Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was updated to the "latest" version 6.1 (2.2.105) at the service center yesterday. Actually, they staged the update and I later updated it while waiting for my windshield replacement. The above problem I described has been fixed. Pressing the right scroll wheel no longer deletes internet favorites - it just marks/unmarks them as favorite. But the question is why I only got 6.1 (2.2.105) rather than 6.1 (2.2.113)?

Probably just what they were given. Wouldn't worry too much. The minor update didn't change much and if I am reading your tags correctly shouldn't affect you at all since you don't have a P85D.

I'm sure you will get the minor update soon enough. Based on what we now know it seems that each build is a full image as opposed to an incremental patch. I'm sure that makes everything cleaner on the Dev end but makes distributing the updates eat a lot more bandwidth and such.

Woo hoo! Updated to 6.1 last night! Model S85 VIN 52770 (delivered Sep '14).

The estimated range graph is an improvement, but correlating it to the real world is problematic. What I'd like to see is something like this, where you can see where you're going to be when you need to think about charging.

DSC_4170b.jpg

I was updated to the "latest" version 6.1 (2.2.105) at the service center yesterday. Actually, they staged the update and I later updated it while waiting for my windshield replacement. The above problem I described has been fixed. Pressing the right scroll wheel no longer deletes internet favorites - it just marks/unmarks them as favorite. But the question is why I only got 6.1 (2.2.105) rather than 6.1 (2.2.113)?

I was at my service center yesterday getting my TPMS issue looked at and when I was driving home I noticed the update clock. They had also given me .105 ... the thing is I had already received .113 the day before. They pushed an older update onto my car at the SC!?
I haven't asked them about it yet and being as its Saturday I may not get an answer until Monday but maybe they are pulling .113 because of some issue and .105 is the latest stable build.

I was at my service center yesterday getting my TPMS issue looked at and when I was driving home I noticed the update clock. They had also given me .105 ... the thing is I had already received .113 the day before. They pushed an older update onto my car at the SC!?
I haven't asked them about it yet and being as its Saturday I may not get an answer until Monday but maybe they are pulling .113 because of some issue and .105 is the latest stable build.
or you were queued up for OTA 105 and intergalactic didn't know service center updated you. Another reason to do all OTA.

Woo hoo! Updated to 6.1 last night! Model S85 VIN 52770 (delivered Sep '14).

The estimated range graph is an improvement, but correlating it to the real world is problematic. What I'd like to see is something like this, where you can see where you're going to be when you need to think about charging.

View attachment 70119
I like this - what a great idea!! Much better than the 'old school' E-F meter.

Got update today. Took 30 mins over 3g. Dallas tx.

- - - Updated - - -

31748 is vin

Just to clarify, by the time you see the update icon in the car or get the update notification in the mobile app, the entire update (several hundred MB in size) would have already been downloaded to the car. That may have taken a significant amount of time already over 3G.

I'm assuming that the 30 min you mention is the time the car took to actually apply the update after you chose to install the update; this latter part doesn't have much to do with the speed of the Internet connection except for a few small requests made to Tesla servers during the installation process.

and the saga continues ...

after noticing the rollback of my car's firmware to .105 I find that the reason for going in to the service center in the first place, the service TPMS message, came back. In addition the power steering just gave out and I now have two active service messages and the car is undriveable.

At least the steering went out before I left the garage but was this caused by the failed install of the older firmware (not meant to be installed on top of a newer version), or is it because of an error happening during the TPMS fix which affected both systems or is it just bad luck and the original TPMS issue was a symptom of something else that they didn't get the first time?

I really like the Trip Prediction in 6.1. I have been asking for this for 4 years, originally with Nissan for my LEAF. It will really help me reduce range anxiety on trips with substantial elevation changes. I especially like the way the grey curve for the original prediction diverges from the blue current prediction as you drive if you are not matching Tesla's assumed driving style. This gives you the possibility of adjusting your speed up or down to get yourself back to the predicted loss curve.

I understand many folks are finding the prediction too optimistic. We all vary quite a bit in our driving styles, and preference for efficiency vs speed. EVTripplanner.com deals with this with a master speed adjustment factor. The default for this factor is 1.0, which computes its prediction based upon the local speed limits for each segment of your trip. You can set this factor to 1.1, 1.2, etc to make the estimate less optimistic, if your drive faster than the speed limits. Perhaps Tesla could include a similar factor.

My own driving style is quite efficient, often no more than 265 Wh/miles over a round-trip route if I don't need climate control. Today, without climate control, I was able to beat the estimate on a mostly freeway route, so it was not quite optimistic enough for me. This is fine, because I want their prediction to be conservative.

Today's route is 31 miles each way, with 1Kft elevation loss outbound, and 1Kft elevation gain inbound. I keep up with traffic in the first 2 or 3 lanes, and I arrived at my destination each direction 2 or 3 minutes later than the starting prediction. Here are my trip screen shots, first outbound, then inbound (actually reversed, having entry troubles):

Inbound.jpg

Outbound.jpg

When you do, briefly switch the mode from miles to percentage, to confirm that it actually shows 90%.

Because some other weird thing could be that your slider shows 90%, but somehow your car actually interprets that position differently and charges to a higher percentage. By briefly switching from range in miles to the (newly available) percentage charge remaining, we'd eliminate any doubt. If you car shows 237 range miles remaining, and 90% charge remaining at the same time, and most or all others show 229/90, or something similar, that will certainly be interesting!

^ will do.

Andy, you were right about my being a little higher than the standard 90% mark; a little parallax error when changing it from the mobile app. Fixed that before juicing up all the way today. Netted out at 232 miles at 90%:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422144157.722789.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422144172.904664.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422144183.525157.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422144192.726177.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422144237.063522.jpg

Got 2.2.113 sometime between about 8pm last night and 5pm today and installed it. I was previously on 1.67.43. Glad to see some useful features, especially the guidelines and energy prediction, and I'll see if smart preconditioning is at least as good as VT scheduling which I'll disable for the time being.

Since I was paused in the middle of a podcast (on USB) to be resumed when driving later, I made sure to jot down the episode and time since I was certain the reboots would lose it, as they did.

Received 6.1 (.113) around 5:40pm this afternoon. I did receive the iPhone notification, the install took about 1hr15mins, and there were no issues. Release notes showing update successful appeared when first coming back to the car.

Looking forward to giving it a go here soon. That wait felt like forever!

Just went for a short 6 mile roundtrip drive to the grocery store.

Auto headlight brightness work really great...amazing actually. Didn't get a chance to try TACC as there were no cars in front of me during the short trip.

However, I did run into a big bug and was curious if anyone else had seen it:

When I put the car into reverse to back out of my garage, no backup guidelines appeared. I could see the new park assist display in the instrument cluster, but not under the camera on the touchscreen. Odd. Tried restarting the main display (holding two scroll wheels)...didn't fix it. Tried restarting instrument cluster (hold two top buttons)...didn't fix it.

Then I swapped the camera view from the top half to the bottom half. During the animated transition, I could see the backup guideline overlay, but it disappeared once the camera returned. It looks as if the overlay layer is actually underneath the camera layer, instead of on top of it. Odd. I'll edit this post in a minute and post some video.

Edit: Here's video of the bug:

By the way: Yes, I was in Reverse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Todd

I have seen weird problems in the past when you already have the camera screen on by default and then start backing up. It would seem to get confused when it had two camera screens as the software wanted to make a new camera screen. Do you already have the camera on by default or no?

Just went for a short 6 mile roundtrip drive to the grocery store.

However, I did run into a big bug and was curious if anyone else had seen it:

Owner,

Good thought. Normally I keep the camera view up all the time--I don't think that's rare though, so I can't believe I would be the first to come across this if that were the case.

At any rate, I tested by switching to fullscreen nav--didn't fix it. Then rebooted with fullscreen nav. Didn't fix it. Good thought though.

Andy, you were right about my being a little higher than the standard 90% mark; a little parallax error when changing it from the mobile app. Fixed that before juicing up all the way today. Netted out at 232 miles at 90%:]

I'm actually sorry to hear that was it. It would have been more interesting if it wasn't!

Now as for the fact that your 90% is still resulting in a few more range miles than the rest of us, I wonder if now that could be a result of the fact that for some time you've actually been charging to something like 93 or 94%, and after a few charges to 90% you're going to settle in where the rest of us are now.