Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only difference detectable from 8.3 is that the freezing of all displays for like a minute followed by spontaneous reset while driving [crosses fingers] no longer happens, which I had been seeing twice a day and suspect may have been the main bug being squashed. AP behaviour is about identical AFAICT.

The download was a 162MB patch on 8.3, so a relatively small and quick update.

I thought it was a large update. I was on 50.6 and it said it would take 45 minutes but it was over an hour and I have a 150 MBps download. I can download a 4 gb game in less time than this took.

I thought it was a large update. I was on 50.6 and it said it would take 45 minutes but it was over an hour and I have a 150 MBps download. I can download a 4 gb game in less time than this took.

Download speeds also depend on the other end of the pipe which Tesla pay for. Given that software updates are not an emergency I don't think it's unreasonable that they don't spend money trying to make them lightning-quick for everyone.

That time was for your actual installation, as the sw is already downloaded by the time the orange alarmclock appears to notify to start it.

However, AFAICT the more intermediate versions you skip, the bigger the DL, as it consists of a series of delta patches to bring you up to date. Have seen DLs as large as ~900MB in one go myself.

I'm seeing here that there's not a whole lot different between 5.15 and 8.4 aside from bug fixes and refinement. I'm ok with waiting.

Personally I can't wait to start playing with the advanced summon feature whenever it's ready (I know it'll be a while)!

I supercharged today on 8.4 and after I got done I heard a loud whirring coming from the drivers side but I distinctly heard it rev up to high speed and eventually got lower and lower and finally disappeared. Not sure what it was that caused it. I’ve never had that experience with this car ever prior to this. Anyone else experience this?

Reactions: brandonee916
I supercharged today on 8.4 and after I got done I heard a loud whirring coming from the drivers side but I distinctly heard it rev up to high speed and eventually got lower and lower and finally disappeared. Not sure what it was that caused it. I’ve never had that experience with this car ever prior to this. Anyone else experience this?

Likely the coolant system prepping the battery to the optimum temperature for the SC session.

That is the cooling system. You likely hadn't heard it before because it's been winter, and the ambient temps have been low enough where a SC'ing session still didn't necessitate the cooling system kicking in. Now that temps are rising, you'll hear it when you Supercharge.

Happening to us here in New England, too.

That is the cooling system. You likely hadn't heard it before because it's been winter, and the ambient temps have been low enough where a SC'ing session still didn't necessitate the cooling system kicking in. Now that temps are rising, you'll hear it when you Supercharge.

Happening to us here in New England, too.

ah ok thanks for that clarification! i have supercharged a couple times on warmer days and it wasn’t that warm today (50s).

Just got it, and my Taptes Qi charger on the left side lights up, but doesn't charge now. Could this be a firmware issue, or could the update have fried the charger?

Tesla milton tweeted out a workaround because FW2019.8.4x broke the Taptes: "workaround is to use a USB hub or splitter on each front port.
Customers can email [email protected] for 2 free splitter."

Any screen issues, freezing, locking up, rebooting at random?
My sister got the update & it started making her screen have white splotches stream across her panel intermittently.

Also knocked out her LTE streaming.

• Informative
Reactions: JeffK
Definitely noticed this.... I reported it as a bug because of every Tesla in the row of cars at the Supercharger mine sounded like it was going to suck in everything around it with the fan going full speed