Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know of any way to prompt Model S to "check" for firmware updates. I know it happens automatically and I've heard that Service Center wifi can help... Thanks!

There isn't an way to do this in the Model S user interface. For awhile, people have been able to drive within certain geofenced areas in and around certain locations such as Tesla Service Centers, and that's triggered the car to check for an update. (Connecting to the WiFi network is not required.) But it's still up to the mothership to determine whether the car actually gets an update after a check (based on various factors). You won't always get an update to the highest version number. Also, a number of people have tried to get an 8.0 update faster by going to their Service Center, but that doesn't seem to have been successful.

Bruce.

• Helpful
Reactions: nikj
There isn't an way to do this in the Model S user interface. For awhile, people have been able to drive within certain geofenced areas in and around certain locations such as Tesla Service Centers, and that's triggered the car to check for an update. (Connecting to the WiFi network is not required.) But it's still up to the mothership to determine whether the car actually gets an update after a check (based on various factors). You won't always get an update to the highest version number. Also, a number of people have tried to get an 8.0 update faster by going to their Service Center, but that doesn't seem to have been successful.

Bruce.
Thanks Bruce!

I'm one of those. Twice. Still waiting... :)

FWIW, earlier today I stopped by both the local Tesla store and later the Tesla service center. Both said pulling up and sitting in their lot would not help as they have not received 8 yet. Even the new vehicles being delivered today (I saw two truckloads full) are still on 7.

So now here I am sitting here at home with the car hooked to my wifi and me staring at the activity light on my modem, wishing it would start flashing. :)

FWIW, earlier today I stopped by both the local Tesla store and later the Tesla service center. Both said pulling up and sitting in their lot would not help as they have not received 8 yet. Even the new vehicles being delivered today (I saw two truckloads full) are still on 7.

So now here I am sitting here at home with the car hooked to my wifi and me staring at the activity light on my modem, wishing it would start flashing. :)

If I understand the way the geofencing works (worked), whether the store "has" 8 is irrelevant because the updates don't come from the store. The vehicles in transit sure aren't going to get OTA updates while they're on the truck either. It doesn't work like a new iPhone, where you get it with the latest iOS (actually that's not true, my wife's iPhone 7 Plus received today got an immediate update, but I digress).

Patience, young Padawan!

Bruce.