Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know if this has happened to anyone else, but on my refreshed MS, the update changes appear fully blank (like whitespace and everything) with just one little box talking about summon. Has this happened to anyone else? It's been like that for the past 3 updates. Next time, I'll grab a picture.

It's literally the weirdest thing ever... I don't know if something is wrong on my particular MS or if TSLA was just lazy and omitted the changelog for some of these smaller updates, but it's like it's not even applicable.

I am going to assume you mean the "What's New" popup (which you can bring up at any time by clicking the "T" at the top and then picking "Release Notes"). That has usually been woefully inadequate about what has really changed. It is the norm for the Tesla. Occasionally you see some decent notes, but most of the time, just some small blip reused on multiple small releases that leave you wondering "what changed?"

I am going to assume you mean the "What's New" popup (which you can bring up at any time by clicking the "T" at the top and then picking "Release Notes"). That has usually been woefully inadequate about what has really changed. It is the norm for the Tesla. Occasionally you see some decent notes, but most of the time, just some small blip reused on multiple small releases that leave you wondering "what changed?"
In the past (in my old MS), it's always shown the complete changelog. Every minor 7.1.x release simply showed the 7.1 changelog. That's no longer the case for me. It looks like a mistake, honestly.

In the past (in my old MS), it's always shown the complete changelog. Every minor 7.1.x release simply showed the 7.1 changelog. That's no longer the case for me. It looks like a mistake, honestly.

This is all I got the last 3 or so updates.
image.jpeg

You know, I was skeptical at first but there might just be something to this whole car-updates-firmware-at-service-center deal.

My experience is as follows:

1) Been on 2.20.30 since May 27th, so over a month and no updates or even update notifications since
2) Dropped off my 2014 P85D at the Burlingame service center on Tuesday, June 28th morning for the Ludicrous upgrade
3) Got an notification last night, Wednesday June 29th at 7:15pm that a software update is available

I know they haven't touched the car yet because it's just been sitting on the lot next to the SC building, and I'm not sure whether it's on WiFi or not but it sure seems like software updates while at a service center is not a coincidence in my case!

It might be more GPS related than actual wifi, some say they just drive by. Tesla must push the updates to all vehicles at the service center and the easiest way to assume that is the case is by the location of the vehicle.

Yeah, that's not right. Assuming you rebooted the 17" and it didn't self correct call your SvC and ask them to push the update again.

My SvC got back to me with this...
Tesla Charlotte said:
Hi Cyclone,

Thank you for your note. I checked in to your firmware inquiry and the last three times your received firmware the download was successful. The last update shows successful 29 days ago. Please let me know if you have any other questions and have a great 4th of July holiday.

So it's possible there is some credence to the idea that being nearby a SvC triggers update fetches. I parked at the Best Buy next door to the Sunnyvale CA SvC for about 20 minutes to run an errand. Wasn't on wifi. When I got back to the car, nothing looked different, but shortly after I parked my car at work (again, no wifi, not plugged in), I got a push notification that a software update is available.

The update I got was also 2.24.102....

I wasn't saying you have to drive by a SVC to get the update, just that the update seems to be triggered faster by stopping by a SVC

Just got 2.24.102 as well. Just had the summons update message in the release notes.

I've been nowhere near a service center or super charger in the last week. It triggered around 1 PM today and took about 30 minutes to complete.

Last edited:
You know, I was skeptical at first but there might just be something to this whole car-updates-firmware-at-service-center deal.

My experience is as follows:

1) Been on 2.20.30 since May 27th, so over a month and no updates or even update notifications since
2) Dropped off my 2014 P85D at the Burlingame service center on Tuesday, June 28th morning for the Ludicrous upgrade
3) Got an notification last night, Wednesday June 29th at 7:15pm that a software update is available

I know they haven't touched the car yet because it's just been sitting on the lot next to the SC building, and I'm not sure whether it's on WiFi or not but it sure seems like software updates while at a service center is not a coincidence in my case!

I was very skeptical about this SC/firmware update connection until today... But here's my story:

Been on build 2.20.30 since updating May 27th, haven't been to SC since then.
Stopped by SC in Van Nuys today to ask a question, parked right out front for 5-10 minutes. I don't think I was connected to their wifi as I've never set it up there/never been there before.

I drove away and approximately 30-40 min later I had a software update notification! Coincidence? Maybe... But sure is interesting considering others have reported similar stories.

Reactions: chillaban
I don't think I was connected to their wifi as I've never set it up there/never been there before.

I think I remember reading in the release notes that added WiFi (way back) that regardless of whether you have WiFi turned on or off it will always connect to the Service Center's WiFi and no setup is required of the user.

I'll have to go see if I can find that.

Mike