Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since introduction of the D, most releases have rolled out quickly. So there's a generation of owners with expectation of getting update within a couple of days. Prior to the D, with a few exceptions, most updates were rolled out over a period of weeks or even > 1 month. It's clear 8.0 will be "back to the future". So I'd suggest newer owners reset expectations and don't worry about it. Of course this post will get buried within an hour....

• Helpful
Reactions: Footbag and bmah
One thing which changed on the media player that I sorely miss is the ability to get to artists or albums on my USB drive by touching the letter of the alphabet. Now it appears scrolling through dozens of pages or typing in a search (which did not find my content) are the only two ways to get to later sections of the catalog. Zydeco and Zappa are a very long way from Abba on my USB. In the past they were each two touches away from each other. My preliminary search attempts across all platforms did not find what was in my iTunes folders.

Tesla posted a decent summa
FWIW I installed the new app 4 or 5 days ago and noticed nothing new in appearance, use or features.
In the past app has had updates where new features don't activate until the car updates
.[/QUOTE]
Yah, I figured that might be the case or it was related to the publicized hack. Still, couldn't help but look for a 'sign from above'. Lol

Just finished reading Teslas 8.0 notes. Some cool stuff !
Software 8.0 is Here

Cut and paste:

General
  1. Touchscreen redesigned around providing a large, uncluttered map
  2. Status bar and app icons will fade when car is driving, reappearing at a tap or when parked
Media Player
  1. Updated "Now Playing" view and controls
  2. Favorites across all media types
  3. Play recent media
  4. Remove media from recent list with press and hold
  5. Improved media search and navigation
  6. Improved TuneIn support and navigation
  7. Updated radio design and navigation
Maps & Navigation
  1. Swipe to navigate to home or office
  2. Controls now hide and show as required
  3. Improved location listing
  4. Map automatic zooming
  5. Option to avoid tolls and ferries
  6. Clearer turn instructions
  7. More visible round trip energy estimate
  8. Choice of time savings before traffic based re-routing
Voice Commands
  1. Voice commands are easier to use
  2. More accurate contact matching
  3. Initiate voice commands with a single press of the steering wheel button
  4. Voice command transcript
  5. Voice command tips
  6. Improved voice command response time
  7. French and German support
Autopilot
  1. Enhanced safety requirement which disables Autosteer during trip when safety warnings are ignored
  2. Redesigned Autopilot indicators
  3. Autopilot has been tuned to be more responsive and smoother in stop-and-go traffic
  4. Vehicles on the instrument panel show direction
Additional Improvements
  1. Consistent airflow from fans throughout the car
  2. Smart climate control based on solar heating and position of the sun
  3. Passenger control of the touchscreen now lasts 30 minutes after the driver has left the car
  4. Intelligent HomeLink notifications
  5. Improved regenerative braking on all-wheel drive cars
  6. Improved Auto Front Door functionality
 (Model X only)
  7. Falcon Wing doors open and close more quickly (Model X only)

Let the whining commence.... :)

Heh! I guess I didn't know you could add favorites that way prior to 8.

The "hold steering wheel" message is now accompanied with a bright flashing ring around the entire IC that starts off slow and picks up speed if you ignore it. Seems to always get my attention even during the day, that was a good UI move.

The Media player is pissing me off. I have about 8G of music, and scrolling through the list to get to the one name, especailly if it's toward the bottom, is an excecise in frustration. C'mon Tesla, don't you guys use this? The scrolling is horrible and you end up accidentally clicking and then have to back out and start over. Where's the quick-jump by first letter?

There are a few bugs in the SpC routing too, it's not foolproof, but at least it no longer tells me to turn around and go back after I just left a station. The map pops up over the top icons automatically, you cannot stop it, so you have to press the top and then wait a second before it drops back down to reveal the icons. They left a few that show through, such as the "T", the time, the Lock icon, etc, but no cell status which I need when on a road trip in the boonies.

So at least they released 2.36 so we can roll back to 7.1 if needed. 8.0 is no longer a point of no return.

Yes, the Tegra3 has a hard life in the CID. It works hard, I doubt there is a lot left to do high-res map rendering. You just wouldn't believe how much code there is and how much is going on in the background. It's a complex beast!

The 7.1 media app did the same thing. Try having 221Gb of music and THEN tell me how frustrating it is.....

Feature list from Tesla:

General
  1. Touchscreen redesigned around providing a large, uncluttered map
  2. Status bar and app icons will fade when car is driving, reappearing at a tap or when parked
Media Player
  1. Updated "Now Playing" view and controls
  2. Favorites across all media types
  3. Play recent media
  4. Remove media from recent list with press and hold
  5. Improved media search and navigation
  6. Improved TuneIn support and navigation
  7. Updated radio design and navigation
Maps & Navigation
  1. Swipe to navigate to home or office
  2. Controls now hide and show as required
  3. Improved location listing
  4. Map automatic zooming
  5. Option to avoid tolls and ferries
  6. Clearer turn instructions
  7. More visible round trip energy estimate
  8. Choice of time savings before traffic based re-routing
Voice Commands
  1. Voice commands are easier to use
  2. More accurate contact matching
  3. Initiate voice commands with a single press of the steering wheel button
  4. Voice command transcript
  5. Voice command tips
  6. Improved voice command response time
  7. French and German support
Autopilot
  1. Enhanced safety requirement which disables Autosteer during trip when safety warnings are ignored
  2. Redesigned Autopilot indicators
  3. Autopilot has been tuned to be more responsive and smoother in stop-and-go traffic
  4. Vehicles on the instrument panel show direction
Additional Improvements
  1. Consistent airflow from fans throughout the car
  2. Smart climate control based on solar heating and position of the sun
  3. Passenger control of the touchscreen now lasts 30 minutes after the driver has left the car
  4. Intelligent HomeLink notifications
  5. Improved regenerative braking on all-wheel drive cars
  6. Improved Auto Front Door functionality
 (Model X only)
  7. Falcon Wing doors open and close more quickly (Model X only)

• Informative
Reactions: sillydriver
One thing which changed on the media player that I sorely miss is the ability to get to artists or albums on my USB drive by touching the letter of the alphabet. Now it appears scrolling through dozens of pages or typing in a search (which did not find my content) are the only two ways to get to later sections of the catalog. Zydeco and Zappa are a very long way from Abba on my USB. In the past they were each two touches away from each other. My preliminary search attempts across all platforms did not find what was in my iTunes folders.

YES! Just watched the video below of the media player in action and that was definitely something I did NOT see.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjMn_7VSePU

Reactions: EMdoc12