Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You could try but the service centers apparently don't even have 6.1. Many have tried but Freemont seems to be doing this their way and sticking their fingers in their ears to block out the complaints.
Probably not even worth a try. The SC thought 6.1 might fix an issue I've been complaining about for over a year. I had a previously-scheduled visit for the issue post-6.1 release. I took it in only for all of us to find out they couldn't install it. They just sent it home. "Just wait longer."

May be a business decision. It takes time and manpower to do software updates at the SC. Whereas, at home, it costs much less to Tesla.

Would you rather have appts scheduled even later (six weeks?) because time is being used to update service vehicles as well as soon to be delivered vehicles?

No, I'd rather they rolled it out to everyone ... But I get why they don't up to a point.

Interesting indeed. Not quite sure if this is a factor but, I've been relatively-deep-cycling the battery atleast once a week. As you can see from the screenshots, my wife and I are taking the battery down to 50-80 miles before topping it off again; essentially plugging it in once a week. I did take the car past the 90% mark (but not all the way to 100%) once last weekend.

Is it possible you actually have or had the charge slider set higher than 90% and just didn't realize it? That 237 is really up there!

Any other P85D drivers see anything higher than 229 range at 90% charge, and if so, what?

Thanks!

Half-expected that question, Andy :) Yes, made very sure I was right on that mark. I'll fill up again this weekend and confirm.

When you do, briefly switch the mode from miles to percentage, to confirm that it actually shows 90%.

Because some other weird thing could be that your slider shows 90%, but somehow your car actually interprets that position differently and charges to a higher percentage. By briefly switching from range in miles to the (newly available) percentage charge remaining, we'd eliminate any doubt. If you car shows 237 range miles remaining, and 90% charge remaining at the same time, and most or all others show 229/90, or something similar, that will certainly be interesting!

What lesson have you learned? Don't make predictions regarding things you don't understand?

Delivering new cars with stable, well understood software makes a lot of sense to me. You really, really don't want new owners to have new problems.

No, I am with Lump on this one. Back on the release of 5.9 (I think it was 5.9...) when I first took delivery of my car, it came from the factory with 5.9 installed and the update had been out less than a week. Keeping in mind that 5.9 included not just the return of lowering the suspension but allowing you more control over those settings. Given that there was that whole fire risk thing being thrown around... if any update would want to make sure it was going to be safe it would be that one, right? ...

I too have spoken to people who got their new car with versions barely a few days old - including 6.0.

Is it possible you actually have or had the charge slider set higher than 90% and just didn't realize it? That 237 is really up there!

Any other P85D drivers see anything higher than 229 range at 90% charge, and if so, what?

Thanks!

Just finished a 90% charge in my garage: I'm seeing 227 Rated at 90% under 6.1(2.2.113). I seem to remember it was 221 miles when I first got the car, under 6.0.

Just finished a 90% charge in my garage: I'm seeing 227 Rated at 90% under 6.1(2.2.113). I seem to remember it was 221 miles when I first got the car, under 6.0.

For all P85D models:

Up to 6.0 (2.0.76), the rated miles were based on a 100% charge of 242 miles.
Since 6.0 (2.0.81) and later, the rated miles are based on a 100% charge of 252 miles.

Until we get the software update with torque sleep, this number is likely not changing up.
Of course, it may change down if the battery starts to degrade (although I would hope not before hitting 10k miles or more...)

Update finally showed up on my fiance's P85. Installing now...

Make sure not to "interrupt" it by opening any doors or launching the mobile app!

Just curious, do you have 6.1? I think most frustration is coming from all of us standing in the cold like outcasts begging for scraps while the forum and Tesla go on and on about how star spangled awesome all these new features are. It can be frustrating and if it weren't for a death in the family I'd probably be much mire ticked about it as I drive long distance and TACC would be a huge improvement.

Tesla needs to COMMUNICATE with us better so that our expectations are managed. Failing to causes too much resentment and conflict when none need be. They really don't seem to get that one, from just changing designs with no warning, to removing features, to software updates... we seem to be an afterthought and that takes the shine off of the warm and fuzzies we normally get from our cars.

I don't know about Tomas, but I only just got the update yesterday. It is annoying to have to wait, and I am all for them making this a better process and I think a little communication could go a long way.

If they want to do updates there way or the highway, then tell us an expected timeframe for the updates to be fully rolled out. This way if you haven't gotten the update by X date then you can call to find out why. If that is two weeks or one month or whatever... Just tell us. Because there are people out there who still don't have 6.0 apparently... Should they just "continue to wait"? That seems a bit crazy to me. And then if they have to delay the rollout due to a problem then they can tell us that too. It will reset our clocks and keep us from clamoring at the company or service centers every day asking and begging for the update.

I get they want to do things their way... But communication should be a big part of that.

Probably not even worth a try. The SC thought 6.1 might fix an issue I've been complaining about for over a year. I had a previously-scheduled visit for the issue post-6.1 release. I took it in only for all of us to find out they couldn't install it. They just sent it home. "Just wait longer."

This is where I take issue with their current rollout plan. If you have a problem with the car, they should work to fix the problem. Especially if it is under warranty. There is a potential fix, and they can't test it because the head office doesn't want them manually installing? That's a problem. What if this was keeping you from being able to drive your car? Would they hold back the update keeping you out of your vehicle until the RNG gods smiled favorably upon you? I would be complaining to someone about this in your case. I am generally one to let things go and be really nice about it, but I would be getting a little upset at this point if I were in your shoes.

It's not necessarily that simple. Numerous sources have indicated that various hardware configurations are enabled in different builds. This would imply that based on your underlying hardware config, a certain update may not even work for your car. Or perhaps a given build hasn't cleared beta testing for a given configuration of car hardware. (And yes, I'm still waiting for 6.1).

That's not to say Tesla's communication couldn't improve. It certainly has PLENTY of room to improve in that area.

It's not necessarily that simple. Numerous sources have indicated that various hardware configurations are enabled in different builds. This would imply that based on your underlying hardware config, a certain update may not even work for your car. Or perhaps a given build hasn't cleared beta testing for a given configuration of car hardware. (And yes, I'm still waiting for 6.1).

That's not to say Tesla's communication couldn't improve. It certainly has PLENTY of room to improve in that area.

I want to buy that as an explanation... I really do. But then you look across the spread of owners (and their vins and various configurations) and if there is an underlying hardware thing it would be something that spans THE ENTIRE LINE of cars from Vin 1 to Vin 70k (or whatever we are up to now). Because we had within just the first 24 hours alone people across all vins getting the update from VIN 40 all the way up to someone with the autopilot hardware... So what "special" hardware is in your car that isn't in those with vins pretty close to yours?

So I'm still trying to figure out the conditions upon which my Slacker Radio turns itself back on again when the car powers up. I thought it depended on whether I used the steering wheel or the touchscreen to turn it off, but that's not panning out.

Curious new symptom is that it used to start playing the song that you stopped before getting out of the car. Now it's already playing a new song, and is well into it.

So I'm thinking maybe the audio starts up when I turn on preheating with the remote app. New A/B experiment in progress...

I want to buy that as an explanation... I really do. But then you look across the spread of owners (and their vins and various configurations) and if there is an underlying hardware thing it would be something that spans THE ENTIRE LINE of cars from Vin 1 to Vin 70k (or whatever we are up to now). Because we had within just the first 24 hours alone people across all vins getting the update from VIN 40 all the way up to someone with the autopilot hardware... So what "special" hardware is in your car that isn't in those with vins pretty close to yours?

I hear you. Another possibility is that they're just rolling out slowly to monitor because of the new TACC feature. Just offering ideas.

At any rate, I doubt they're doing it to torture me--er--us.

For all P85D models:

Up to 6.0 (2.0.76), the rated miles were based on a 100% charge of 242 miles.
Since 6.0 (2.0.81) and later, the rated miles are based on a 100% charge of 252 miles.

Until we get the software update with torque sleep, this number is likely not changing up.
Of course, it may change down if the battery starts to degrade (although I would hope not before hitting 10k miles or more...)

The thing is, it's not quite that simple.

Many of us are seeing slight increases now, with this most recent update. For me it went from generally 224/225 at 90% to 228/229 at 90%. The people above who are now reporting 227 at 90% were probably at 222 or 223 at 90% before this most recent update. And all of those numbers, which are reasonably close to the 90% of 252, don't explain gg_got_a_tesla's new range number of 237 at 90%. Looking at that number I realize it's actually 95% of 250, so I really wonder if even though his slider shows 90%, the car is charging to 95%.