Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just go to a service center, pick up any UMC cable thats plugged into the wall, click the button, and watch every single car around pop their charge ports open.

I could see this becoming quite annoying.

So, when you're at a public charger in a mall or parking garage, do you have to check the area for other Model S's whose charge port you may have inadvertently triggered?

I know if I returned to my car to find the charge port open I would wonder what was going on.

Put the car in drive and it does indeed switch to 3G. However, if your phone/hotspot is already set up a tap of the antenna icon gets you connected and you stay connected until after the car goes from Park to Drive again.

So you have to manually connect your car to the hotspot every time you put the car in DRIVE? You'd think the car would prioritize WIFI over 3G, even if you have a connectivity package. Or at least have a checkbox to do so.

Actually, I specifically tested for this today. It didn't switch to 3G when I engaged Drive. Multiple times it worked as I would like (stuck with my hotspot). Not sure why it didn't earlier (it right after my first connection to the hotspot, so perhaps it wasn't "fully" set). But on my way home it worked perfectly. Will try again tomorrow.

So, when you're at a public charger in a mall or parking garage, do you have to check the area for other Model S's whose charge port you may have inadvertently triggered?

No, because only the Tesla connectors trigger the charge port door to open.

- - - Updated - - -

So you have to manually connect your car to the hotspot every time you put the car in DRIVE?

That was my experience in a car with v5.6 and I tried it a couple of times. Jomo25 found differently (see his post above).

Not to put too fine a point on it, but a lot of the public charging stations around here have both J1772 cables and NEMA 5-20 outlets. I've seen stations where a car may be using the J1772 and the next guy is using the "better than nothing" 120v outlet. (Have not seen a Tesla doing this, however!)

I use a 120V outlet at the airport. It takes about 36 hours to top off, but I am gone at least that long. Since I am plugged in, my charge port is open, so it wouldn't matter if someone pushed their button.

I would say to write to ownership. I can see reasons to have it both ways. My own email is going to suggest that we make the responsiveness an option.

I notice that the SLEEP behavior in 5.8 is different than 5.6. It is more aggressive. On 5.6 I never saw the T on the driver console as it woke up. And I never had huge delays with the mobile app. Now my car seems to be sleeping more deeply and more often. On 5.6 I didn't notice any significant vampire losses, but my car is in parking garages most of the time so temperatures are very moderate. I am experimenting today with Energy Saver mode off to see what the losses are for me. I think I'd like to see a tri-state option: Off (like today's Off), Moderate (5.6 flavor of energy saver), High (5.8 flavor). That seems like it should better span the range of interests.

I wrote emails and they won't acknowledge that it changed in ownership or service. It is clearly different so not sure why I'm the only crazy one aho noticed. If I need to pass someone quickly the slower response hurts a lot.

For the tether thing isn't it annoying to always pull out your phone and turn on hot spot. Then turn it off when you get out of the car? Otherwise wouldn't your phone batter die quickly if you left it on?

For the tether thing isn't it annoying to always pull out your phone and turn on hot spot. Then turn it off when you get out of the car? Otherwise wouldn't your phone batter die quickly if you left it on?

On Android it's very easy to setup an automated task that turns on the hotspot when the phone is connected to the car's bluetooth and turns it back off as soon as you walk away from the car.