Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Note that this isn't the final version of how things will work. I'd much rather they continue to refine the experience to find a useful balance between energy usage and usability, perhaps with specific user options when it turns out there isn't a compromise that works for most people (make remote access quicker), rather than just doing a half assed sleep mode with a big switch to turn it off.

So by all means give feedback on what you find annoying once you are actually using the new firmware update, but this is a positive direction.

^ This. I totally get what FlasherZ is saying and that it would require modifications to the server, but IMO this makes way more sense now that we have sleep mode. All of my home automation devices poll a cloud server for status updates and I like the feel of the semi-instantaneous response of the app. The advantage of this implementation being that I don't have to wait 45 sec just to shoot a pre-condition or start charging command.

How about a separate app called "Activate Climate Control". One click and a message is sent to the server: "VIN XXXX wants to wake their car up and activate the climate control". I don't need real-time interior temperature readings - heck it's 90 degrees out and my car's been in the sun for three hours! I know it's going to be hot inside but I don't really care if it's 110 or 115! Just let me click once on my phone and start up the climate control using the current car settings.

With a separate app, those who like the real-time information (and waiting for it) can still have that, while those who just want to click-and-go will be happy too. It can't be too hard to do this, right?

^ This. I totally get what FlasherZ is saying and that it would require modifications to the server, but IMO this makes way more sense now that we have sleep mode. All of my home automation devices poll a cloud server for status updates and I like the feel of the semi-instantaneous response of the app. The advantage of this implementation being that I don't have to wait 45 sec just to shoot a pre-condition or start charging command.

C'mon somone has to get IFTTT working. Solves it. Send a text and it'll issue the command to pre-condition.

With a separate app, those who like the real-time information (and waiting for it) can still have that, while those who just want to click-and-go will be happy too. It can't be too hard to do this, right?

OnStar proves that it isn't all that easy. There are many times that the wake-up-and-poll model simply makes a request fall through the cracks.

How about a separate app called "Activate Climate Control". One click and a message is sent to the server: "VIN XXXX wants to wake their car up and activate the climate control". I don't need real-time interior temperature readings - heck it's 90 degrees out and my car's been in the sun for three hours! I know it's going to be hot inside but I don't really care if it's 110 or 115! Just let me click once on my phone and start up the climate control using the current car settings.

This is quite easy to do. I'm not an ObjC or Java programmer, but this is literally just a few lines of code.
I certainly could create a web app that does this in no time. You'd just have to store the credentials in a cookie or something.

OnStar proves that it isn't all that easy. There are many times that the wake-up-and-poll model simply makes a request fall through the cracks.

If there is an API it is easy to do, even if it takes 45 seconds to login the API can wait 45 seconds while you do your stuff and do it for you. If it fails, it will just attempt again.

Edit: Taking a quick look at the API it can probably even be done with a generic webpage or an cross platform html5 app.

I get what you are saying. However, not everything is always about saving energy. Maybe to you, and probably often to me. Just not "always." Sometimes, I may want to quickly access the car to cool it down. Actually, I have someone who delivers my dry cleaning to the car and it would be nice to unlock it for her instantly when she calls. Again, nice to have. Absolutely necessary, no. This is about tweaking things to total optimization. We got something we wanted, now we want it even better. That's the way we role on this forum.

• If I had no choice, I'll take the slow app to save energy. No way going back.
  • My second choice would be to have a user selectable option.
  • My first choice is to have no option to change, and everything still work instantly. Probably not going to happen, but maybe they'll figure a work around.

- - - Updated - - -

Update:
Parked car at 9pm last night with 185 range. This AM at 07:30, still with exactly 185 range. 0 miles of loss.
FYI: parked in garage with temp about 75 degrees.

Wair...0 loss? Way cool if TM isn't waking the car when ambient is ideal.

Wait..
someone delivers dry cleaning to your car?

Isn't OnStar GM? I suspect that Tesla wouldn't have the same problems.

Yes, OnStar is GM. My point was that they use the "immediate local ack, vehicle poll to pick up command" model that has been suggested, and it was very, very frustrating to find (in early versions where you didn't get confirmations) that the car hadn't started to cool down.

Here we have people complaining about having to wait for the mobile app to connect actively to the car through Tesla's web site and suggesting a store-and-forward type model, and my point is that model isn't necessarily as good, either - as that's what OnStar uses (and it experiences pretty consistent failures).

Wair...0 loss? Way cool if TM isn't waking the car when ambient is ideal.

Wait..
someone delivers dry cleaning to your car?
Yep. Two nights in a row with ZERO loss of range. I will charge tonight so can't comment on 3-in-a-row. Perhaps it has to do with the temperature of my garage.

Yes, someone picks up and delivers my dry cleaning to my car. It's totally awesome. I work in a good size office building and the cleaners have a satellite office in the building.

I tried something new this morning with waking up the car from my iPhone. I launched the app, then instead of waiting to connect, I left the app to do other work on the phone. I came back a minute later and the connection was instant. So, it seems that the initial launch of the app sends the signal. No need to stare at the screen, or even leave the app open.

I tried something new this morning with waking up the car from my iPhone. I launched the app, then instead of waiting to connect, I left the app to do other work on the phone. I came back a minute later and the connection was instant. So, it seems that the initial launch of the app sends the signal. No need to stare at the screen, or even leave the app open.

I've had my car for six months. I believe there is some sort of timeout from the behavior you describe unless something has changed in 5.0, meaning the quick accessibility reverts back to the slow mode after the car isn't contacted for some period of time. Would you mind retrying this after 1/2 hour and an hour of no contact with the car? Thank you in advance.