Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But you and I use your method for update rituals! Surely you won't resort to heretical methods?

"My software update ritual is to reboot both the IC and the 17". Then I disconnect the wifi and reconnect. (It's never once worked) ;)"
Had I known this would work when the big update 7.0 came out I would have driven the 40 minutes to my ScC and just hung out. Most of us stayed up all night on this forum saying "where's mine" or "downloading now" trying all the magic tricks until we recognized the geographical pattern of the update. Calufornia (my state) was last.

Reactions: JenniferQ
Had I known this would work when the big update 7.0 came out I would have driven the 40 minutes to my ScC and just hung out. Most of us stayed up all night on this forum saying "where's mine" or "downloading now" trying all the magic tricks until we recognized the geographical pattern of the update. Calufornia (my state) was last.

Don't kick yourself. There's no indication that this was working back then. I too, based on what I've been reading, have become convinced that Tesla probably is using some sort of geofencing to update firmware when cars are close to the service centers, just to save the technicians' time. But it seems like a fairly new development.

Reactions: msnow
I received notification for my first update on my 3 week old car yesterday just an hour after driving past a service center. In fact the service center was 1/2 block from the street on which I was driving. This may be a coincidence of course, but it sure feels like my "drive by" triggered a download.

So today I stopped by the Rocklin SC about 7PM and Supercharged. While I was there I checked what WiFi Access Points were available and there were none with the name Tesla Service. So then I walked around the perimeter of the building that was accessible to me and surveyed the area with my mobile phone and still no Tesla Service showed up. So it is either a hidden AP, has a very limited range or it was turned off by the time I arrived. The hours for today were until 6PM.

So today I stopped by the Rocklin SC about 7PM and Supercharged. While I was there I checked what WiFi Access Points were available and there were none with the name Tesla Service. So then I walked around the perimeter of the building that was accessible to me and surveyed the area with my mobile phone and still no Tesla Service showed up. So it is either a hidden AP, has a very limited range or it was turned off by the time I arrived. The hours for today were until 6PM.
I was unable to see tin the long list of wifi hotspots - I just saw the password protected guest network. However, at the bottom of the list is wifi settings. Selecting this, I saw my "known" home network, iPhone hotspot, as well as TeslaService. Looks like a preloaded "known" network. Note that this is the first time I had been at my local San Diego SC. I took delivery in Buena Park.

Does anyone have any specifics as to what this update brought?
Last night I installed 2.24.102 in my "classic" S. Release notes were a single sentence saying "This release contains minor fixes and improvements."

I install every release. I don't try to second guess the manufacturer of the product, as I have no expertise or inside knowledge that will allow me to make an informed judgement on the desirability of any particular release. I have to place a certain degree of trust onto the manufacturer, whether it is a smartphone or a $90,000 car, that if a release creates a serious problem they will correct it because if they don't the bad publicity will be too damaging.

And by "serious problem" I mean something that results in my being unable to use the product as intended, not a disagreement with the manufacturer about the font style used in the UI or the exact placement of information on a display.

-1 for the Geofencing Hypothesis:

It's been approximately 5 weeks since my last update. I was in Minneapolis Sunday and stopped by the Eden Prairie SvC. My car connected to the Tesla Service Wifi and we loitered for about 15 minutes. There still has been no prompt to install an update as of this morning. I was hopeful given the recent postings. Still on 2.20.30.

• Informative
Reactions: Bet TSLA
Last night I installed 2.24.102 in my "classic" S. Release notes were a single sentence saying "This release contains minor fixes and improvements."

I install every release. I don't try to second guess the manufacturer of the product, as I have no expertise or inside knowledge that will allow me to make an informed judgement on the desirability of any particular release. I have to place a certain degree of trust onto the manufacturer, whether it is a smartphone or a $90,000 car, that if a release creates a serious problem they will correct it because if they don't the bad publicity will be too damaging.

And by "serious problem" I mean something that results in my being unable to use the product as intended, not a disagreement with the manufacturer about the font style used in the UI or the exact placement of information on a display.
Transparency would be nice. Not to decide if you want to install it but to see what was fixed or added so we don't have to guess.

Reactions: TaoJones

The problem is that Tesla bundles both critical fixes, and UI updates into the same monolithic push update. If they separated out these two categories, so people can choose to receive all critical or security updates, but not UI updates, that would work much better. If Microsoft can do it for Windows, I think Tesla can do it for their cars. Instead of monolithic firmware updates, issue individual patches. And if Tesla's code is too dependent that they can't separate out form from function, they did it wrong from the beginning.

Reactions: Andyw2100
Transparency would be nice. Not to decide if you want to install it but to see what was fixed or added so we don't have to guess.

Exactly. As owners, we are responsible at least presumptively for every aspect of the operation of the vehicle. It is not helpful to have to wonder what changed. The simple "minor bug fixes and enhancements" line so often seen with app updates at, for example, the Apple Store, is helpful for what it does *not* indicate.

Another example: If an update's release notes do not say, "TACC braking is more aggressive", then the service center doesn't have to waste as much time considering that as a reason for why there's premature rotor wear.

Transparency is not only good - it's a best practice. Blind installations are not good. Could be the most innocuous patch in the world. Doesn't matter. Opacity creates unnecessary FUD, and, type it with me now, FUD is Bad.

Time for development, engineering, marketing, and legal to get on the same page. Owners and service will both benefit, just to name two groups.

Yes, release notes take more work than one might expect. Yes, they're worth it. Kindly display them for review with an "OK" button at the bottom as part of the patch update workflow *before* executing the update.

Instead of monolithic firmware updates, issue individual patches.
You have no idea what you are asking for. Only IBM (that I know of) has ever done this. And that is for mainframe operating systems that must never fail. The expense is mind-boggling, even with only thousands of systems in the field. Every one ends up with unique software.

Doing this would put Tesla out of business within a couple of years. And for what? A preference to give owners, none of whom are sufficiently knowledgeable or competent to act upon the information, more control. Great idea!

Hooray for single fix and all it entails. Highly desirable when free and with no side-effects. Which is never.

Yes, release notes take more work than one might expect. Yes, they're worth it.
So you are advocating for Tesla to make firmware fixes and updates about 20% more slowly than they do now? That's about what it would cost. Maybe more, given that legal would be involved (imagine the liability when you tell somebody something untrue, or they get frightened and don't install a critical update).

Everybody always wants things for free. While Tesla's release notes could be better, good release notes would be very, very expensive, mostly in terms of delayed deployments.

You have no idea what you are asking for. Only IBM (that I know of) has ever done this. And that is for mainframe operating systems that must never fail. The expense is mind-boggling, even with only thousands of systems in the field. Every one ends up with unique software.

I do know what I'm asking for (I actually develop software for a living). And Microsoft already does it for every Windows PC out there. How many hundreds of millions of PCs are out there? I can actually pick and choose exactly which updates are or are not applied to my machine. And for the most part, they all keep running just fine.

But I'm not even asking for that level of detail. I want just two categories. Just send out critical systems, life-dependent updates out, and label them as such, so people can choose to just update those systems. Then send everything else non-critical out as an optional upgrade. Like I just said, if their code is too dependent to do even that, they did it way wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andyw2100 and msnow