Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Paging can only happen if the OS is configured with a swap device, which I would find shocking in the modern age. Paging and swapping were important OS concepts back when DRAM was scarce, but the answer to running out of memory has been "buy more" for years now.

Thankfully Tesla pushes out OTA updates all the time, which hopefully include memory management optimizations.

Thankfully Tesla pushes out OTA updates all the time, which hopefully include memory management optimizations.

Sadly (to this old hacker), performance tuning is a less and less common activity. Moore's Law delivers compute and memory faster than frugal programmers can save it, but Moore's Law doesn't deliver new features -- so that's what 95% of programmers do. In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the key enabling technology in AutoPilot 2.0 hardware is simply more CPU and DRAM.

Sadly (to this old hacker), performance tuning is a less and less common activity. Moore's Law delivers compute and memory faster than frugal programmers can save it, but Moore's Law doesn't deliver new features -- so that's what 95% of programmers do. In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the key enabling technology in AutoPilot 2.0 hardware is simply more CPU and DRAM.

I get your point, but I optimistically disagree. :) I'm usually one of the first to say, "Let's throw some hardware at it" or even more so recently, "Spin up another VM with higher specs", instead of spending another sprint on perf optimizations. But this is slightly different, since once you get the car you're not getting any hardware boosts afterwards. So software-level perf optimizations and UI enhancements are pretty much all they can do (with the exception of a physical retrofit).

I say optimistically up top, because I'm hoping that's what they're focused on. Who knows, they may not be spending as much time on perf as we'd like them to. ;)

I'm happy for all you spotify adherents. I'd just like to be able to turn the media OFF so it stays off. Every time I open the door to get in, I reach over to the steering and push the sound off. I want to listen to it on MY schedule, not whenever I get in the car.

I know, I know. What does "OFF" mean?

Also, Nav. What a pain. I just got back from a little jaunt to LA, and I got off track a half dozen times (with only 30 miles of charge, looking for the SC!) and got misdirected many times. It becomes de rigueur to look at the map, decide how to get there, and let the Nav re route. 8.0 downloads tonight, so I'll get to check it out tomorrow.

I'm happy for all you spotify adherents. I'd just like to be able to turn the media OFF so it stays off. Every time I open the door to get in, I reach over to the steering and push the sound off. I want to listen to it on MY schedule, not whenever I get in the car.

I know, I know. What does "OFF" mean?

Also, Nav. What a pain. I just got back from a little jaunt to LA, and I got off track a half dozen times (with only 30 miles of charge, looking for the SC!) and got misdirected many times. It becomes de rigueur to look at the map, decide how to get there, and let the Nav re route. 8.0 downloads tonight, so I'll get to check it out tomorrow.

8.0 downloads tonight? Really?

RT

I get your point, but I optimistically disagree. :) I'm usually one of the first to say, "Let's throw some hardware at it" or even more so recently, "Spin up another VM with higher specs", instead of spending another sprint on perf optimizations. But this is slightly different, since once you get the car you're not getting any hardware boosts afterwards. So software-level perf optimizations and UI enhancements are pretty much all they can do (with the exception of a physical retrofit).

I say optimistically up top, because I'm hoping that's what they're focused on. Who knows, they may not be spending as much time on perf as we'd like them to. ;)
Optimism is a good thing. Thanks for continuing to bring it forward for all of us.

Unfortunately the reality to-date with Tesla is a number of even acknowledged-by-Tesla firmware bugs have gone unresolved -- some for years. The focus appears to be on fixing issues that are safety related (which is a good thing), negative issues that get focused on by the press, and for the most part, AP and new features that are important to Elon's future vision and will make the press, while sometimes adding useless functionality like Easter Eggs that get a short-lived chuckle -- but don't move a growing number of Beta code functions other than AP into a fully-supported state, or fix the growing list of more mundane things that "bug" a growing number of real owners and prevent some of us from being extremely satisfied with our Tesla. I suspect things like "code optimization" falls even further down on Elon and Tesla's to-do list, unless it becomes a no-choice decision to squeeze new AP functionality into the existing (and finite) hardware MS and MX already have.

Given Tesla's track record, my personal hope is "code optimization" occurs because Tesla has elected to make major sections of code reusable (like Infotainment) between not just MS and MX, but also M3, at the same time they are cleaning up things, fixing bugs, and bringing Infotainment functionality up-to-snuff with what the competition has had for many years. E.g. there is no reason (except for perhaps Marketing) why most Media Player or Nav functionality needs to be significantly different between models other than perhaps the UI because of the existing 17" CID and the M3 physical interfaces. I would hope Elon NEVER allows some of the horrible usability bugs we put up with in MS/MX to propagate to an even larger number of future vehicles. That would not be good for the new owners, the brand, or frankly MS/MX owners as the Tesla Service infrastructure would crumble trying to deal with "the growing hoards" of likely less technical and forgiving owners than we likely are today. Elon really needs to deliver a bullet-proof and once-again functionally rich set of code ASAP for the growth to successfully happen as fast as he, Tesla Shareholders, and we all want to see. Unlike every other Mfgr, Tesla has the ability and infrastructure in 100% of the fleet to accomplish the task if they choose to prioritize it. So far they have not.

...but yes, I too continue to hope for improvements that are long overdue. GIven the Service reality I've encountered since delivery, I just don't have the same "bright-eyed and bushy-tailed" optimistic view I did almost a year ago. (That analogy sure dates me!) I DO hope my POV changes. 8.0 (and 8.1) is another opportunity for Tesla to knock my and all of our socks off.

Last edited:
Sorry, I only got to play with 8 while the car was stationary, so drive rail was off, and no AP stuff. Car did have AP. To me without being able to look "under the hood", it appears as though it's the same Linux/Qt framework, but with new skins. Performance was fine, I didn't experience any lagging, but again, with a limited time to play.

I can say that even with what we currently have, Tesla has done a good job working around the limitations of the Tegra 3. I have an old Nexus 7 tablet with the same CPU, and it doesn't run Android even as well as Tesla's UI runs in the car. I'd say that's a pretty good accomplishment. Give them a break!

Paging can only happen if the OS is configured with a swap device, which I would find shocking in the modern age. Paging and swapping were important OS concepts back when DRAM was scarce, but the answer to running out of memory has been "buy more" for years now.

Correct, there is no Paging (swap) on the CID.

Output from top:
Code:
top - 18:00:27 up 7 days, 18:11,  0 users,  load average: 2.06, 2.07, 2.08
Tasks: 154 total,   2 running, 152 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s):  8.2%us,  5.3%sy,  0.0%ni, 85.6%id,  0.2%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.6%si,  0.0%st
Mem:   2047828k total,  1265932k used,   781896k free,   227932k buffers
Swap:        0k total,        0k used,        0k free,   336040k cached

Note the load; 2. This is why it's laggy and slow. The CPU is really at the limits of it's capability.

Correct, there is no Paging (swap) on the CID.

Output from top:
Code:
top - 18:00:27 up 7 days, 18:11,  0 users,  load average: 2.06, 2.07, 2.08
Tasks: 154 total,   2 running, 152 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s):  8.2%us,  5.3%sy,  0.0%ni, 85.6%id,  0.2%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.6%si,  0.0%st
Mem:   2047828k total,  1265932k used,   781896k free,   227932k buffers
Swap:        0k total,        0k used,        0k free,   336040k cached

Note the load; 2. This is why it's laggy and slow. The CPU is really at the limits of it's capability.

It's also 85% idle. The load average in this case may simply because there a few processes blocked on I/O (network or otherwise).

It's also 85% idle. The load average in this case may simply because there a few processes blocked on I/O (network or otherwise).

Load average only counts processes that are running (on the CPU) or runnable (on the dispatcher queue). If the above stats are accurate, they implicitly tell us how many cores the CPU has. The fact that the system is 85% idle means that the load average is entirely due to running processes. So we have 2.06 cores busy, resulting in an 85% idle system; thus if X is the number of cores, 2.06 / X = 1 - 0.85; hence X = 2.06 / 0.15 = 14 cores or so. Can anyone confirm that?

Code:
cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor    : ARMv7 Processor rev 9 (v7l)
processor    : 0
BogoMIPS    : 1795.68

processor    : 1

processor    : 2

processor    : 3

Features    : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3
CPU implementer    : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant    : 0x2
CPU part    : 0xc09
CPU revision    : 9

Hardware    : p1852
Revision    : 80703

Elon Musk just tweeted:

"Major improvements to Autopilot coming with V8.0 and 8.1 software (std OTA update) primarily through advanced processing of radar signals".

time stamp 12:19 AM 9/5/16 (central time zone)

Hmmm, no mention of new hardware.

Last edited: