Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
False alarm. Everything worked OK this morning. Screens & lights flipped to day mode automatically.

This is one thing they've tweaked in the 5.6 release. It seems to take a bit longer for the car to make the change so that it doesn't do the flip-flop switching in the morning that it used to do. I've found that it sometimes takes a mile or so before it switches to day mode (I always start in the garage, so it's always night time to the car when I start out).

Nigel......You just can't get any TM love! :wink:

r0AYH.gif

Me too. With 5.6 there is a noticeable delay before the lock engages and the port turns blue. It's a bit annoying as my almost-3-year-old is in charge of plugging in the car and he's learned to keep pushing hard on the plug until the port turns blue. The other day I heard him grunting and groaning with all his might until the light changed. Not a deal breaker but just annoying that something that was working perfectly is now less so.

i don't know... i tend to think it's a deal-breaker. putting my piece of **** on AutoTrader tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just noticed this morning that with my 5.6 update I am not able to put the energy display on the right side of the speedo anymore. Is it just me or has that option been removed in 5.6? I don't remember how I got it the energy display there in the first place. I did a little searching on the site and didn't find this discussed, so please point me to a thread if I missed it...

I'll gladly trade 5.6 so I can go back to 4.5. After receiving 5.6 update I now have lost 10 miles of rated range on my Blue 60

Charging overnight on 4.5
178 rated and 208 ideal

Charging overnight on 5.6
169 rated and 196 ideal

5.x changed some of the calculations behind the displayed range, based on the observed battery conditions across the fleet. You're likely seeing that.

5.x changed some of the calculations behind the displayed range, based on the observed battery conditions across the fleet. You're likely seeing that.

That's what I figured. I had the same thing happen in the last update. My concern is that with each update I am showing significantly less range. I assume the range calculations are getting better, so it appears that my battery can't hold the same charge as compared to other 60s.

That's what I figured. I had the same thing happen in the last update. My concern is that with each update I am showing significantly less range. I assume the range calculations are getting better, so it appears that my battery can't hold the same charge as compared to other 60s.

It may very well be a combination of the revised charge figures with a problem in your battery pack. You may want to call the service center and ask them to take a look remotely, if they can.

Wait a minute--you're saying that the car now reads text messages that you've received on your phone while driving? If so, nice!
Even better, for those drivers like me that don't pay much attention to the visual warning cues, if severe battery trauma is detected and reported back to the mother ship, they could text you a message like "You car has experienced severe trauma to the battery pack and is about to catch on fire. Please stop the vehicle and exit with extreme haste before the ambulance chasing lawyers arrive."

Have you done a full, 100% charge since the 5.6 update and if so, what are the rated miles just after the car stops charging at 100% SOC? We know that the calculations for % SOC changed downward from 4.4 to 4.5, and most (but not all) people are reporting decreased rated miles for the same % SOC setting, but that does not tell you what the rated miles are at 100%.

I just received the 5.6 update from the service center (stopped by on my way home) and yesterday I did a 90% SOC to 171. That is about 4-5 miles less than under 4.5 a couple weeks ago, which in turn is several miles less than it was under 4.5 several months ago.

And to add to the data mix, last night at 6 p.m. the car had 158 rated miles before it went to sleep, and this morning at 7 a.m. it was 156 rated miles. I hadn't been tracking my rated miles loss overnight prior to the 5.6 update, but it's probably an improvement of at least 1 or 2 rated miles over the evening as temps have come down into the 40s here and in the garage it probably in the mid to high 50s by the morning. Am going to start tracking daytime losses when my car sits in my work parking lot for about 8 to 10 hours per day.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait a minute--you're saying that the car now reads text messages that you've received on your phone while driving? If so, nice!

Great, so now people are going to be reading text messages while driving their Model S. As if we didn't have enough distracted driving already.