TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Firmware 5.8

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Lloyd, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

I could see this becoming quite annoying.

So, when you're at a public charger in a mall or parking garage, do you have to check the area for other Model S's whose charge port you may have inadvertently triggered?

I know if I returned to my car to find the charge port open I would wonder what was going on.

So you have to manually connect your car to the hotspot every time you put the car in DRIVE? You'd think the car would prioritize WIFI over 3G, even if you have a connectivity package. Or at least have a checkbox to do so.

2. jomo25

jomo25 Active Member

Actually, I specifically tested for this today. It didn't switch to 3G when I engaged Drive. Multiple times it worked as I would like (stuck with my hotspot). Not sure why it didn't earlier (it right after my first connection to the hotspot, so perhaps it wasn't "fully" set). But on my way home it worked perfectly. Will try again tomorrow.

3. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

No, because only the Tesla connectors trigger the charge port door to open.

- - - Updated - - -

That was my experience in a car with v5.6 and I tried it a couple of times. Jomo25 found differently (see his post above).

4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Unless you have your UMC plugged in to a 120v outlet at, say, the airport and there's other Teslas around when you press the button...

5. ModelS1079

ModelS1079 Member

Fell like I am using eight track tapes and floppy disks...

Can I create a hot spot/ tether from my iPhone? (4S)

6. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Go to settings/general/cellular/hotspot on your phone, then tap the 3G icon in your car and it should search and find your hotspot as WiFi. Your phone will give you the access password and Model S remembers the password for future use.

7. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

@mknox: Beat me to it! :tongue:

Still didn't get an answer to my original query, just a deflection. What is the range of the transmitter?

8. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

The OP asked about public chargers.

9. xhawk101

xhawk101 Active Member

Jesus people just put the pedal to the metal! I love the smooth transition and happy to push it all the way when I need it!

10. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Not to put too fine a point on it, but a lot of the public charging stations around here have both J1772 cables and NEMA 5-20 outlets. I've seen stations where a car may be using the J1772 and the next guy is using the "better than nothing" 120v outlet. (Have not seen a Tesla doing this, however!)

11. Monto

Monto Member

I use a 120V outlet at the airport. It takes about 36 hours to top off, but I am gone at least that long. Since I am plugged in, my charge port is open, so it wouldn't matter if someone pushed their button.

12. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Hopefully you won't have 120 volt charging issues on 5.8 like this guy.

13. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

I wrote emails and they won't acknowledge that it changed in ownership or service. It is clearly different so not sure why I'm the only crazy one aho noticed. If I need to pass someone quickly the slower response hurts a lot.

For the tether thing isn't it annoying to always pull out your phone and turn on hot spot. Then turn it off when you get out of the car? Otherwise wouldn't your phone batter die quickly if you left it on?

14. ACDriveMotor

ACDriveMotor Member

I am actually a little less convinced there is a real change to the accel mapping after a few more days. Maybe I am adapting. Alternatively I've since rebooted the driver and center consoles a bunch of times. Maybe there was something there that is now cleared up.

15. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

Rebooting changed my regen back, but the car is still slower accelerating. I never had to floor it before driving around sf ever until i upgraded from 5.6 to 5.8

16. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

FWIW I went from 4.5 to 5.8 and didn't notice any change in accelerator mapping.

17. hans

hans P631

On Android it's very easy to setup an automated task that turns on the hotspot when the phone is connected to the car's bluetooth and turns it back off as soon as you walk away from the car.

18. ACDriveMotor

ACDriveMotor Member

If it is there (and not saying it isn't) it seems subtle. There are times I think I feel the difference and times that I don't. When I do think I feel it there seems less sensitivity to small movements than before.

19. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Please spell that out for the rest of us! Thanks.

20. hans

hans P631