Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After the car sat for a couple hours or so not plugged in, I got a regenerative braking disabled warning message today, one of the coldest days yet. I don't remember this message last year. This is an appropriate warning message.
IMG_4880_1024.jpg

Last edited:
After the car sat for a couple hours or so not plugged in, I got a regenerative braking disabled warning message today, one of the coldest days yet. I don't remember this message last year. This is an appropriate warning message.

I got that yesterday as well after work. Never saw that last year totally agree that it is an appropriate warning message.

I have not seen it this year yet (maybe when I leave work this afternoon!) but got it multiple times last year (often, along with the Power Limited message we were discussing the other day).

Yep... got the message after work yesterday. As I say, it was a fairly regular occurrence last winter, but I no longer get the "Battery is Warming" messages that I also got last winter.

Question: I have not yet seen the blue segment and snowflake icon on the power meter. My car sat for 8 hours unplugged yesterday in 0 F / -18 C yesterday. What does it take to make that appear?

Yep... got the message after work yesterday. As I say, it was a fairly regular occurrence last winter, but I no longer get the "Battery is Warming" messages that I also got last winter.

Question: I have not yet seen the blue segment and snowflake icon on the power meter. My car sat for 8 hours unplugged yesterday in 0 F / -18 C yesterday. What does it take to make that appear?
I park outdoor at home and I see it every time if I forget to preheat.

It takes a really cold battery I presume. Yesterday afternoon I did get the snowflake and blue segment at the end of the green charge bar.

I don't think that's new warning message. I do recall getting regen messages the last two winters when it was disabled due to extreme cold weather.

Yes now I remember but thought perhaps the message was a little different this year, but my memory is going.

I park outdoor at home and I see it every time if I forget to preheat.

Interesting. Another question for Service when my car goes back in. I also have a "buzz" from the drivetrain and cannot ever get full re-gen any more (fully warmed up battery -- even in mild weather). I wonder if it's related? I did have the car in a couple of weeks ago, but there was a huge snowstorm and they were unable to road test it. It's on me to call back and make a follow-up appointment.

- - - Updated - - -

It takes a really cold battery I presume.

I think it was pretty cold. I had the re-gen disabled message and the power limit line was there for a while too... but no blue segment or snowflake.

IIRC, Monday was the first time I saw the regen disabled message. I also saw the snowflake, which I seem to remember seeing a few weeks ago. I've been getting them both most days this week, always when leaving work, even after preheating for 10-20 minutes. Temps have been hovering around 10 F / -12 C. Today was 6 F / -14 C and I really felt the initial impact to acceleration, limited to 60kW.

IIRC, Monday was the first time I saw the regen disabled message. I also saw the snowflake, which I seem to remember seeing a few weeks ago. I've been getting them both most days this week, always when leaving work, even after preheating for 10-20 minutes. Temps have been hovering around 10 F / -12 C. Today was 6 F / -14 C and I really felt the initial impact to acceleration, limited to 60kW.

Do you have 'range mode' turned on in your settings? Charging power connected?

My testing suggests that pre-heating via the app won't heat the battery at all unless a) range mode is off, b) the car is plugged in to mains power, c) the battery is very cold - preheating will never heat it enough to get rid of the regen limit completely, but will heat it enough to get up to about 30kW regen and remove the acceleration limit.

However, my testing is limited by the fact that we don't really have what you guys would call 'cold' here in the UK - it's possible the rules are different at extreme low temperatures.

I saw the snowflake icon and some blue on the power meter for the first time ever 2 days ago. My car was outside with the wind hitting it (wind chill was -35 that day ) .My battery was 50% full. Not sure if the snowflake will appear sooner if your battery is closer to empty. Hope this cold spell ends soon.

Do you have 'range mode' turned on in your settings? Charging power connected?

My testing suggests that pre-heating via the app won't heat the battery at all unless a) range mode is off, b) the car is plugged in to mains power, c) the battery is very cold - preheating will never heat it enough to get rid of the regen limit completely, but will heat it enough to get up to about 30kW regen and remove the acceleration limit.

However, my testing is limited by the fact that we don't really have what you guys would call 'cold' here in the UK - it's possible the rules are different at extreme low temperatures.
Range mode off, not plugged in at work (not available), preheating on HI.

At home, I have charging scheduled to finish within about 30 minutes before I plan to leave and it's in an attached non-heated garage, so I don't really know if preheating has anything to do with the higher regen (starting at around 30kW this week).

Anyway, this is discussion for another thread. We've gone a bit off topic.

Sorry, Im new to the forum and didnt read all pages, since its very big.
My father have a Tesla Model S, and we didnt receive any 6.0 firmware...does anyone know if there is some restrictions in some countrys or even cars?

Thank you very much.

It may be that some countries are missing out. There's a guy in Estonia who doesn't have 6.0 yet. The car needs to be connected to a WiFi network to download, I believe. Could that be the problem?