Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing that this software update seems to emphasize is that the Tech Package should really be standard equipment on the Models S. In any event, I rarely use navigation in my current car, but I'm really interested to see if the routing options helps on my daily commute. In fact, I think it may even be more useful when going someplace I don't usually go where I don't know all the alternate routes. Fingers crossed.

I still think the reason for 6.0 taking so long was due to a major rewrite of the base firmware. Isn't the real big new feature we are all waiting for third party apps? If 6.0 really is the new platform making way for third party apps, then I'm not surprised at all about how long it took. This also answers why 5.14 has a later build number. 5.14 surely didn't take nearly as long to QA as did 6.0. So 5.14 likely was built later than the 6.0 build we are seeing right now. This actually tells me a lot about their build system. Yes, I am a Build / Release Engineer so I do this stuff all the time.

Have any Canadians received v6.0 over the air? Tesla on Lawrence in Toronto told me that they "still do not know if it will be released over the air and we are booking for mid to end of October to do 6.0 updates." I wonder if it's not available over the air in Canada..

My car was showing the install available dialog this morning and I have no wifi in the garage. I'll install it once I get home from work later. I am currently on 5.9.

?? you mean the charger port? I don't need to charge the car every time I approach from the rear.

Actually I think the issue lies with the antenna location and lack of sensitivity from the rear of the car. It's kinda like a blind spot. So I don't think 6.0 would solve the problem.

And I believe that Power Management option wasn't mentioned in prior discussions of what's new in 6.0. Wonder how that will affect vampire losses.

Actually I am able to open the liftgate from the button over the license plate ONLY if I have the fob. So it does know I have the fob when I'm at the back of the car. So why doesn't it allow the charge port to unlock. Every day I do a dance as I go to the car from the back. Walk up to the rear door, wait a second or two until the door handles present, then step back to unplug the charger, coil up the cord and finally go to the front door, open it and get in. Possibly the fob appears to be too far from the car when I'm at the back of it.

Actually I am able to open the liftgate from the button over the license plate ONLY if I have the fob. So it does know I have the fob when I'm at the back of the car. So why doesn't it allow the charge port to unlock. Every day I do a dance as I go to the car from the back. Walk up to the rear door, wait a second or two until the door handles present, then step back to unplug the charger, coil up the cord and finally go to the front door, open it and get in. Possibly the fob appears to be too far from the car when I'm at the back of it.

I think only the front radio receiver polls for the fob by itself. The ones at the rear poll for the fob only when you press the liftgate switch. You might notice a delay of a fraction of a second for the trunk to open after you press the switch when the car is locked vs when the car is unlocked. - Just my conjecture.

So would it work if you actually USE the button on the fob to unlock the car as you walk up from behind?

New visual for the instrument panel.
emamasas.jpg

They're leaving all the bezels and fake 3D and lens flares and what not to go gradually towards a sleeker and more modern style. Good.

It's like they had to imitate a tradidional car, with it's physical knobs and other 3D objects, at first but now Tesla is becoming more and more sure of them selves and can stop pretending and instead be the first truly modern and tech centered car maker.

Yes. Apps on Android keep running unless they explicitly quit. Apps on IOS need to explicitly request to keep running. Different OS philosophy.

This is not true. If you want it to keep running you have to start a service provider in the code. If an app continues to run when it doesn't need to, it was coded wrong. Having said that, the way Android reports whether or not something is "running" is a bit screwy.

So would it work if you actually USE the button on the fob to unlock the car as you walk up from behind?

Yes if you unlock, but not if you only open the trunk interstingly enough. What I mean is that unlocking the trunk with the FOB does not seem to better "wake" the rear FOB sensor. I often have to unlock the car with the FOB to unplug, when approaching from behind - regardless of if I have opened the trunl with the FOB.