Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok guys, I'm one of the biggest skeptics of this theory, but today I sat for 15 mins in Service Center parking lot to see if I could pick up the 2.26.103 update that ev-fw.com claims is out there. It's been half an hour since leaving the Service Center and nothing yet...
You didn't state which service center you visited. I mentioned in an earlier post the Rocklin SC on a Saturday after closing hours was unable to connect to the magical Tesla Service access point. It could be the range is limited or maybe the garage is closed on the weekend.

Ok guys, I'm one of the biggest skeptics of this theory, but today I sat for 15 mins in Service Center parking lot to see if I could pick up the 2.26.103 update that ev-fw.com claims is out there. It's been half an hour since leaving the Service Center and nothing yet...

I went to the Service center on Thursday and connected to the guest WiFi for a few minutes. About an hour after I got home I received 2.26.102.

I went to the Austin Service Center today and connected to the WiFi. I have been home for over an hour and have not received a software update notification. :-(

I got 2.26.103 from service yesterday. They said it was the first instance of 2.26.103 and just an hour or so prior 2.24.102 was their latest.

First update I've personally gotten in almost 3 months.

@wk057 I was just going to ask about that. Have they forgiven you and re-enabled software updates, or do you have to go to a SC and have them manually upgrade your car? (Or is there something else that went wrong at the same time you made the P100 announcement that was causing your car to not get updates?)

And speaking of such things have they seen what you did to your wife's car yet? If so, what did they think about it?

Service Center 'stop bys' may be true. For those doing a SC attempt and not getting the latest greatest update - it may be that your particular car is not designated for that update.
For example, I have a 3 yr old Model S (no AP or park sensor features). The latest update available may only have tweaks for AP - thus my Model S would not get it.

Welp, 4 hours after visiting the Service Center, no software update, so I remain a skeptic for now.

Last time they uploaded the logs and downloaded new firmware what seemed to be through the charging port. The tech plugged in the car to charge even though it was almost full and then went to poke on his laptop. 20 - 30 minutes later he unplugged it and lifted it up to look underneath at some minor damage. Never plugged anything inside the car. When I got it back soon after 2.22.50 was waiting to be installed. They didn't have the car long enough to upload the new firmware through Wi-Fi.

The charge port theory has some merit as the firmware on the CHAdeMO adapter is updated via it.

@wk057 I was just going to ask about that. Have they forgiven you and re-enabled software updates, or do you have to go to a SC and have them manually upgrade your car? (Or is there something else that went wrong at the same time you made the P100 announcement that was causing your car to not get updates?)

And speaking of such things have they seen what you did to your wife's car yet? If so, what did they think about it?

Great! I was hoping they didn't maintain a naughty and nice list.

They've seen my wife's car. I've gotten some praise for it, and a little bit of concern. But overall positive.

As for updates, it seems I was on some kind of naughty list, but have been taken off of it for my P85D. My wife's P85 can't get updates officially still, even at the service center, currently. Trying to work through that with Tesla. Basically the issue seems to be that it's now a unique hardware mix in the fleet. Specifically, it's the only autopilot car that has the first gen TPMS sensor hardware. Sounds silly, but it seems this may have tripped some fail-safe on their end.

Anyway... installed 2.26.103... those comprehensive release notes are amazing! (sarcasm) Figured there'd be pages of notes going dozens of updates ahead... (went from 2.16.31 -> 2.26.103)

2016-07-10%2002.05.48-1920.jpg

2016-07-10%2002.06.01-1920.jpg

Great! I was hoping they didn't maintain a naughty and nice list.
:D Of course, there are a few of us still on ancient 2.20.30 -- because the later drops have perhaps not been significant enough from Tesla's POV to push automagically to a significant amount of the fleet. I have not been as excited as some others to try and receive a newer firmware drop with unknown differences -- in my case by driving 90 mins round-trip to my closest SC. But then again, I wouldn't be surprised if I am on a naughty list. You know what I mean. Ah ha.

:D Of course, there are a few of us still on ancient 2.20.30 -- because the later drops have perhaps not been significant enough from Tesla's POV to push automagically to a significant amount of the fleet. I have not been as excited as some others to try and receive a newer firmware drop with unknown differences -- in my case by driving 90 mins round-trip to my closest SC. But then again, I wouldn't be surprised if I am on a naughty list. You know what I mean. Ah ha.
Doubt you're missing much.

• Funny
Reactions: BertL
The last handful of 7.1 versions from 2.20.x to 2.26.x haven't been changing much. I think the dev team is concentrating on the new 8.0 development. If you haven't received one since 2.20.x, I wouldn't worry. Keep in mind the AutoPilot still improves by virtue of the fleet-wide learning (tiles) that are constantly downloaded independently from the software releases, so your AP is still getting better even though you are "stuck" on "old" software. When they release 8.0, then get impatient! =)

2.26.103 updated the following systems (from 2.22.50):
CID (Center Display)
IC (Instrument Cluster)
Gateway
Battery Management
Charger Main Control
Charger Phases
Charge Port
Drive Inverter(s)
Pedal Monitor
Thermal Control
Sunroof/Pano Control
Driver Assistance
Parking Brake
Security

You don't have to park in the lot and wait for it to download. My guess is it's a geofence trigger. Just drive by. Maybe sit for a few minutes and then go on your way. By the time you get home it'll be ready to install.
So the car does not get the software from the service center?
Just being there forces the car to receive a download by LTE or wi fi as you normally would?

Just being there forces the car to receive a download by LTE or wi fi as you normally would?

My understanding is that every car has it's own firmware build. For this to happen the server at Tesla needs to be triggered to build an update for a specific car. The server can't build every version at once so there is some order it follows.

So it's likely by connecting at the service center that it triggers a higher priority. You don't need to stick around to download it as it will come through when it gets done regardless.

It doesn't guarantee that you'll get an update, but it looks like it's almost certain that you'll have a higher priority.

That is how it seems to me. I've tried for weeks to get my refresh to get the DRL update and finally what I did was park at a Best Buy next to the service center.... I was too far to pick up the service or guest wifi but after leaving my car alone and browsing Best Buy for 15 minutes I drove my car back to work and it had an update ready to apply.

My understanding is that every car has it's own firmware build. For this to happen the server at Tesla needs to be triggered to build an update for a specific car. The server can't build every version at once so there is some order it follows.

So it's likely by connecting at the service center that it triggers a higher priority. You don't need to stick around to download it as it will come through when it gets done regardless.

It doesn't guarantee that you'll get an update, but it looks like it's almost certain that you'll have a higher priority.
You mean cars with specific builds and VIN ranges right? I can't imagine each car getting its own unique firmware package. Seems that would be a nightmare to manage.

You mean cars with specific builds and VIN ranges right? I can't imagine each car getting its own unique firmware package. Seems that would be a nightmare to manage.

That's what I initially assumed was the case, but it was claimed otherwise

Ingineer likely can clear up any confusion on whether it's done on an individual car basis, or done with specific builds.

Maybe each car gets an update cryptographically signed specifically for its VIN? That could be automated so there wouldn't be any management overhead. But every firmware download would be unique.

Reactions: javawolfpack

As I understand it, each car has a firmware package built automatically and then encrypted, signed, and sent. Each of these firmware packages are specific for the car, and include only the modules and versions necessary for that car. This saves bandwidth, processing, and eliminates any risk of incorrect firmware or packages getting installed.

Examples:
  • Firmware for the 2nd charger is not packaged and sent to cars that don't have a 2nd charger.
  • Autopilot firmware is not packaged and sent to non-autopilot cars.
  • Air suspension firmware is not sent to coil suspension cars.