Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First 60kWH delivery notice or email - who will it be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never had a kid, but the nervous energy that I've experienced over the last few days has got to come close to what an expectant father feels those days and moments leading up to the "big reveal". As much as I tried to ensure things went smoothly, the delivery did not happen as planned. All paperwork and final payments were setup for early this week, with the expectation that come Thursday afternoon or Friday when I got home from Chicago, the delivery truck would arrive and drop my new baby off in the drive. After a couple frustrating days of miscommunication with the DS in CA with the team in St. Louis it became clear that transport had not been arranged and that delivery would have to wait until next week. I was done with the waiting, so I finally told them that I would change my flight and drive the car home. I live in Olathe a suburb of Kansas City. Door to door that is a 262 stretch and unlike you East and West coasters there isn't a supercharger anywhere in the midwest. Did I mention that I bought a 60? So I knew that a few hours of charging would be necessary and as fate would have it, I have friends in Columbia MO who would pick me up from the Nissan dealership and entertain me for a while.

The team at Joe Machen's Nissan were awesome - they let me pull into one of their four stalls with the EV Charger and fill up as long as I wanted. Here is where my optimistic naivety got me in trouble. Remember this was my first charge and regardless of how many forum postings I've read over the last 6 months, I had changed my flight 3 hours previously and was just trying to get my beauty home. I was still giddy and stupid and quickly learned that I hadn't done enough research. I had assumed that these EV Chargers would easily give me 31 miles an hour. Negative, try 17. And let's be honest, there is only so long you can sit at dinner when all I wanted to do was get my ass back in that seat and drive. I couldn't even go crazy on the drinks, I had another 2 hours of driving ahead of me.

So I got enough charge to get me to KC, but not enough to get home. I figured I would have more options closer to KC than out in the middle of MO, so I set the cruise to 55 mph on a highway that has a 70 mph speed limit. I turned off all the heat, even though it was 42 degrees and jammed the tunes. It was painful, but necessary. Getting passed by 18 wheelers when I knew I could blow them off the road was the most depressing experience but my smarter side prevailed and I tried to make the best out of driving my brand new sports car 15 miles UNDER the speed limit!!

58 miles from home, according to the nav, and I have less than 30 miles of project range left. Quick search on the web browser and I find a RV park that offers 14-50 hook-ups. By now it is 11:45 pm, the front desk was closed, so I just backed in, broke the plastic seal on my adaptor and plugged her in. The draw from this outlet was better, but still only 26 miles an hour, not the 31 I had hoped for. Still freezing, I pulled out the iPhone got catch up on all my RSS feeds, sent some emails and texts and laid the seat back for a quick power nap.

Long story short, I made it home around 2:30 in the morning with 15 miles left. It was cold and I had to drive embarrassingly slow, but I'll be damned if that isn't the best freakin' car in the world and instead of it sitting in St. Louis until next week when a truck could be arranged, it is sitting in my garage charging her little heart out. I figure we got to bond on that long, slow trip from St. Louis, but I sure hope that someday soon, there is a Supercharger in Columbia somewhere. The time that would have shaved off my trip would have been immense.

I've been trying to get some work done today, so I haven't had time for a bunch of photos, but I know that was my favorite part, so as soon as I can I'll get more than this one up. This was outside the Service Center in St. Louis.
image3.jpeg

Schnetzer, congratulations on your new baby!! If you love it half as much as I love my 60, you and your baby will have a great relationship! I don't know if you got twin chargers on your car, but if you did, then do a little research on Recargo.com or Plugshare.com or word of mouth for charging stations with 70 amps so you can take advantage of much faster charging while on roadtrips. The 60 really isn't the car to be doing long drives, so hopefully your first day won't be repeated, but taking a few minutes to do the research for any faster charging stations along your route will pay dividends. Good luck and have fun!

Schnetzer, congrats! And I am impressed by your bravery to even attempt that trip without obsessively planning. I want to be like you when I grow up! She sure is beautiful, I'm jealous but happy for you!

I too have no kids but imagine this intense anticipation to be somewhat similar to waiting for a baby to arrive.

@Apoclyps you are almost there! So excited for you!

Many thanks and thanks to everyone else for the waiting support, the advice and comraderie. Hopefully that wont end once we all get our cars. There's still lots of learning and sharing to be had.

Heading to a Carmax in a few to see what my old car is worth. A 10 yr old car that I drove for 7 (one other owner before me). Hope to keep the S for about the same amount of time. Then I gotta
a) sell the car one way or other
b) apply for CA rebate
c) make sure my car ins agent puts the new car on the policy
d) apply for access to my work's GE Wattstation (J connections). Free fuel!!!
e) apply for HOV lane access
f) make a decision on whether to rely on work to keep car charged or pay up the ying yang to get a 14-50 insalled (requires HOA approval, replacing subpanel, ripping through house to get wiring to garage)
g) read through forums in regards to
1) trip planning and charging
2) washing car
3) what service plans to get

Hope I didn't / don't miss anything.

See you all on the other side of ownership!!

Congrats again, Apoclyps! I'll be there soon. I don't have quite as much to prep left as I am not trading a car (just need to return the POS Fiesta to Hertz tomorrow), watch my contractor install my GE Wattstation (residential type) at my parking spaces Thursday and Friday, and decide what vanity plate I'm gonna get.

The car's paid for (credit union fedexed a check Friday), I added it to my insurance, and got all my mats!

I am considering having the whole front wrapped too. Oh I guess I'll need to install the new infant seat in there too :)

Congrats again, Apoclyps! I'll be there soon. I don't have quite as much to prep left as I am not trading a car (just need to return the POS Fiesta to Hertz tomorrow), watch my contractor install my GE Wattstation (residential type) at my parking spaces Thursday and Friday, and decide what vanity plate I'm gonna get.

The car's paid for (credit union fedexed a check Friday), I added it to my insurance, and got all my mats!

I am considering having the whole front wrapped too. Oh I guess I'll need to install the new infant seat in there too :)

thanks Jomo. so..did you pull out the cigar to celebrate? :smile: or still waiting?

@Apoclyps - get the floor mats. My car came with front mats but had to do some run around to get temporary mats for back seat. Tesla service centers in bay-area are out of stock. And don't forget to keep your camera charged & prepare the elevator pitch about the car, you will have to use often.

Thanks Apoclyps! Had the baby girl yesterday...electronic cigars all around! :smile:

Congrats!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

@Apoclyps - get the floor mats. My car came with front mats but had to do some run around to get temporary mats for back seat. Tesla service centers in bay-area are out of stock. And don't forget to keep your camera charged & prepare the elevator pitch about the car, you will have to use often.

Thanks for the tip...what is an elevator pitch?

edit: doh! Just looked it up. I need to get out more. Lol! For some reason i was thinking "is that some kinda auto mechanic device that i will need if my car breaks down? *panic*"

Last edited:
Thanks again Sshrivas, Ddruz, Apoclyps!

Really is funny as I stop to think about it waiting for both of these deliveries. So many similarities between them:
- Waited for long time,
- both cost me some $$$ to get here,
- both caused worry about the condition they will arrive in,
- both had "rough target" delivery dates,
- both required quite a bit of prep to the nest,
- actual deliveries will incur some logistical challenges, and
- some lifestyle changes will result post-delivery.

I'm sure there are many other parallels but those are the ones just of the top of my head. Though fortunately I didn't have to fight my HOA to allow me to add a crib to the nursery...

The week-to-10 days between the deliveries may end of being a blessing too, as it will give me the time to get things somewhat settled (read: rest up) and allowing me the right amount of focus on MS' arrival. Don't want my first few days with the MS to be groggy! :)

Thanks Jive!

I've found that my first daughter still does fall asleep in our Volt. Better no as a 2YO than she did as an infant. But between the smoother ride of an EV, and the well-paved roads in AZ, its not quite as numbing for them. So they don't fall as quickly as they might in other cars and places. I suspect the MS will be even worse for that. Since its so quiet the hum of white noise will be less. So the odd phone alert or sound of voice may startle them more easily!

Update:
BTW, my car went "live" in the app. Of course remote access is shut down, but it is linked now. It shows the VIN, but I already had that from the Pre-MVPA paperwork.

Last edited: