Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had an interesting thing happen last night. I had left my car at the airport overnight and when I returned to the car, it showed that I had an update available, but I've already received 2.24.102. Then I notice an error message on the console saying my touch screen isn't working and I need to call service.

I rebooted the screen and the console, everything worked as normal but the update message disappeared.

I had an interesting thing happen last night. I had left my car at the airport overnight and when I returned to the car, it showed that I had an update available, but I've already received 2.24.102. Then I notice an error message on the console saying my touch screen isn't working and I need to call service.

I rebooted the screen and the console, everything worked as normal but the update message disappeared.

That is odd. Did you by chance leave a USB stick or device plugged in?

I'll add to the opposite....
My car was at the Montreal Service Center for 2.5 days for it's annual + a few things.
Car is still on 2.20.45, no update pending.

In a way, this is such an outlier it should probably be disqualified as an example trying to prove or disprove the "automatic update when on service center wifi" theory. I say that because I believe almost without exception, the cars are updated to the latest firmware routinely when in for service visits, and certainly when in for their annual service. If for some reason this did not take place with your car, manually or otherwise, that is so far from the norm, that there could be other issues at work. I won't try to guess what they may be, but the fact remains that this is far from normal.

Just for fun I drove 60 miles to the service center in Milford Connecticut.
I parked in the lot for 30 minutes. I then drove to the Milford north bound supercharger.
I then got a notification of new software which turned out to be 2.24.102
Thanks to the people who suspected that this was possible.

I did the same thing. Drove to the service center and parked for 30 minutes then I saw the software update notification. It seems like service center has a cellular transmitter or some kind to connect to the car. The Wi-Fi there didn't work at all.

I did the same thing. Drove to the service center and parked for 30 minutes then I saw the software update notification. It seems like service center has a cellular transmitter or some kind to connect to the car. The Wi-Fi there didn't work at all.
I drove to the Service Center yesterday and connected to their guest WiFi. I stayed there about 15 minutes. I drove home and about an hour later went out to the car and I got the latest software release ready to download.

You don't have to park in the lot and wait for it to download. My guess is it's a geofence trigger. Just drive by. Maybe sit for a few minutes and then go on your way. By the time you get home it'll be ready to install.

Ok guys, I'm one of the biggest skeptics of this theory, but today I sat for 15 mins in Service Center parking lot to see if I could pick up the 2.26.103 update that ev-fw.com claims is out there. It's been half an hour since leaving the Service Center and nothing yet...

Ok guys, I'm one of the biggest skeptics of this theory, but today I sat for 15 mins in Service Center parking lot to see if I could pick up the 2.26.103 update that ev-fw.com claims is out there. It's been half an hour since leaving the Service Center and nothing yet...
Possible it could be a configuration option that only certain SCs have enabled. I can tell you it's worked 100% of the time for me in San Diego.

See if anyone else at your local SC can make it trigger. Or maybe venture a drive to a location that is know to work.

Who knows for sure.