampire is from the "car"? I wonder how much more things would improve if the main screen also slept. I'm just curious; not being able to hit the GDO while waiting would be annoying as well. Okay, I have no idea if it would be annoying; yeah I'm still trying to reserve judgement. ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

One day hopefully there'll be no more ICE-exhaust-pollution and we'll drive with "external fresh air intake" setting the whole day long and smell the roses.

You dreamer! And I dream with you. To poke fun at what I wrote, although I meant the bug of precooling/preheating...really the bug is in the ICE car, sending out exhaust, right? ;-) j/k

Factor in charging time and driving time and that number drop some, surely. Even so, not a big number compared to our summer power bill--but more than I'd thought. Thanks for the numbers.

I agree that the number will drop by the time driving, since the car is not sleeping and all systems are powered up. But not during charging. If the car goes to sleep, the power needed to charge the battery will drop by the decrease in the vampire load during the time it is plugged in.

Tesla should definitely have a new mode in their that says "turn on the ac" or similar without having to wait for it to connect. It's pretty trivial to do. Anything can always be done wrong, but it's not hard.

Also if you really care, you could have your car learn the times to usually go to work and come home, and it could wake up out of deep sleep during the times you might be there.

I'm all for any measures that save power. Model S is a unique experience for me in that I'm not used to a car being ready to go once my butt hits the seat. All my previous cars had an initial warm up period, whether for the engine or electronics. I'm used to this, so much so that I still hesitate sometimes before putting MS in Drive.

This is even more important for me without a dedicated place to charge. I welcome any improvement and don't mind the delay.

With the small delay, it can be overcome by using the app to wake things up when you are heading to your car. Like learning to plug your mobile phone in when you get home, it's just another habit you can learn to smooth the process out if the delay bothers you.

dont suppose any of you with Ver 5 can test something for me?

are you able to connect to WPA2-Enterprise AES with radius authentication?

i dont use WPA2-Personal at home.

also do you headlights remember the last setting when turning on the car (IE: if your headlights were set to OFF, do they stay off when you turn on the car? this was a huge annoyance for me turning on and off every time i start the car)

It seems to me that when I unlock the doors remotely using the fob, the wakeup process starts. So in the morning, when I do this in order to unplug the car, by the time I open the door to sit down, it's ready.

Would the car wake up if you simply unplugged it from charging? Or do you have to unlock doors, then unplug, then by the time you're done w/ unplugging and stowing the plug cable away and getting back to the driver's door, the car's ready to go?

Would the car wake up if you simply unplugged it from charging? Or do you have to unlock doors, then unplug, then by the time you're done w/ unplugging and stowing the plug cable away and getting back to the driver's door, the car's ready to go?

Well, I don't know how to unplug it without unlocking the doors. But since I have an HPWC, the stowage of the cable takes almost no time at all.

Warm period is old school ICE think

I'm all for any measures that save power. Model S is a unique experience for me in that I'm not used to a car being ready to go once my butt hits the seat. All my previous cars had an initial warm up period, whether for the engine or electronics. I'm used to this, so much so that I still hesitate sometimes before putting MS in Drive.

No modern ICE "requires" a warm up mode. All modern ICE want you to drive "gently" (no full throttle) for a few minutes. Warm period is old school ICE think with modern ICE cars.

Wouldn't it be COOL if they added a touchscreen "Sleep" and "Wake" times for the car so it would be ready for you in the morning and know when to go to sleep at night... Probably pretty darn easy to add as an option!

Aaron

Yes, +1 that idea. Or go the extra step and have it learn your habits, a la Nest, so you don't even need to go to the 'effort' of scheduling it.

Yes, +1 that idea. Or go the extra step and have it learn your habits, a la Nest, so you don't even need to go to the 'effort' of scheduling it.

That too would be amazing (I have 2 Nests at home) but would require quite a bit more coding..... Id be happy just to have set times, even though I leave each morning at different times - but all within an hour....

Aaron

That too would be amazing (I have 2 Nests at home) but would require quite a bit more coding..... Id be happy just to have set times, even though I leave each morning at different times - but all within an hour....

Aaron

I plan to use Locale on my Android phone to detect when I unplug my phone from the charging cradle in the morning and trigger a script to wake up the Tesla and precondition the car for my morning commute.

I can do something similar when I leave my office WiFi for the drive home.

[video]https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.twofortyfouram.locale&hl=en[/video]