Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really? 4.5 vampire drain is horrible for most of us and I certainly have not noticed a 1/3 reduction compared to 4.4 or 4.3. If there was some reduction in 4.5, this'll be the first I've heard of it.

Please let's reserve the term "horrible" for things that are truly horrible, and please don't extrapolate your concern to "most of us".

I agree drain may be horrible for someone who perhaps has a daily commute on the fringe of battery range and has no charging facility on one end, therefore would have more reserve without drain. Or for someone who regularly wants to leave car parked for extended periods at airport or such.

But for what I suspect is the "silent majority" on this topic -- those of us who generally drive within the car's range and plug in every night -- it is merely annoying at most, and irrelevant at least. Certainly not horrible.

But for what I suspect is the "silent majority" on this topic -- those of us who generally drive within the car's range and plug in every night -- it is merely annoying at most, and irrelevant at least. Certainly not horrible.

9 miles per day vampire loss with FW 4.5 is unacceptable. That is 3 kW loss per day. That is unacceptable. With a 60 kW battery, that is 5% loss per day. That is unacceptable.

My vampire drain over the summer was approx 5 rated miles per day. I don't know whether to attribute that to warmer weather or firmware, but as the overnight temps now begin to drop into the low 50s consistently and until 5.0 is rolled out, should have more data to determine which.

Please let's reserve the term "horrible" for things that are truly horrible, and please don't extrapolate your concern to "most of us".

Thanks for the correction. Let's rephrase it:

4.5 vampire drain is unacceptable for most users that have reported their range losses on this forum and I certainly have not noticed a 1/3 reduction compared to 4.4 or 4.3.

Edit: let's just be clear that the Model S is truly an amazing vehicle and I wouldn't want anything else. That's not to say that it can't be improved and I personally have been waiting quite some time (1 year) for a fix that reduces what I consider to be a serious flaw. I would've taken 5.0 a month ago and put up with an 11 second startup time and a 45 sec mobile app connection time, but hey that's just me.

Last edited:
9 miles per day vampire loss with FW 4.5 is unacceptable. That is 3 kW loss per day. That is unacceptable. With a 60 kW battery, that is 5% loss per day. That is unacceptable.
As someone who parks at the airport a lot, I agree it is unacceptable, in principle. Would I trade my Tesla in for anything else because of it? Hell no. However, it does mean that for longer trips I can't take my car to the airport using the most convenient options (like airport valet parking). But I could plug in at the parking garage (using 110v), or at the off-airport lot which has chargers, so I would say it's not "horrible", and I'm certainly more than happy to wait till they get it right, but it is unacceptable in the long term.

Thanks for the correction. Let's rephrase it:

4.5 vampire drain is unacceptable for most users that have reported their range losses on this forum and I certainly have not noticed a 1/3 reduction compared to 4.4 or 4.3.

Edit: let's just be clear that the Model S is truly an amazing vehicle and I wouldn't want anything else. That's not to say that it can't be improved and I personally have been waiting quite some time (1 year) for a fix that reduces what I consider to be a serious flaw. I would've taken 5.0 a month ago and put up with an 11 second startup time and a 45 sec mobile app connection time, but hey that's just me.

I'm so glad you took my response reasonably... lotsa people on this forum launch if there's any disagreement.

From my perspective, I plug in every night. My longer daily drives are about 230 miles, but typically under 100. I understand I may be spending about 50 cents per night to pay the vampire. I find that very mildly annoying, but certainly not my highest priority... in fact if 5.6 offers option, I'm likely to leave sleep mode off. I suspect that there are lots of others in same situation, and of course most of them would not bother posting because generally posts on this topic are from the people who find it unacceptable.

Nonetheless, since a large sample have concern, I agree it is a priority for Tesla, and they seem to agree too. The fact that they've tried to roll sleep out twice is evidence. Unfortunately, it's about the most complex thing they could undertake, and each time there have been unforeseen issues. Looks like 3rd time is the charm.

Just to show I'm not totally tolerant: What is horribly unacceptable to me is an iphone that won't stay charged all day.

I'm so glad you took my response reasonably... lotsa people on this forum launch if there's any disagreement.

From my perspective, I plug in every night. My longer daily drives are about 230 miles, but typically under 100. I understand I may be spending about 50 cents per night to pay the vampire. I find that very mildly annoying, but certainly not my highest priority... in fact if 5.6 offers option, I'm likely to leave sleep mode off. I suspect that there are lots of others in same situation, and of course most of them would not bother posting because generally posts on this topic are from the people who find it unacceptable.

Nonetheless, since a large sample have concern, I agree it is a priority for Tesla, and they seem to agree too. The fact that they've tried to roll sleep out twice is evidence. Unfortunately, it's about the most complex thing they could undertake, and each time there have been unforeseen issues. Looks like 3rd time is the charm.

Just to show I'm not totally tolerant: What is horribly unacceptable to me is an iphone that won't stay charged all day.

It is my understanding that the 5.0+ (5.6) allows for choosing 'sleep' mode (saves energy) OR 'old mode' (quick wake up/phone connect but more energy loss when not in use)

I have a loaner P85 with 5.0. This morning it took maybe 10-15 seconds for the car to turn on this morning to where I could put the car in reverse and back out of my garage. I may not have even noticed the delay other than having been so familiar with this thread.

For the record, I think it's more a percentage than a straight mileage loss between the two models. My 60 loses about 5 miles per day, not 9, which seems consistent with other 60 owners,

in fact if 5.6 offers option, I'm likely to leave sleep mode off.

You're going to get your choice. I just got an update and went from 5.0 to 5.6 (1.45.32). I'm in the U.S., VIN 196XX and took delivery about a month ago. My car is one that has the GPS problems and I've written to ownership about them (e.g. Nav thinking I'm in the middle of a lake, headed the opposite direction on the highway or it spins), so maybe it's why I got the update pushed out already.

Anyway, at first look, the only changes I've noticed are the ability to choose Energy Saving mode (on or off) and having the Owner's Manual available on screen. I'll see tomorrow if the update included the temporary fix on the GPS problems.

10181585535_51c6ed60e1_c.jpg

10181650566_43f9bae4a2.jpg

10181647606_3d94037690.jpg

For the record, I think it's more a percentage than a straight mileage loss between the two models. My 60 loses about 5 miles per day, not 9, which seems consistent with other 60 owners,
Gear...you're lucky (or I'm unlucky)! I have a 60 and lose roughly 8 mi/day on 4.5, and was losing 10-12 on 4.4.
I wish I only had 5 miles per day or even 9 miles per day. I've lost at least 12-14 miles per day for the last 10 months. (currently on 4.5)