Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice try but scroll up, the topic was release notes. You can't prove you're right by changing the topic and insulting known experts with vastly more experience running large teams here.
"The topic" as it were is "Firmware 7.1". In any case I quoted and responded to HankLloydRight's suggestion that Tesla "Instead of monolithic firmware updates, issue individual patches." No mention of release notes anywhere.

Seriously, go bother somebody else. If you wish to respond to something I've written about release notes then quote that so what you're saying isn't a non sequitur.

While my S was at the Service Center getting its new integrated console installed, firmware 2.24.102 was pushed into the car by the Service Center WiFi network. Was told that if your car is within the SC WiFi for a period of time, and it can utilize the software upgrade, then the Service Center WiFi network (servers) will push the release to your car. Apparently I was told, this is something rather new. Works for me.

BTW, the new Integrated Console is really nice... butter smooth hatch, rear cup holders that are hidden for rear passengers, plenty of storage, and a iPhone 6 charging dock (optional) that works with my Tesla leather iPhone cover. The dock comes with two sets of iPhone holder/berths, one set for the 6S+ and another set for the 6S. I put in the 6S+ set, and my 6S, with the leather cover fits in swell. No need to fiddle around with it.

Pretty nice product (essentially the Model X center console but for the S) albeit pretty expensive.

"The topic" as it were is "Firmware 7.1". In any case I quoted and responded to HankLloydRight's suggestion that Tesla "Instead of monolithic firmware updates, issue individual patches." No mention of release notes anywhere.

Seriously, go bother somebody else. If you wish to respond to something I've written about release notes then quote that so what you're saying isn't a non sequitur.
Post# 3239 "release notes".

Post# 3239 "release notes".
And yet you quoted my post #3238 and said it was "factually incorrect" regarding release notes when it wasn't about release notes at all. This just underscores that getting things right is hard -- ironically your claim of error was itself in error due to carelessness. I'll be happy to respond to any comment you have on my actual post about release notes.

Reactions: jgs
And yet you quoted my post #3238 and said it was "factually incorrect" regarding release notes when it wasn't about release notes at all. This just underscores that getting things right is hard -- ironically your claim of error was itself in error due to carelessness. I'll be happy to respond to any comment you have on my actual post about release notes.
Okay, I can clarify this for you.
1. I quoted #3238 that you are factually incorrect regarding @HankLloydRight not knowing what he's talking about (he does) and your belief that no one other than IBM (that you know of) issues individual patches (they do).
2. Post #3239 you quoted @TaoJones comment advocating release notes which is the "topic" (really a subtopic) I was addressing although I can see now you agree Tesla's could be better albeit expensive so I'll concede there's little disagreement on that point other than the expense.

Okay, I can clarify this for you.
1. I quoted #3238 that you are factually incorrect regarding @HankLloydRight not knowing what he's talking about (he does) and your belief that no one other than IBM (that you know of) issues individual patches (they do).
It has already become clear that when when HankLloydRight wrote about "individual patches" that he didn't mean single fix at all, so it seems that was just a misunderstanding. I don't have any idea why he described things that way. And if you want to contest that somebody else (other than IBM) does single fix in any context then you would have to support that rather than just assert it. IBM remains the only one I know of.
2. Post #3239 you quoted @TaoJones comment advocating release notes which is the "topic" (really a subtopic) I was addressing although I can see now you agree Tesla's could be better albeit expensive so I'll concede there's little disagreement on that point other than the expense.
The only useful question to debate is whether the balance is right. I pretty much come down on the side of working software in preference to good documentation whenever a choice is to be made. Just like I advocate resources going to good engineering over better customer communications. You don't get to have everything in a limited world. Making one better almost always means making the other worse. Tesla's choices make sense to me.

Reactions: jgs
It has already become clear that when when HankLloydRight wrote about "individual patches" that he didn't mean single fix at all, so it seems that was just a misunderstanding. I don't have any idea why he described things that way. And if you want to contest that somebody else (other than IBM) does single fix in any context then you would have to support that rather than just assert it. IBM remains the only one I know of.

The only useful question to debate is whether the balance is right. I pretty much come down on the side of working software in preference to good documentation whenever a choice is to be made. Just like I advocate resources going to good engineering over better customer communications. You don't get to have everything in a limited world. Making one better almost always means making the other worse. Tesla's choices make sense to me.
Re that last paragraph we will just have to agree to disagree.

t has already become clear that when when HankLloydRight wrote about "individual patches" that he didn't mean single fix at all, so it seems that was just a misunderstanding. I don't have any idea why he described things that way.

I was really trying to stay out of the snippi^H^H^H^H^H^H drama, but I just want to respond to this. If you read my posts, I wasn't advocating that Tesla do individual patches.. I was just saying it was *possible*. What I was advocating was just two levels of updates, critical and non-critical. So people can feel safe by applying the critical patches as necessary, and also pick and choose the non-critical patches as they desired. I used the single fix example as just an example of what was possible, not that I was saying that's what Tesla should do. I realize the complexity and expense that would entail, and like most of you wouldn't want to see TM spend limited resources doing that. At the same time, if they did architect their platform to separate UI from core/critical function, it would be possible to offer at least those levels of updates. It's not black-and-white (single vs. monolithic), but there are grey areas in between that are achievable given the proper architecture from the start. If that's not what Tesla did, fine, we'll have to live with whatever they send down the line (which is still mostly awesome).

While my S was at the Service Center getting its new integrated console installed, firmware 2.24.102 was pushed into the car by the Service Center WiFi network. Was told that if your car is within the SC WiFi for a period of time, and it can utilize the software upgrade, then the Service Center WiFi network (servers) will push the release to your car. Apparently I was told, this is something rather new.

Wait. What?

You actually asked someone that would know, and got this question that we've been debating for weeks now answered definitively? What were you thinking?

If you're going to go and get solid information like that that's going to spoil all our fun, you need to keep it to yourself! :)

You actually asked someone that would know, and got this question that we've been debating for weeks now answered definitively? What were you thinking?
I tried that at the Palo Alto service center, figuring that if anybody was triggering updates they would be. All I got was a claim of ignorance, which I decided was probably true. How often does the factory let their service people know what's going on? I almost always find that I know more than they do about current issues and such.

Reactions: Tree95
I tried that at the Palo Alto service center, figuring that if anybody was triggering updates they would be. All I got was a claim of ignorance, which I decided was probably true. How often does the factory let their service people know what's going on? I almost always find that I know more than they do about current issues and such.
Yeah same here and it shouldn't be that way.

Does anyone have any specifics as to what this update brought?
TMC Members - I am so sorry that I posted this question less than 24 hours ago. There have now been over 50 rather vitriolic replies to this. Being a relative newby to this site, having my Tesla just 1 month, I had expected someone to point to where perhaps greater detail could be found. So - about me. I lead the software development efforts for a major tier-1 defense company, with over 300 software engineers in my organization. Every software release that we put out is accompanied by an SVD (software version description) that highlights every change - what artifacts were fixed, what requirements have been implemented, safety criticality (DoD 882, DO 178) issues, and the like. Do I expect this from Tesla - no. But it would be helpful, and if not helpful at least entertaining and informative, to get a view into Tesla's software development process. I naively thought that some of the more seasoned members here could shed some light. Instead, I'm disappointed to see what more closely resembles a flame war. I had had better hopes for this forum and for its members. I apologize for post that started this...