Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still awaiting 6.1. I wonder if my reporting an issue with the front camera has delayed mine?

I was getting the red 'Front Camera Disabled' message, which I reported to my SC and to Tesla via the helpline - maybe fixing this is taking some time?

Who knows - car is awesome anyway

I got a call from the SC regarding my parking sensor appointment on Monday. It sounds like they're going to install 6.1 manually on Monday, but strongly expect I'll have it by the end of the weekend. They didn't confirm explicitly, but it sounds like they expect the rollout to complete in the next few days. He also noted that unlike past rollouts, corporate wasn't allowing cars to be scheduled for early installs, which echos some of the comments earlier in the thread.

So one way or another I'll have 6.1 when they start testing the sensors, which is good.

Parked my car in the garage last night with all four tire stems at 12 o'clock to initiate the update download. It must have started soon after cuz an hour later - got the notice.

Updated this morn - looks good!!

Do you do this by carefully calculating the turning radius of all four wheels and then driving in such a way as they hit perfectly when you stop in the garage, or do you use the "jack up each corner and rotate the wheel" method?

I do think that's overall a good thing, so service can focus on providing needed service rather than elective updates for impatient owners.
I can see not scheduling or permitting people to stop by for upgrades, but for cars already there for other stuff it seems like an unusual decision.

It seems especially unusual to deny it when it might fix a customer issue, but it sounds like they're permitted to install it in that case.

Parked my car in the garage last night with all four tire stems at 12 o'clock to initiate the update download. It must have started soon after cuz an hour later - got the notice.

Updated this morn - looks good!!

Darn it. I have 3 of my tire stems at 12 o'clock but the 4th one is off and I don't have the strength to jack up a 4600 lb car in order to get them all aligned. Guess I will have to wait until my annual service appointment to get the stems back in alignment ;-)

Darn it. I have 3 of my tire stems at 12 o'clock but the 4th one is off and I don't have the strength to jack up a 4600 lb car in order to get them all aligned. Guess I will have to wait until my annual service appointment to get the stems back in alignment ;-)

My biggest issue with doing that is dealing with the air suspension...it is like 'wack-a-mole'.....But I did get them aligned, and the down load came Immediately!:wink: I have decided to leave the car up on cinder blocks in the driveway hoping for 7.0:biggrin::love:

Seattle SC loaded "6.1" but did not install it (probably to save time). When I got home, the car showed me the ready-to-install screen, just when I was ready to call and complain.

But then it turned out to be a late release of 6.0 (2.0.81) instead.

Reply:
At your appointment this morning, the Seattle service center loaded the latest version of 6.0. Firmware version 6.1 is unfortunately unavailable at service centers at this time and the roll out is currently controlled by engineering only. It will be rolled out over the next weeks.

Last edited:
Do you do this by carefully calculating the turning radius of all four wheels and then driving in such a way as they hit perfectly when you stop in the garage, or do you use the "jack up each corner and rotate the wheel" method?

By 'carefully calculating'..... naw - just keep zig zagging till you get it right. But we can still call it the calculating thing, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Rumor has it that with 3 stems at 12 and one stem at 6, it reverts back one software release. Be careful!!

Are you supposed to get this automatically? I think the Tesla app will notify you and you need to accept. But my car was updated automatically last night without notification...

This would depend on when you last used the car. The way it works is that it comes preset to install sometime in the middle of the night. If the downloading completes after you've parked the car but before the default time, it will install without any action on your part. My updates have always come before I parked the car for the night, so I've never had this automatic type of install.

This would depend on when you last used the car. The way it works is that it comes preset to install sometime in the middle of the night. If the downloading completes after you've parked the car but before the default time, it will install without any action on your part. My updates have always come before I parked the car for the night, so I've never had this automatic type of install.

So if for some reason you just did not want an update (eg: an update that removes a feature), is there no way to just refuse the update?

I've never had an update run automatically. If tesla kicks it off without you assigning a time (even if you assigned one for a previous update), and you go to use your car but it is updating for the next hour + it could cause major problems for someone.

You have to explicitly schedule it to install. It will NOT automatically install without your acknowledgement.

My biggest issue with doing that is dealing with the air suspension...it is like 'wack-a-mole'.....But I did get them aligned, and the down load came Immediately!:wink: I have decided to leave the car up on cinder blocks in the driveway hoping for 7.0:biggrin::love:

Maybe you can put the car in very high and put a cinder block under the one that is misaligned and then out it in low mode and take enough weight off the tire to spin it to align the stems.

On a side note, found the extra energy display graph today. Didn't notice it in the release notes. The estimation has been pretty good for me too. Did a 120 mile round trip in 30 deg weather a consistent 10 mph over the speed limit (which included a good chunk of 75mph driving) and the the car estimated I would have 42% when I got home when I started my journey. I had 37% upon my arrival. I didn't start with a full charge, and my meeting lasted 1 hour so things had to do some warming up during my return journey.

I like that the digraph tells me how "bad" I was at conserving energy on my drive. I can't wait to see it next time I have to hypermile because of being outside the supercharger network. That will be a ski trip next week. Will see how it does on calculations for that trip.

I love the new features.