Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can also confirm that the car goes to sleep while plugged in and waiting for the scheduled charge time.

I've been keeping a log of the rated range drop and the outside temperature on the legs of my commute where I'm not plugged in and sleep mode is active. I'll report back by the end of the week with how my car did.

With the new algorithms for calculating remaining range, the energy use required to get rated range seems to have dropped.

Previously, if my 30 mile average was at about 306 w/mile, my projected range = my rated range. Now with 5.6, that number is somewhere around 294 w/mile.

Is it possible that newer cars are sleeping better (I.e. losing fewer miles over the same period) than older models? I haven't thoroughly reviewed all the random data points we have here, but I do seem to see a trend in that those reporting > 2-3 miles lost in 24 hours have older cars with lower VINs.

I'm just throwing this out there as a wild guess so please refute my claims if incorrect.

With the new algorithms for calculating remaining range, the energy use required to get rated range seems to have dropped.

Previously, if my 30 mile average was at about 306 w/mile, my projected range = my rated range. Now with 5.6, that number is somewhere around 294 w/mile.

Which is much closer to the mileage number that you need to have rated miles tick off at the same rate as actual miles. When rated miles left in the battery plus miles driven since charge equal miles in the battery as I start, then the mileage is about 290 Wh/mi, very close to your 294 number.

Sleep mode is not working for me. MS lost 11 miles last night. I know sleep mode is enabled as the car executes the wake up process when I leave in the morning. Maybe the cold temps at night? MS is plugged in but not charging. 5.6 installed 60Kwh VIN 4000.

Sleep mode is not working for me. MS lost 11 miles last night. I know sleep mode is enabled as the car executes the wake up process when I leave in the morning. Maybe the cold temps at night? MS is plugged in but not charging. 5.6 installed 60Kwh VIN 4000.

Agree key fob first check… Also, I suspect if someone is monitoring using REST API, it would disturb sleep.

Here's another hypothesis to explain wide variation of perceived overnight loss: we know that part of 5.6 is a refined projected range calculation. let's assume that this now factors in temperature. So, all things being equal, someone who puts to sleep and wakes up in similar environment will see almost no loss in rated range - but someone who puts to sleep in early evening warmth, and wakes up in early morning cold will see lower rated range. I have not checked addresses of all of the posters on this topic to see if the data points match climate, and I have no idea if temperature (either via thermometer or GPS location) is factored into range calc. But this could explain lower AM projected range even if battery is untaxed all night...

PS: I got 5.6 yesterday and will not be a data point because I have sleep mode off and will only turn it on if/when I need it for extra range. For me, <40 cents per day is well spent having car immediately responsive.

Agree key fob first check… Also, I suspect if someone is monitoring using REST API, it would disturb sleep.

Here's another hypothesis to explain wide variation of perceived overnight loss: we know that part of 5.6 is a refined projected range calculation. let's assume that this now factors in temperature. So, all things being equal, someone who puts to sleep and wakes up in similar environment will see almost no loss in rated range - but someone who puts to sleep in early evening warmth, and wakes up in early morning cold will see lower rated range. I have not checked addresses of all of the posters on this topic to see if the data points match climate, and I have no idea if temperature (either via thermometer or GPS location) is factored into range calc. But this could explain lower AM projected range even if battery is untaxed all night...

PS: I got 5.6 yesterday and will not be a data point because I have sleep mode off and will only turn it on if/when I need it for extra range. For me, <40 cents per day is well spent having car immediately responsive.

The beauty of 5.6......You get to choose your power management.

MS is in the garage. Key fob hangs on a key ring in laundry room off the garage. I'd estimate ~15 -20 feet from the MS. I do use the VisableTesla app on my PC but the PC is off at night. Even when I start VT is prompts to wake up the MS. So I know I'm entering sleep mode. Interesting theory on tempurture change.

Is it possible that newer cars are sleeping better (I.e. losing fewer miles over the same period) than older models? I haven't thoroughly reviewed all the random data points we have here, but I do seem to see a trend in that those reporting > 2-3 miles lost in 24 hours have older cars with lower VINs.

I believe it's likely. Tesla continues to improve the car via feature addition so it would not surprise me that individual components are being revised and improved across the board.