Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct. They wouldn't halt rollout and pull the uninstalled, staged update from cars if it didn't cause some problem along the lines of:
- failed installation that requires service center action
- safety feature, such as a specific range of radar serial numbers going offline from the firmware change
- operability function, such as drive unit being limited or blowing a contactor fuse

Doesn't even need to be that dramatic. An unanticipated bug that required a daily screen reboot, or disabled something really minor like homelink, would undertsandably be enough for Tesla to want it fixed before continuing.

Reactions: newtman and Cyclone
This will have the side effect that your car will still show the clock icon, but when you go to install the update it will state some kind of error and delete the image. At this point I would expect the clock icon to disappear.

^^ If it were me, I'd try it. We've not heard from anyone being rolled back, or an upgrade downloaded but unavailable yet. The install base isn't too large per the tracker, but you'd think they'd be noise by now. Its biz as usual for @Chopr147 driving around all day.

Last edited:
Doesn't even need to be that dramatic. An unanticipated bug that required a daily screen reboot, or disabled something really minor like homelink, would undertsandably be enough for Tesla to want it fixed before continuing.

Halting perhaps, but pulling of any pending installs? Back in 6.2 or 7.0, there was an update that if you had a dual motor car and were in Range Mode, it could blow your contactors. They let that out. But it could be that since they had to replace all those contactors, they decided to backtrack "harder" this time. Either way, I'm not going to worry about it.

Reactions: NikeWings
How is AP compared to the previous version?

It seems smoother. Older version would wait until the last moment to brake and then brake heavily. New version brakes earlier and softer, more human-like. Thumbs up for that.

And it can truly see multiple cars in front now...
20160922_173749.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone who is this eager to be one of the first to get 8.0 has obviously not owned their Tesla very long. It will soon be followed by a bug fix, then the next one, then the next one. We've had as many as five in a few weeks for some previous versions. Be patient and hope you won't get it until it's been tried in tens of thousands of cars and its stable. There's nothing here that's so important you can't wait a week or a few weeks more for it.