Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware Version 9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is some educated speculation...
I was hoping for some awesome advances in EAP in version 9, BUT I am now not so sure about that and here's my logic: If there are awesome (significant) improvements in EAP, then *why* in the world would Tesla begin their free 14 day trials of EAP before version 9?? Over on the MS forum they are already receiving their invitations. If you were looking to upsell someone who already has passed on the feature and could have added it at any past time then you would want the best iteration for this, right? IMO this does not bode well for significant enhancements in version 9.

FWIW: Try Before You Buy: Tesla Offering Revolutionary Month-Long Trial of Autopilot For Customers With Autopilot-Ready Cars

The 7.1 autopilot trial also happened before significant 8.0 improvements to AP1. I think we might be reading too much into it. AP2/EAP in its current feature set is relatively refined, and that might be a good time to do a trial compared to when 9.0 is released…. Historically, major software releases from Tesla tend to be a bit rough around the edges. Plus, new features in press releases tend to sell the product itself. But there's no good way to say "hey our already advertised features since Oct 2016 are finally presentable!" :D

With regards to 9.0's features itself, right now all we have is pure outsider speculation. I think there will be more to talk about once the early access build starts rolling out and someone starts breaking their NDA and leaking. That's happened every time in the past, such as when AP2 got surrounding car displays.

Here is some educated speculation...
I was hoping for some awesome advances in EAP in version 9, BUT I am now not so sure about that and here's my logic: If there are awesome (significant) improvements in EAP, then *why* in the world would Tesla begin their free 14 day trials of EAP before version 9?? Over on the MS forum they are already receiving their invitations. If you were looking to upsell someone who already has passed on the feature and could have added it at any past time then you would want the best iteration for this, right? IMO this does not bode well for significant enhancements in version 9.

You could look at it another way.

1) EAP is *already* awesome right now - if a free trial of v8 isn't enough to get you to cough up the $$$, the rumored onramp/offramp will be unlikely to push you over the edge.

2) The rumored "improvements" in v9 are likely going to come w/ a few bugs. Buggy software isn't going to upsell anyone.

AP2/EAP in its current feature set is relatively refined, and that might be a good time to do a trial compared to when 9.0 is released…. Historically, major software releases from Tesla tend to be a bit rough around the edges.

This. If you want to showcase the product to those who aren't entirely convinced, you have to let them see the most refined product with the best user experience. That's what we currently have.

V9 may have some more features, but the user experience with them is likely to be rougher. The people who have not bought EAP at this point are those who want to be convinced that it's past the "gimmick" stage and into the "functionally useful" stage.

Reactions: chillaban
Yeah thinking more about it: What sells a lot of people isn't just showing what something does right now, but rather showing what it already does right now, combined with an abstract idea of what it could or will do in the near future. That gets the customer thinking "gee, it seems like it would be awesome if this already excellent enhanced autosteer could automatically change lanes on its own…."…. while if you demoed that functionality as a trial, a customer is more likely to be like "eh cool idea, not very useful in practice".

I'd like to see TACC/EAP enhanced to increase following distance by my Model 3 when my Model 3 is being tailgated. This more closely mimics sound driving practice, and reduces risk of a collision if Model 3 does need to brake while being tailgated (as Model 3 will not have to slow as quickly). Seems pretty easy to program this, assuming there's rear sensing that is worth a damn.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Is the new update just about autopilot? If not I’d like them up update the media interface. Would really like to be able to plug my iPod in, have other options like Spotify/Apple Music, add a web browser (model 3). Also I’d like them to update the app with charging history, previous trip history, etc

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Is the new update just about autopilot? If not I’d like them up update the media interface. Would really like to be able to plug my iPod in, have other options like Spotify/Apple Music, add a web browser (model 3). Also I’d like them to update the app with charging history, previous trip history, etc

I really hope there are significant improvements with the media interface as well. My 2012 Mustang excelled at many media related things which the Model 3 only does a mediocre job or in some cases doesn’t do at all. It’s pretty sad to take steps back when I go from a 2012 to a 2018 model vehicle. While the media interface is mostly functional it could be so much better and it’s a shame that it’s the most frustrating part of an otherwise outstanding car.

Super anxious to seeing what Tesla has in store for us on the next version. I'd like to discuss what we know and is rumored to be in this version.

I'll start with it's supposed to offer more blind spot detection with ghost cars behind as well as in front....
My hopes are limited with blind spot monitoring. Elon seems to elude questions regarding that feature on Twitter. Not saying it won’t happen.. just saying it probably won’t be next month.

I think the lack of back radars is making that feature a lot more complicated than it should be...

Reactions: streetskooler
I really hope there are significant improvements with the media interface as well. My 2012 Mustang excelled at many media related things which the Model 3 only does a mediocre job or in some cases doesn’t do at all. It’s pretty sad to take steps back when I go from a 2012 to a 2018 model vehicle. While the media interface is mostly functional it could be so much better and it’s a shame that it’s the most frustrating part of an otherwise outstanding car.
I guess it’s a matter of preference. To me the interface is outstanding.. I’ll take the super smooth wide 15 inch touch screen over the tiny unresponsive touch screen with CarPlay and the physical knobs anytime!

Wishlist:

Carplay
Carplay
CARPLAY

If I can't have carplay:
Some kind of text message handling. Come the hell on, how is this not a thing?
Audible.com client. PLEASE.

Also:
Fender cam view when turn signal is on
Memory for passenger seat (might not be possible without hardware changes, IDK)

Would also be nice for Summon to work on the 3 like it does on the S & X.

• Love
Reactions: Sg911 and PoitNarf
I too am excited/curious. This is the unique aspect of owning a Tesla, and I'm looking forward to the car being able to do more than it could the previous day.

One feature that has been discussed is the dash cam. But what exactly does that mean? Exterior, interior, or both? When will it record? How and who can access the footage? Will there be a live stream accessible via the app? Will it just be for folks who purchased FSD? We know there's a purpose for that interior cam probably related to FSD and the Tesla Network, but will it have a purpose before that all comes to fruition?

Reactions: streetskooler
I guess it’s a matter of preference. To me the interface is outstanding.. I’ll take the super smooth wide 15 inch touch screen over the tiny unresponsive touch screen with CarPlay and the physical knobs anytime!

I’m more referring to the capabilities of the media interface than the UI. My Mustang could play songs from my iPhone via a USB connection and I could browse artists/songs/playlists in the touch screen and even issue voice commands to Sync to play specific content on my iPhone. The Model 3 can’t do any of this with a USB connected phone or iPod.

Now that I’m on the subject of voice commands, my Mustang allowed me to change the HVAC temperature via voice as well. Elon says we’ll be getting more voice commands, hopefully version 9 will bring this.

Another change I’d like to see with version 9, source specific favorites. Right now if I favorite a few stations in Slacker and then also favorite a TuneIn or FM station they all appear in the same favorites list. This is not what I want. I’d prefer (or at least have the option) to have each media source have its own favorites list. I haven’t favorited any FM or TuneIn stations because I primarily listen to Slacker and don’t want to get my favorites list too jumbled up.

Another change I’d like to see with the favorites is the ability to rearrange the order of the favorites by just dragging and dropping. The only way to reorder them right now is to remove them and re-add them in the exact order you want which is quite the pain.

@PoitNarf is on point. My only complaint about my car is how bad the media interface is. About the source specific favorites I have mixed feelings, I sort of like the whole thing mixed up together, one step less I have to do not having to switch between sources when looking for a favorite.

I saw some picture where the navigation instructions were moved to the right side of the screen, that would be easier to read.

I would like for the directions to also include the exit number.

Please bring the calendar integration to the model 3.

Carplay/AndroidAuto would be awesome if they just blocked the map and replaced it with the phone interface.