Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.14

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Similar to PhilBa's comments - I've also run large software groups - with aggressive release schedules - and it is possible to do much better than what Tesla has done so far with software releases. The start-stop process of trickling out releases will not work well if Tesla achieves their goal of selling 500,000 cars per year. So the sooner they can get this under better control - the better for Tesla - and for owners.

While some Tesla can make some changes relatively easy, to produce quality software releases will likely require a combination of changes: hiring software development leadership that has a track record of managing large software projects & delivering those products with high quality to their customers, reviewing and upgrading the software architecture to improve areas that have been problematic for quality, implementing automatic testing tools to accelerate regression testing to avoid breaking existing features when new releases are developed, expanding the beta testing program (since bugs are getting through now, that's an indication of inadequate testing), and providing owners more control over the software update process - both in understanding changes prior to installing an update AND the ability to roll back to the previous release should a major problem be encountered.

Tesla can do much better on the functionality and quality of the software in the car - and while the early adopter owners have been pretty forgiving of the missing functionality (such as media playback or navigation) and of the problems that show up in each software release - as Tesla's owner base continues to expand, they risk increasing owner dissatisfaction if they can't get their software release strategy under better control.

And - please don't slow down software releases - it is possible to release software on aggressive schedules without sacrificing quality...

I got an OTA update request on my car this morning. I was running 5.12 already for a while now. Will start the upgrade process now and see what I get.

Edit: oops, I guess I was running 5.11. Just started the update.

Last edited:
I hear you, but respectfully disagree. For comparison I offer the most opaque piece of software ever, Adobe Flash Player. It constantly asks me to upgrade without providing any specific reason. So I don't. Serious security bugs are just as likely to be introduced in the new version as fixed by it -- otherwise, after a decade of patches, the stupid thing would just work. Even hyper-secret Apple provides a high-level summary of what's fixed in each minor release of iOS.

I'm sorry that you never chose to pay attention to them, but they are most definitely there:

Release Notes | Flash Player® 14 AIR® 14

August 12th, 2014

AIR Bugs

[iOS8] A notification dialog is coming after launching any AIR applications. (3771162)
Auto resolve conflicting common library JARs and common resources for multiple ANEs. ADT will throw warning in case of auto-resolve. (3780590)
Flash Player Bugs

Content of Depth buffer on some gpus with OS windows xp is wrong (3778417)
StageVideo with camera doesn't work properly, no video is displayed. (3781244)

If you notice there is a item number next to each fix (this was just the patch for Aug 12 I have here... which everyone should go and apply, BTW)

And that is just the "user friendly" view... the far far more indepth one dealing with security issues and such is here:
Adobe Security Bulletin

That one patch addresses 8 known vulnerabilities which they themselves are documented via CVE numbers (which tracks all exploits for practically all software), and the article includes choice words about the various patches by saying things like this:
These updates address vulnerabilities that could potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system.

Again, the CVE database goes into a bit more detail on the type of exploit and such, but there you have it... THAT is how you release a patch, THAT is transparency, and THAT is what Tesla needs to strive toward... they are not new to the Software Industry, and should know better.

and again, as a PSA, please, if you haven't done so, you should update your Adobe Flash to the latest version.

My car is at the Rockville SC now for a bad TPMS sensor issue and to repair a curb rash on a wheel. I've had numerous issues with 5.12 since it was installed. Asked about an update, and they said that 5.12 is the latest released version, but that they will check if there is something newer. Also told me that a new version (6 ?) should be out in a few weeks.

My car is at the Rockville SC now for a bad TPMS sensor issue and to repair a curb rash on a wheel. I've had numerous issues with 5.12 since it was installed. Asked about an update, and they said that 5.12 is the latest released version, but that they will check if there is something newer. Also told me that a new version (6 ?) should be out in a few weeks.

There are now two versions of 5.12 out there.

If we haven't had any confirmed 5.14 sightings, can we kill this thread?

There are now two versions of 5.12 out there.

If we haven't had any confirmed 5.14 sightings, can we kill this thread?

There's actually at least 3 versions of 5.12 out there, but we have confirmation that at least two versions 5.14 do indeed exist. It appears to be very targeted for some unknown reason and AFAIK has not been seen as an OTA upgrade, but then again I don't think 5.12 was seen OTA until the very latest .39 release.

There's actually at least 3 versions of 5.12 out there, but we have confirmation that at least two versions 5.14 do indeed exist. It appears to be very targeted for some unknown reason and AFAIK has not been seen as an OTA upgrade, but then again I don't think 5.12 was seen OTA until the very latest .39 release.

Tesla sure is trying their best to make the make-sense-and-keep-track-of-updates guys give up.

I got a text from Tesla that 5.14 was just released and will be installed on my car. I will confirm when I pick it up. As noted above, I have been experiencing numerous issues with 5.12 (I believe I have .26) on my car.