Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a case where "perfect" may be impossible... There are certainly things that could conceivably go wrong: misidentified type of road, misidentified speed limit (I regularly get on 55 sign on Hwy26 read as 85 (YAY) and a 45mph two lane road where the car things we're in a 25 zone (BOOOO)). That said, in general it seems reasonable to assume that detection quality will go up over time. And I think it is hard to argue that what they are trying to do with the limit is reasonable...

I'm not talking about just detection quality.

I'm suggesting that if several people report to Tesla that divided highway X is being identified by the software as an undivided highway, once confirmed, Tesla will somehow correct things such that the software marks that highway as a divided highway, thereby removing the restrictions. With the implementation they have come up with, Tesla needs to do something like this.

I disagree that it is hard to argue that what they are trying to do is reasonable. I think it is reasonable. I really think they are pushing the limits as far as they feel they safely can, given the current state of the hardware, software, and the political and legislative climates. If they go too far, we could all see much more severe restrictions imposed that none of us want to see. Presumably the software will improve, at which point the restrictions may be eased. It's certain that eventually the hardware will improve, and at that time it's pretty certain that the software will also be much more capable. The current situation is temporary, and a significantly better temporary situation than it appeared we would have a few days ago. I can live with that.

One of our local owners in Charlotte today had "restricted road" on a divided highway. I asked him to try again and submit a "bug report" via the car when he encounters it again. So it does happen.

Had it happen here too, didn't think of submitting a bug report though... Good thinking, I'll do that next time.

NoVa too. At least part of Fairfax County Parkway here is treated as a non-divided road, when there is a grass median between the lanes.

This looks like a lot of scare material and a lot of it isn't factual from what I've seen. It's pretty one-sided too.

It did at first, but he may have been correct about a few of the things. His wording could have been better though.

There is a nag for some owners. There are mis-classifications of roads and undue restrictions.

The way the car displays the firmware release notes is actually pretty cool. It takes into account your particular vehicle's options and displays or hides particular parts based on your particular car. Would make it more difficult to do this in a PDF form or something since they'd have to whip one up for every configuration.

But if they did that (make a PDF), I could print it out (yes, on *paper* which is way easier on the eyes, or my eyes anyway) and read it somewhere other than sitting in my car, in a more comfortable and appropriate reading position. :)

I agree that configuration-specific release notes are cool. They could dynamically generate a PDF for your car (as opposed to my car with different configuration) because they know all the options of every car.

I've seen that too, but it was always secondary roads misclassified as highways. Have you seen highways classified as secondary roads?

None of the major "highways" are classified as surface streets, but I've seen two roads that are divided with grass & tree filled medians seperating traffic that were classified as restricted. They weren't limited access highways with only exit ramps and onramps, however. I've seen similar roads classified as unrestricted including at least two that don't always have a median.

At this point, I'm not 100% certain what the actual basis is for where to impose the limitations. I initially read the notes to say that the ket distinction was the presence or absence of a median strip dividing the two directions of traffic such that you couldn't swerve into oncoming traffic.

Update from my awesome service advisor (thanks Karl, if you're reading this!)

"Just got word that they are starting the roll out this afternoon of 7.1 to California. It still may take a day or two for you to get but it is on its way."

I was just at Burlingame talking to Andrew, the excellent advisor there. My car's touchscreen froze up and went blank yesterday (with reboots not helping) and they had to push a new firmware update to it after entering the diagnostic mode. Alas, Andrew could only push 7.0, 2.9.77 - he did indicate that California cars will start receiving 7.1 OTA in the next couple of days and to ping him for a specific push to my car if it doesn't come around.

Tesla is saying that right now, while Auto Steer is in beta, it is not safe for the software to be used on non-divided highways at all, and that we shouldn't do it. Even so, they are allowing it, with the limitation that the car can't go in excess of 5 MPH over the speed limit, and steer on its own, without the driver also engaging the accelerator pedal. That seems to me to be a pretty fair amount of leniency, considering Tesla is saying the system shouldn't be used under these conditions at all yet.

If you think 5 MPH over the speed limit is too slow to be safe, there's a simple answer: steer the car!

You can't read everything at face value, heh. Yes that is what they say and I agree its not ready for non-highways yet for the large part and always am super cautious when using it, but I strongly disagree with your thinking that they don't actually want us to use it off highways. They absolutely want us to log as many miles as we can off of highways so they can get the data and update their models to make it work better. They can't say that in the press just like anyone who posts a video of themselves speeding is asking for a ticket. If they didn't want us to use it off highways it wouldn't work off highways. :)

I was just at Burlingame talking to Andrew, the excellent advisor there. My car's touchscreen froze up and went blank yesterday (with reboots not helping) and they had to push a new firmware update to it after entering the diagnostic mode. Alas, Andrew could only push 7.0, 2.9.77 - he did indicate that California cars will start receiving 7.1 OTA in the next couple of days and to ping him for a specific push to my car if it doesn't come around.
Awesome news!

But if they did that (make a PDF), I could print it out (yes, on *paper* which is way easier on the eyes, or my eyes anyway) and read it somewhere other than sitting in my car, in a more comfortable and appropriate reading position. :)

I agree that configuration-specific release notes are cool. They could dynamically generate a PDF for your car (as opposed to my car with different configuration) because they know all the options of every car.

It's really not that difficult to make custom/dynamic PDFs. I added this functionality for one of the sites that I support, allowing the user to pick and choose what gets written to the PDF. I think any other good web developer would be able to create them with just a few lines of code. I bet many would appreciate being able to print them out as you mention.

Last edited:
Using 7.1 for several hours yesterday and today on several different roads here in Virginia there were no misclassifications, even handling a road that changes from two lanes to four-lanes divided and then back. All speed limit readings were also correct.
Try that in Oregon with its weird speed signs: http://media.katu.com/images/110513_speed_limit_65_mph_sign.jpg

Tesla can't recognize them. So on a road that I travel you'd be stuck with 30mph on a 50mph road.