Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Amped, I am beginning to agree with you. Elon is starting to become a liability. Keep him as figurehead and ideas man, but put in a nuts and bolts team to properly run the place.
I worry that the solar city thing is nepotism and not in the best interests of Tesla at this time.

Long weekend is coming to an end, and no beep yet. Right now, I give it a 50/50 chance that we will hear anything today, with the odds decreasing. And that's what I don't understand - just ask JB or someone else in the company to write that release summary, and be done with it (heck, they could even use Musk's name as the author if that's what it's all about). Why is that so hard?

Amped, I am beginning to agree with you. Elon is starting to become a liability. Keep him as figurehead and ideas man, but put in a nuts and bolts team to properly run the place.
I worry that the solar city thing is nepotism and not in the best interests of Tesla at this time.

Agreed. I would like to have Wheeler be COO. He seems to be cost conscious and he answers questions directly/precisely on the ER CCs.

Long weekend is coming to an end, and no beep yet. Right now, I give it a 50/50 chance that we will hear anything today, with the odds decreasing. And that's what I don't understand - just ask JB or someone else in the company to write that release summary, and be done with it (heck, they could even use Musk's name as the author if that's what it's all about). Why is that so hard?

It is very possible that Elon's tweet got ahead of engineering. Engineering might have called him in a panic saying, hey wait a minute, that radar thing we showed you was just a demo, it doesn't work yet, and we don't know if it'll work better than the old version in all situations!

There could be other reasons for the delay, just one possibility.

Baby you understand me now
If sometimes you see I'm mad
Doncha know that no one alive can always be an angel?
When everything goes wrong you see some bad

Well I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh lord, please don't let me be misunderstood

Ya know sometimes baby I'm so carefree
With a joy that's hard to hide
Then sometimes it seems again that all I have is worry
And then you burn to see my other side

But I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood

If I seem edgy
I want you to know
I never meant to take it out on you
Life has its problems
And I get more than my share
But that's me one thing I never mean to do

'Cause I love you
Oh baby
I'm just human
Don't you know I have faults like anyone?

Sometimes I find myself alone regretting
Some little fooling thing
Some simple thing that I've done

I'm just a soul whose intentions are good

I try so hard
So don't let me be misunderstood

Baby you understand me now
If sometimes you see I'm mad
Doncha know that no one alive can always be an angel?
When everything goes wrong you see some bad

Well I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh lord, please don't let me be misunderstood

Ya know sometimes baby I'm so carefree
With a joy that's hard to hide
Then sometimes it seems again that all I have is worry
And then you burn to see my other side

But I'm just a soul whose intentions are good

If I seem edgy
I want you to know
I never meant to take it out on you
Life has its problems
And I get more than my share
But that's me one thing I never mean to do

'Cause I love you
Oh baby
I'm just human
Don't you know I have faults like anyone?

Sometimes I find myself alone regretting
Some little fooling thing
Some simple thing that I've done

I'm just a soul whose intentions are good

I try so hard
So don't let me be misunderstood
You're such an animal!

Seems to me a bug cropped up in the final rev of 8.0 and Elon doesn't want to tweet that 8.0 has a bug delaying release the same weekend as one of his rockets blows up...

Obviously the virtuous thing to do here would be spend a weekend on his yacht but instead he's probably being a micro-managing so and so and helping his team fix these problems on the ground level.

The nerve on this guy, honestly.... :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: jvonbokel and GSP
This guy can't win. Look folks, give the guy some slack. Look at what he has accomplished compared to Detroit. Look at his vision. For my money, I'll stick with him. He is a human being trying to do the right thing for the planet. Hell, no one else has had the balls to do what he has done so far. Really, who else has? You will get your blog and AP 8.0 and in time even more. Just my two cents worth.

Let the predictable flames begin.

That email Elon sent asking for better 3Q performance is exhibit A showing how bad Elon's management skills are. In a functional organization, you work with your direct reports, outline the issue (gotta perform in Q3), instruct them to meet the goal, ask if you can help remove impediments to that goal, negotiate what resources they need, give them the negotiated help/resources.

Instead Elon is undercutting his senior mangement team's authority and ability to manage their own organizations by continually interfering with the entire organization. Sleeping on the QA line is laudable from a leadership perspective, but horrible from a management perspective. Why didn't Elon get the head of QA to sleep there? Why isn't he empowering his senior management to act as leaders instead of continually undercutting them?

That email also completely undercuts Elon insistence that Tesla doesn't manage quarter by quarter. It shows he is as much of a slave to quarterly numbers as any maligned CEO in corporate America. The fact that the email says that the Q3 numbers will basically be window dressing for a financing round doesn't help.
It's leadership vs management.
No one's perfect, but he's an inspirational leader.
His transparency exposes any flaws he might have, but that's preferable to being a boring corporate clone whose flaws remain forever hidden.

It's leadership vs management.
No one's perfect, but he's an inspirational leader.
His transparency exposes any flaws he might have, but that's preferable to being a boring corporate clone whose flaws remain forever hidden.

Agreed. Every CEO sends these kind of emails, especially in a publicly traded company. As most of the people around here see Musk as a form in inspiration I'm sure he has the same kind of respect and authority within his company. These e-mails are key for inspiring people and pushing them a little harder. I imagine Tesla still has the "start-up" mentality and feel around the company and then leadership, as chaotic as it might be, is key for success.

• Love
Reactions: GSP and jbcarioca
Elon & Tesla are often late, but always deliver. I'll keep the faith for a long time with them. They've earned it.
Careful, there's a very long list of things they haven't yet delivered. Maybe they're just many many years late on some, but I doubt it. Granted most are fairly minor like lighted vanity mirrors and such, but there's also things like hands free on ramp to offramp driving, and summoning your car to your front door on private property for all AP cars which are almost 2 years late so far, and all indications are that there are no plans to deliver on either of these at all.
The list goes on and on and on.

While I hate to use the tired Jobs/Musk analogy, I've got to whip it out here. Remember when Apple needed a "professional" CEO (Sculley) to take over from the inspirational but impetuous Jobs? Then Jobs left, company lost direction, almost went out of business... Until Jobs came back? Careful what you wish for. Most companies either never had or grew past an inspirational 'founder' (I recognize Musk did not found Tesla, but I don't know what other term to use). This company is so much about his vision that if you pull him out, I'm not sure what you have. Maybe Model 3 stablility is the time, but I think the broadened strategy (transport + energy) requires him around a while. For those who love the product who are frustrated because Musk is not conventional... Get used to it!