Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware release on the latest US deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious - anyone get his brand new Model S in the US in the last few days? A 16xxx VIN number? What Firmware release did you get?
They clearly are shipping the European Models with 5.5 - and those are being made RIGHT NOW. So are they still installing the older firmware on the US models?

I'm curious - anyone get his brand new Model S in the US in the last few days? A 16xxx VIN number? What Firmware release did you get?
They clearly are shipping the European Models with 5.5 - and those are being made RIGHT NOW. So are they still installing the older firmware on the US models?

I'm speculating...

But I would think the EU models (with their additional features, cold weather pkg, parking sensors, etc) would be enabled in the 5.5 firmware. There'd be no reason to roll put that software on cars being delivered in the US. Perhaps they need to finish the 5.x software up to make sure cars that don't have those features aren't buggy running 5.x.

There's no reason to have multiple versions of the software. This car is completely modular. Feature support for every option and language is built in. Your configuration determines what is or isn't enabled.

The 5.5 software is probably a release candidate, owing to the "Branch" label instead of "Release" in the pictures posted.

Depending on how comprehensive an update it is I can see them justifying a jump from 4.5 to 5.5.

I hope more pictures are posted and someone can deep dive to see what has changed. Ideally I would love to see if there are any changes in the media player (random/shuffle, iPod support) and navigation (direction view), etc.

I highly doubt this.

Agreed. There have been postings for quite some time that have pics of the service screens on the US cars accessible to the techs. They have entries for items such as parking sensors, adaptive cruise, lane departure warnings, etc...

This has been stubbed in to the software foundation running in the thousands of cars in North America all along . That's not to say that it means all existing cars will GET these features, but that the existing code has been built to accommodate different hardware.

As a matter of fact, having a separate EU code base to support, debug, etc... would likely be MORE effort, not less...