Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally got a chance to try out auto parallel parking. Pretty cool. Worked pretty quickly and pretty well. I did it twice in two different spots just messing around.

I don't parallel park often, but when I do I usually center up in the spot. The car preferred to be close to the car in front in both instances, leaving a decent gap behind, and indicated as such on the 17" when it was showing its position in the parking spot. I'd be kind of worried about getting blocked in if I left it like this if when I got back to the car someone had parked close to the rear of my car. Was definitely not enough room to just turn and pull straight out as it left it.

Still cool though, just curious as to why it didn't just leave it centered in the spot.

Still cool though, just curious as to why it didn't just leave it centered in the spot.

If I were to guess, it's probably to maximize parking space. At some point, centering in a spot is greedy; specifically if there's a lot of space behind. This, of course, in cases where there aren't markings for the spots. But yeah, within some parameter, it should center. Greater than a certain amount, it's probably best to choose a front or back vehicle and get a comfortable buffer.

If I were to guess, it's probably to maximize parking space. At some point, centering in a spot is greedy; specifically if there's a lot of space behind. This, of course, in cases where there aren't markings for the spots. But yeah, within some parameter, it should center. Greater than a certain amount, it's probably best to choose a front or back vehicle and get a comfortable buffer.

I guess that makes some sense. These were marked spots, so, not so much... but I'm pretty sure the car didn't know that.

I have to mention that I think this concern on this forum about checking to make sure the lane is clear is a bit overdone. Sure, it's a good idea, but it's hardly "critically important."

If there is a car there, autopilot won't change lanes into it. The only scenario where it would make a difference is if someone is coming up fast in the lane you are changing into, but hasn't gotten close enough to you yet to activate the ultrasonics. This doesn't happen on every lane change, and probably not on 10% of lane changes (although I guess it depends how heavy the traffic is).

Then, it's only a problem if the passing driver doesn't see you, and fails to slow down. This is known as "cutting someone off" and the passing driver might curse at you, I suppose, but they rarely crash into you. And, even more ironic, if they do crash into you, it's classified as entirely their fault!

The blog post doesn't say anything about checking to make sure the lane is clear before tapping the turn signal, but that's critically important. (The release notes do make that clear.) So based on that, I just wouldn't read too much into anything in that blog post.

I have to mention that I think this concern on this forum about checking to make sure the lane is clear is a bit overdone. Sure, it's a good idea, but it's hardly "critically important."

If there is a car there, autopilot won't change lanes into it. The only scenario where it would make a difference is if someone is coming up fast in the lane you are changing into, but hasn't gotten close enough to you yet to activate the ultrasonics. This doesn't happen on every lane change, and probably not on 10% of lane changes (although I guess it depends how heavy the traffic is).

Then, it's only a problem if the passing driver doesn't see you, and fails to slow down. This is known as "cutting someone off" and the passing driver might curse at you, I suppose, but they rarely crash into you. And, even more ironic, if they do crash into you, it's classified as entirely their fault!

You're assuming the Model S will detect a car in the target lane with near 100% accuracy. If the little arc indicators on the toy car are any indication, I would not trust the car to make this decision. It quite often does not "see" vehicles in adjacent lanes when they're directly along side me, mostly. I've had cars slowly pass me while I'm riding in the center lane and the little arcs never appeared at all.

So, I think it's definitely best to just check. It doesn't hurt anything to take a peek at the target lane yourself before hitting the blinker.

The issue is that people don't understand, thanks to Tesla marketing having exaggerated the feature, that the car isn't going to protect them in all cases.

The release notes get it right:

Auto Lane Change.jpg

I'm trying to educate people about the limitations of their cars, so they don't wind up in accidents because they thought their cars would protect them. If you really think that's "a bit overdone" feel free to keep suggesting that people just go ahead and change lanes, since they're likely only going to cut someone off 10% of the time, and most of those times the other driver is going to brake, and when there's an accident, it's going to be the other driver's fault anyway (according to you, although I'm not so sure of that, since it would have been the Tesla changing lanes.)

As for me, I'm going to keep overdoing it, and suggesting, as Tesla does, that people check to make sure that it is safe to merge.

If you get rear-ended, it's always the overtaking car's fault.

I think it's always a good idea to check, but the dangers of not checking seem a bit hyped, that's all. If nothing else, it's rude to cut someone off.

The issue is that people don't understand, thanks to Tesla marketing having exaggerated the feature, that the car isn't going to protect them in all cases.

The release notes get it right:

View attachment 98996

I'm trying to educate people about the limitations of their cars, so they don't wind up in accidents because they thought their cars would protect them. If you really think that's "a bit overdone" feel free to keep suggesting that people just go ahead and change lanes, since they're likely only going to cut someone off 10% of the time, and most of those times the other driver is going to brake, and when there's an accident, it's going to be the other driver's fault anyway (according to you, although I'm not so sure of that, since it would have been the Tesla changing lanes.)

As for me, I'm going to keep overdoing it, and suggesting, as Tesla does, that people check to make sure that it is safe to merge.

That's not correct. If you cut off someone then YOU are going to be at fault. It might be difficult to prove, but if the court believes them - you'll be held at fault.

It's quite understandable - you have a duty to follow at a safe distance, but you can't be held at fault if a car from another lane suddenly cuts you off!

That's not correct. If you cut off someone then YOU are going to be at fault. It might be difficult to prove, but if the court believes them - you'll be held at fault.

It's quite understandable - you have a duty to follow at a safe distance, but you can't be held at fault if a car from another lane suddenly cuts you off!

What if the Tesla is traveling at the speed limit and the car that is overtaking it is exceeding the speed limit? In order for this sort of accident to occur there must be a significant delta between the two cars' speed. Unless the Tesla is moving 20 mph under the speed limit, I don't know that the overtaking car is going to have a very good case.

Sheesh! Why have the accident? Everybody loses! Check!!!!
Absolutely! If someone is driving 15MPH faster in the next lane over, which is often the case in parts of the country where driving tends to be more aggressive, then that's 22 feet per second. Even if the ultrasonics work perfectly at max range, there is less than a second for AP to react and get out of the way. I would never ask AP to change lanes without a visual check.

A visual check by the driver to ensure that it is safe to change lanes before activating Auto Lane Change is definitely "critically important" and Tesla clearly agrees. AP is brand new, the car has no rear facing radar, the ultrasonics can only detect obstacles 16 ft away (a single car length) and despite millisecond software reaction times the laws of physics still apply and it takes significant time to move a 4,700 lb Tesla out of harms way!
Take a half second and visually check the lane you are about to tell the car to move into. If you can't summon up the mental energy to do that much, you should not be using any of the Autopilot features.

Absolutely! If someone is driving 15MPH faster in the next lane over, which is often the case in parts of the country where driving tends to be more aggressive, then that's 22 feet per second. Even if the ultrasonics work perfectly at max range, there is less than a second for AP to react and get out of the way. I would never ask AP to change lanes without a visual check.

Now compare this to my country, where cars often overtake at a speed of 200 km/h (i.e. 125MPH) or more, even when you are driving slowly, maybe 120 km/h (i.e. 75MPH) or behind a truck (80 km/h, 50MPH).

Accidentally using the auto-change lanes feature without checking the mirrors first could easily get you and the guy(s) behind you killed.

I would agree that in Germany, it is "critically important." In the US, not so much.

Again, not saying it's not a good idea, just that it's unlikely to result in an accident.

Now compare this to my country, where cars often overtake at a speed of 200 km/h (i.e. 125MPH) or more, even when you are driving slowly, maybe 120 km/h (i.e. 75MPH) or behind a truck (80 km/h, 50MPH).

Accidentally using the auto-change lanes feature without checking the mirrors first could easily get you and the guy(s) behind you killed.