Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an autopilot car with the EM brakes and received an update this morning. It was .116 though--not .139. So I'm not sure this .139 was the brake fix.

Or, .139 was the brake fix for Ds, and .116 was the fix for non-Ds.

Did any Ds get .116, or likewise did any non-Ds get .139?

looks like .139 is an emergency bug fix release to fix a race condition bug in the firmware where the brakes don't work at all right after shifting (gasp!). that bug likely only affects post-TACC cars (aka the cars with electromechanical brakes)

Actually that bug appears fixed in .116 as I was not able to duplicate it today after going from .113 to .116.

- - - Updated - - -

Did any Ds get .116

*raises hand*

Something is different. I just picked up my P85D from the service center. Part of the service included an update to .139. The drive home was cold and uneventful, other than a notably lower power consumption. ~14mi, -6C, steep hills, freeways, it was a good mix of road. 300wh/mi, vs. ~400h/mi lifetime average over 2200mi. There was nothing especially different about the way i'd driven the route (one i've done many times before). Nothing was different about my settings.

Same experience for me this morning.

Pre-Update: It's been in the 20's the last few weeks where I live. Not a whole lot of driving the last few weeks, almost exclusively non-highway driving. I do try to let the car warm up for about 20 minutes in the morning before I take her out. Regen braking is typically under some diminished capacity when I'm out and about for my 5-10 mile drives. But this thing just eats up energy in cold weather. Averaged 549 wh/mi over the last 189 miles since I last reset my trip meter. no, that was not a typo

Post-Update: generally the same conditions. Freezing conditions as usual. Did a 15 mile loop around town. range mode. Honestly I don't remember if insane mode was on (almost certain it was). Averaged 315 wh/mi. Moments of glory in the 280's.

I should have taken a picture of my 30 mile average energy usage. After 15 miles, I could see the pre-update energy usage for the first 15 miles on the screen, and then the next 15 miles had the new software. Night and day. Just cruising at 35 mph it looks like I'm giving it the same juice on my speedometer thingy (worst description ever?), but the energy screen just seems to linger around the "rated" line. I was shocked.

I doubt .139 has real torque sleep. that's something they'll put in release notes at a real feature, not something they'll slip in under the hood.

I am not so sure. Torque sleep is an engineering optimization. Tesla seems to (want to?) act a lot like a consumer electronics company, so I am not surprised this was not added to the release notes. Even in JBs post, Torque Sleep was hardly the star. That was an education piece about range overall, and I suspect will help better inform owners and perspective owners.

We P85D early adopters (especially those coming from P85) are rightfully concerned about range, but, I don't think that means Tesla optimizes communications (including release notes) for those of us who are on these forums. Said another way, torque sleep may just be too geeky for consumer facing release notes.

also, I don't have as well tracked data as some, but my drive to and from work today definitely seemed more efficient. Sub 300 coming home. Range mode off. I suspect torque sleep is works regardless of mode if the conditions are right (constant speed, etc.)

When I asked if preheating the cabin helps to warm up the battery, he said it really doesn't help much because the cabin heat is basically a "toaster oven" heater that is completely separate from the battery warming circuit.

Now I know I have read very much the opposite on these forums, so now I am a bit confused?

i don't know what a tesla ranger is, but I disagree with him/her/it. If I get in my tesla when it's frozen, it will completely disable regen braking and I average 700 wh/mi (double the energy usage). I've learned to turn on the heat to max from my phone. 15 minutes later when I get in and drive away it's like I've been driving it around for 20 minutes.

So today I ended up driving on a planned route that was all highway for 36.5 miles and got 281Wh/mi. This is in acceleration in sport mode, Range Mode ON and had TACC on the entire time. Also TACC set to 65MPH The weather was between 68-72 degrees while on this hopefully scientific testing trip. There were some hills up and down but the net elevation change was zero. Also Climate Control was Off for 90% of the time. There were probably 5-8 miles of traffic on the freeway. For reference I did the same route last week around the same time of day and similar weather and traffic condition, albeit nothing can be perfectly the same but I had it as close as I could get it and got a reasonable 304Wh/mi. That's an increase in efficiency of 7.56%. Now I did add to this trip and ended up driving 73.1 miles with a result of 285Wh/mi for the day. I have averaged 299Wh/mi since updating the car to 2.2.139 over a course of 112.9 miles. Total miles driven 3,329.9 miles and a lifetime average of 371Wh/mi. I expect that number to continue to decrease as the weather gets better and with the supposed Torque Sleep active. But from today's highway driving during good weather conditions it does seem like 6.1(2.2.139) has done something to make the car more efficient. Though the rated range still seems to rest at 312Wh/mi and my 90% charge is still 230 miles give or take a few miles. I would expect with this supposed Torque Sleep activated that the Rated Range would increase. Time will tell.

Given past history it is unlikely torque sleep will be mentioned in release notes. In early days (read early 2013) they used to put acceleration or regen improvements in release notes, but at some point changed to only include features that directly impact user interface. I'm not saying good policy, just stating as fact. And they never acknowledge bugs or fixes, which this is. I believe most you'll see maybe is acknowledgement from JB that it's been rolled out...: after the fact.

Given past history it is unlikely torque sleep will be mentioned in release notes. In early days (read early 2013) they used to put acceleration or regen improvements in release notes, but at some point changed to only include features that directly impact user interface. I'm not saying good policy, just stating as fact. And they never acknowledge bugs or fixes, which this is. I believe most you'll see maybe is acknowledgement from JB that it's been rolled out...: after the fact.

Funny, because my opinion formed on past history is that torque sleep WOULD be in release notes. Torque sleep is not a bug fix, but a new driving efficiency that substantially improves range. In my mind it would make sense for Tesla to put this in the release notes.

i don't know what a tesla ranger is, but I disagree with him/her/it. If I get in my tesla when it's frozen, it will completely disable regen braking and I average 700 wh/mi (double the energy usage). I've learned to turn on the heat to max from my phone. 15 minutes later when I get in and drive away it's like I've been driving it around for 20 minutes.
Thanks for the help from you and several others here to add clarity. I meant to say Tesla Service Ranger, or whatever they are actually called. :wink:

Funny, because my opinion formed on past history is that torque sleep WOULD be in release notes. Torque sleep is not a bug fix, but a new driving efficiency that substantially improves range. In my mind it would make sense for Tesla to put this in the release notes.
Except Tesla essentially promised this would be in the cars at release, so documenting it in release notes is yet again pointing out that it was missing (which they clearly didn't want to do in the first place). I wouldn't be surprised if it was never mentioned in relnotes.

Why is that? The only time you'll need it is during a maximum range highway trip, when you'll be wanting to conserve energy any way you can. The rest of the time, it doesn't matter (and it may not do anything anyway, if you are driving in the city).

I can understand why you would want to be able to control it separately, but if you think about it, it's not really necessary.

I want torque sleep WITH pack heating and 100% HVAC. Tying it to range mode makes no sense to me.

Why is that? The only time you'll need it is during a maximum range highway trip, when you'll be wanting to conserve energy any way you can. The rest of the time, it doesn't matter (and it may not do anything anyway, if you are driving in the city).

I can understand why you would want to be able to control it separately, but if you think about it, it's not really necessary.

This is simply wrong.

For starters, though it is not by any means the most important consideration, electricity does cost money. Why should we pay 10% more when driving on the highway because we also want to do so in comfort? I want to be as efficient as possible on the highway --ALL-- the time, not just when I desperately need the range. I don't want to have to sacrifice comfort in the form of limited HVAC in order to do that.

One reason I do not want to use range mode is that if I forget to disable range mode when exiting the car, I can't preheat my battery when I pre-heat the cabin while plugged in. The result of this would be using more battery power, resulting in even less range and more battery degradation, and also not having regenerative braking available at the start of trips, resulting in more wear on the friction brakes. These are pretty significant negatives.

So if --you-- think about it, it really --is-- necessary.

No.. We would like added efficiency and like to keep the cabin warm. Heating is not an option up here and when it's stinkin cold we need the range the most.

I hope all the people acting so indignant have actually tried range mode. I detect zero difference on cabin temp. Only pack heating which you can solve with toggle for now. Relax, you got the range. Enjoy best car on planet and I'm sure they will change eventually. Or maybe you just love being angry?

This is simply wrong.

For starters, though it is not by any means the most important consideration, electricity does cost money. Why should we pay 10% more when driving on the highway because we also want to do so in comfort? I want to be as efficient as possible on the highway --ALL-- the time, not just when I desperately need the range. I don't want to have to sacrifice comfort in the form of limited HVAC in order to do that.

One reason I do not want to use range mode is that if I forget to disable range mode when exiting the car, I can't preheat my battery when I pre-heat the cabin while plugged in. The result of this would be using more battery power, resulting in even less range and more battery degradation, and also not having regenerative braking available at the start of trips, resulting in more wear on the friction brakes. These are pretty significant negatives.

So if --you-- think about it, it really --is-- necessary.

The simple fix to the second concern is that the range mode setting should be ignored if the car is plugged in.

I hope all the people acting so indignant have actually tried range mode. I detect zero difference on cabin temp. Only pack heating which you can solve with toggle for now. Relax, you got the range. Enjoy best car on planet and I'm sure they will change eventually. Or maybe you just love being angry?
That argument could easily be turned around:

If range mode has no noticeable effect on comfort, regen, etc etc. why does it even exist in the first place?