Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can imagine that this would cause an awful lot of pissed off MS owners (more than there are already). People have been waiting the better part of a year for their cars to finally have the promised autopilot features enabled. If they release it for the Model X before the Model S, then it's kind of just a slap in the face to all the S owners. I understand wanting to have the X released with all the newest features, but if the software is complete, it needs to be rolled out to MS at the same time. Ignoring current customers to get the latest and greatest thing released would be setting a very poor precedent.

As I understand it only a few MX's are going to be shipped in the next month (to founders). I think even Bonnie said she wasn't expecting her Sig, until Nov (based on the sweepstake poll of her delivery).

So the Founders X's might be ahead, but is that a biggie?

- - - Updated - - -

Awww, can't we have the 100-page thread anyway?
I would probably choose songs that US readers had never heard of!

I remember a time in a NY Karaoke bar when a colleague started singing Oasis's Wonderwall to an audience who clearly had no idea what on earth they were listening to :D

As I understand it only a few MX's are going to be shipped in the next month (to founders). I think even Bonnie said she wasn't expecting her Sig, until Nov (based on the sweepstake poll of her delivery).

So the Founders X's might be ahead, but is that a biggie?
Yes, it is. If any X's are shipped with 7.0 and particularly with lane keeping enabled, then it means the feature is ready enough to be in non-beta testing vehicles. If that's the case, the first people to get the software should be people who already have a Tesla and have been waiting months for the feature to finally be enabled. It is a pretty blatant sign that the X's, or at least the first X's to be released, are more important to Tesla than their current customers who have been waiting quite a while now.

Yes, it is. If any X's are shipped with 7.0 and particularly with lane keeping enabled, then it means the feature is ready enough to be in non-beta testing vehicles. If that's the case, the first people to get the software should be people who already have a Tesla and have been waiting months for the feature to finally be enabled. It is a pretty blatant sign that the X's, or at least the first X's to be released, are more important to Tesla than their current customers who have been waiting quite a while now.

Or, because they are Founders, they're all on the beta list.

This is nothing new. Tesla has previously shipped new cars with the latest software while holding back the rest of the fleet. In one case, I remember having to wait a couple months for the latest software on mine after new cars had already been shipping with it.

Exactly :)

On a serious note, whilst cars stopped in the central lanes of a freeway is obviously a dangerous situation (and no-one here wants to see.) Drivers falling asleep at the wheel is probably a higher cause of accidents.

Sleep-deprived driving - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So Tesla and the AP system are in a good position to help in this regard. As AndyW suggests the car can attempt to pull over, but without rear radar/camera (can they use the backup camera?), it is doing it somewhat blind. Proactively attempting to wake a driver to take control wouldn't be an unreasonable thing to add to the Model S's arsenal.

Probably a loud alarm clock sound rather than the radio might make more sense though ;) (If for no other reason than to prevent a 100 page thread on TMC about the correct song to be used :p)

Just blast some AC/DC at 11. That'll work.

Probably a loud alarm clock sound rather than the radio might make more sense though ;) (If for no other reason than to prevent a 100 page thread on TMC about the correct song to be used :p)

Awww, can't we have the 100-page thread anyway?

I would probably choose songs that US readers had never heard of!

I remember a time in a NY Karaoke bar when a colleague started singing Oasis's Wonderwall to an audience who clearly had no idea what on earth they were listening to :D

Just blast some AC/DC at 11. That'll work.

Another couple of songs, and I'm just gonna start the damn thread! :)

Or maybe it's because the X will have newer AP hardware which makes it easier for 7.0 to support those features. Perhaps the beta that is being tested is trying to add those features or a subset of those features using the existing AP hardware currently available on the S.

It could just be that the code is optimized for the new hardware and will be released later for older hardware. This is similar to what Google does when it releases a new update for Android. The newest Nexus devices are shipped with the latest version of Android and older Nexus hardware receives the updates over the following weeks.

“The X will have a step beyond what we’re currently shipping on the autonomous front,” Musk said. “There are a whole bunch of things about the X that have not been revealed.”

Last edited:
No I don't think it means that at all.