Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My early Sig got 6.1 on Thursday, so both it and the P85D are now running the same software version. Even without parking sensors and Autopilot hardware, 6.1 is a nice update.

It's time to talk about the regen braking differences between the two cars, both in terms of amplitude and onset. I have regen set to Standard in both cars. When you lift your foot off the accelerator pedal in the D, the onset of regen braking is much slower than it is in the S85, but there's more regen braking available at pretty much any speed. It's a little difficult to characterize because so much of the time lately I see a temperature-related limit on regen; but my sense is that the D's regen onset takes between two and three seconds to ramp up to the max available, while the S85 reaches max regen in half a second or so.

What with the performance and handling differences, the relative 'grabbiness' of the D's friction brakes and the slowness of the D's regen to ramp up, the driving experience between the two cars feels radically different.

@stevezzz, @Cottonwood- Any interest in doing a SpC comparison P85D vs Sig now that both are running the same software? IIRC, someone mentioned that the P85D sustains the current draw better at the end of the SOC range which has me thinking there is a new taper curve.

You have to explicitly schedule it to install. It will NOT automatically install without your acknowledgement.

Agreed. The update will download to your car automatically, but it will NEVER install itself until you affirmatively accept the install.

- - - Updated - - -

Some people wanted to when they didn't want to lose their auto lowering when one firmware revision temporarily removed it.

Exactly.

@stevezzz, @Cottonwood- Any interest in doing a SpC comparison P85D vs Sig now that both are running the same software? IIRC, someone mentioned that the P85D sustains the current draw better at the end of the SOC range which has me thinking there is a new taper curve.

Yes, it would be interesting to see if the A packs now charge to a higher SOC before the taper begins, under 6.1; I hadn't heard about a new taper curve for the D's E pack.

My early Sig got 6.1 on Thursday, so both it and the P85D are now running the same software version. Even without parking sensors and Autopilot hardware, 6.1 is a nice update.

It's time to talk about the regen braking differences between the two cars, both in terms of amplitude and onset. I have regen set to Standard in both cars. When you lift your foot off the accelerator pedal in the D, the onset of regen braking is much slower than it is in the S85, but there's more regen braking available at pretty much any speed. It's a little difficult to characterize because so much of the time lately I see a temperature-related limit on regen; but my sense is that the D's regen onset takes between two and three seconds to ramp up to the max available, while the S85 reaches max regen in half a second or so.

What with the performance and handling differences, the relative 'grabbiness' of the D's friction brakes and the slowness of the D's regen to ramp up, the driving experience between the two cars feels radically different.

@stevezzzz, your review makes me grin that I still have, and plan on keeping, my early VIN Sig for a long time. We may not have the latest gizmos, but the smooth braking and quick regain make for "classic" good handling. Thanks.

Yes, it would be interesting to see if the A packs now charge to a higher SOC before the taper begins, under 6.1; I hadn't heard about a new taper curve for the D's E pack.

I was the one that posted about it. I was at the Newark, DE supercharger heading southbound getting a 100% charge to head straight to Glen Allen, VA. It stayed at a higher rate for longer it seemed. Was at 20kW+ up to at least 95%. Charge rates at other < 90% SoC seemed the same, but the last 10% took much less time.

I *may* be making that trip again in my P85D along with my wife-to-be's P85 soon. If I do I'll make sure to compare. Unfortunately for her, I'll just use TACC to follow her the whole way... lol

S60 was updated Monday. Like.

One thing I noticed today is what seems to be an additional view in the center screen nav app. As it has always done, Hitting the "N" button turns it blue and centers your location on the display, then pushing that button again toggles the display to "forward always up". What I found today was a third mode that puts your entire trip in the display, then it resizes the display as you get closer. So you and the finish are always on the screen. Am I just stupid and it's always been that way? I rarelly use nav and instead just leave the maps view fixed on my local area with traffic turned on, so that's my excuse if it's just operator error. ;)

Also, don't set your next trip while you're still charging, like, at a supercharger. The green "actual" line in the trip consumption graph will continue to offset up as you gain SOC, but the grey "predicted" line will stay fixed based on the SOC when that line was calculated.

One thing I noticed today is what seems to be an additional view in the center screen nav app. As it has always done, Hitting the "N" button turns it blue and centers your location on the display, then pushing that button again toggles the display to "forward always up". What I found today was a third mode that puts your entire trip in the display, then it resizes the display as you get closer. So you and the finish are always on the screen. Am I just stupid and it's always been that way? I rarelly use nav and instead just leave the maps view fixed on my local area with traffic turned on, so that's my excuse if it's just operator error. ;)
Nope, that's new in 6.1.

I'm still waiting for 6.1, checking every few hours. I live about 230 miles from the nearest service center, so I can believe proximity to service center could have an affect on rollout as someone mentioned earlier.

Also, don't set your next trip while you're still charging, like, at a supercharger. The green "actual" line in the trip consumption graph will continue to offset up as you gain SOC, but the grey "predicted" line will stay fixed based on the SOC when that line was calculated.

Yes, this is one of my favourite "featurettes" of this release. My wife and I always used to take turns doing this by hand while on long road trip legs. It is so nice to have it be automatic now!

Concerning the new Energy Prediction feature, see the new thread I started here for more detailed study of its characteristics:

Evaluation and Observations with v6.1 Trip Energy Prediction

Oooh... very nice. That's my preferred use of the center display while I'm taking a trip using NAV.

An observation with a new 6.1 install and playing usb music.
The artwork download seems to be even less reliable now. Playing songs from some fairly well known albums (Santana Supernatural) failed to get any artwork at all, even with a strong signal. It seemed that only 1 in 5 or so songs found a cover - but strangely some of those were much more obscure.
Anybody else seeing this?

The artwork download seems to be even less reliable now. Playing songs from some fairly well known albums (Santana Supernatural) failed to get any artwork at all, even with a strong signal. It seemed that only 1 in 5 or so songs found a cover - but strangely some of those were much more obscure.

For what its worth playing slacker on 6.0 I have noticed quite a few songs not picking up proper album art and displaying the "slacker default" image. It is a bit annoying. Don't know if that is related at all to your issue or something with Slacker. But as I said, I still have 6.0

I just got my 6.1 firmware update and now the hand controls do not work....How do I fix that. the left knob no longer can increase the volume or cannot change stations on media. The right side knob no longer has the ability to call a phone number it has to be done on the screen while driving this is very difficult.
Does anyone have an idea how to remedy thi?

- - - Updated - - -

What is difference between junior member and senior member??

yes me too. Gone from randomly wrong art to none, dunno what is worse. Wish it would just read my stored art.

- - - Updated - - -

I just got my 6.1 firmware update and now the hand controls do not work....How do I fix that. the left knob no longer can increase the volume or cannot change stations on media. The right side knob no longer has the ability to call a phone number it has to be done on the screen while driving this is very difficult.
Does anyone have an idea how to remedy thi?

- - - Updated - - -

What is difference between junior member and senior member??

Sounds as if you need a reboot. Hold in top two thumb buttons until screen goes dark to reboot dash, same with scroll buttons to reboot 17" display. Do while parked.

A junior member has wasted much less time goofing off in this forum! At some number of posts (I think 100), your profile changes. At that point, you can also edit your designation - so if you think concept of "senior member" is a bunch of malarkey, you can put in what you want - as I have and apache guy has, and many others. This is part of the standard forum software that is used for TMC... kinda silly to think quantity of posts relates to quality or seniority!