Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Delivery Date for a 70D

First Month for a 70D Delivery

• April

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • May

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • June

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • July

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • August

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • September

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • October

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • November

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • December

Votes: 7 10.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
August seems reasonable. The guy from inside sales said my 70D would be ready by November (reservation 178xx) which, filtered through my salesman bullshit translator, means August. Since he successfully convinced me to upgrade, I guess I'll never know.

August seems reasonable. The guy from inside sales said my 70D would be ready by November (reservation 178xx) which, filtered through my salesman bullshit translator, means August. Since he successfully convinced me to upgrade, I guess I'll never know.

I was told end of summer/early fall for the 70D but he convinced me to upgrade so I did to the 90D and was told mid-April but I still do not have a VIN

Yea but they could build them out of order since I got premium and I am in SoCal but I rather wait a bit so I don't have any build issues
Agreed, if I may ask, was your reservation serial number (not RN) anywhere close to your VIN, albeit a big higher than the VIN. I am tyring to understand if they assigned VINs to all confirmed reservations (=orders) and then producing the Xs in order of margin (P90DL > P90D > 90D loaded > 70D loaded > 70D mid...)

Agreed, if I may ask, was your reservation serial number (not RN) anywhere close to your VIN, albeit a big higher than the VIN. I am tyring to understand if they assigned VINs to all confirmed reservations (=orders) and then producing the Xs in order of margin (P90DL > P90D > 90D loaded > 70D loaded > 70D mid...)

It was like 21142

Oh wow ! they have really gone deep and wide to aggregate all 90Ds. I am at 16,9xx with a 70D and nothing yet. Tempted to upgrade but the 30 miles for 15.5k argument is not working out :(
Happy for you that you are getting yours early, thats awesome!

Yea, I initially ordered the 70D in January but didn't have enough patience so ultimately upgraded to the 90D in early March

To be exact, 37 miles if that makes it any easier to swallow :) Seriously, I debated until the last hour of my confirmation week. I justified the 90D after test driving an X P90D in 90D mode. I didn't want to regret the acceleration loss, but maybe no biggie for some. Also, I thought I didn't need the Air Suspension, but then thought how nice to have for snow on untreated driveways and maybe other similar road clearance situations. The ability to tow an actual trailer if needed for dirty yard stuff et all was the final selling point for Air Susp, and after that only 13K more for range and speed better then any car I have ever owned.

Reactions: ssq
To be exact, 37 miles if that makes it any easier to swallow :) Seriously, I debated until the last hour of my confirmation week. I justified the 90D after test driving an X P90D in 90D mode. I didn't want to regret the acceleration loss, but maybe no biggie for some. Also, I thought I didn't need the Air Suspension, but then thought how nice to have for snow on untreated driveways and maybe other similar road clearance situations. The ability to tow an actual trailer if needed for dirty yard stuff et all was the final selling point for Air Susp, and after that only 13K more for range and speed better then any car I have ever owned.

I made similar points in my mind when I decided to upgrade

All valid reasons to justify the upgrade. I live in sunny San Diego and have a newborn which means I have gone full-on conservative in my driving style and it probably will stay that way for some time now. No more zipping around (sold my BMW Z4).. and I dont do road trips (that often and usually rent for that) and I do not foresee ever having the need to tow. I'm still not regretting not upgrading, except the painful wait!

Edit: Also, 15.5k is still worth a lot more than my patience :D. I wish I cross that barrier soon, which will be super awesome! I have a 3 on reservation and the money saved here pays for the 3 as our backup car replacing our last ICE we would have ever had.

Reactions: MarkoC
@ssq, very valid counter points. I laughed recalling this lead footed driver, and private pilot who likes ground speed, on my first drives with our new born a few years ago, got honked at driving so slow on normal surface streets. Not sure when exactly, but it wears away with time, and now the only thing that keeps me from being too dangerous is a 4 cylinder engine, uh oh.

On a related note, are you all secretly wishing that Tesla announces a 90=>100 and 70=>80/85 upgrade for all(free of cost) due to improved battery chemistry and lowered costs to produce the batteries (GF reference). I would be ecstatic if that happens.
The P100D is almost certain to happen, hence my speculation of this capacity-move-up across the board. Actually I think there is no 90D, its a 100D which Tesla is claiming as a 90D to keep range and performance expectations baselined on the larger/heavier X, until they have it proven to perform to optimum range and performance.
Or.. maybe I need to stop dreaming too much. Elon has been the Santa Claus of cars for sure!

Reactions: beths11
OK I hold the same opinion as you guys about not willing to pay 15.5k more for 30 miles of range, even though it may impact resale value. I don't have a need for long road trips to mandate that range either. I am putting that saved money towards a model 3. I also have an inkling that these 70D orders may be upgraded to 80/85 kWh as Tesla moves battery capacity up a notch across the board. I also recall Elon being a little less specific when asked about lower cost Model X back in the day. He said "yes Tesla will offer a lower cost version with something like..mmm.. perhaps a 70kWh version". That made me think there is a possibility of a higher low-end battery capacity, more so since S70D has been shipping for a while and therefore his hesitation was a bit interesting.
Now then they announced today that X ramped up to 750/week, and 2400 X's have been delivered. So assuming the worst case of absolutely no cancellations my 169XX 70D should be done by August! Thoughts?
so you have a VIN no with 70 D order? How many 70 D owner has assigned VIN no?
I was told by Tesla today that production will start in second half of year(uncertain) and then I will be assigned a VIN.

@K-MTG - Why the excitement about the sunshade? I've had my X for 2 months and have yet to even open it up, except initially to see what it looked like. Haven't had a need for it. Maybe that'll change this Summer, but the upper windshield is pretty heavily tinted. Driving to Orlando in a few days so we'll see down there.

@K-MTG - Why the excitement about the sunshade? I've had my X for 2 months and have yet to even open it up, except initially to see what it looked like. Haven't had a need for it. Maybe that'll change this Summer, but the upper windshield is pretty heavily tinted. Driving to Orlando in a few days so we'll see down there.

Take a look at Bjorn's recent video: