Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First drive on Thusday....BMW Alpina B7 to Tesla P85D?????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty excited about Tesla bringing me a vehicle to test drive this coming Thursday. I have had over 50+ vehicles at age 42 and cannot wait to compare. I know even if I like it, I will have a huge decision as I would need to get rid of my 13 Alpina B7 to get the Tesla. I am actually thinking I would get a pre-owned P85D. Had S550, regular 750Li etc. Currently own an M6 also. Usually end up getting them at a good price on Ebay so I do not get beat up too bad when the time comes to sell.

I have been reading and reading. Finally time to drive one. I would love to hear from someone who had a 7 series to compare though. Not a lot of good comparisons when searching other than the looks of the vehicle which helps in no way.....Just had to get it out there. Thanks in advance!

Completely different from a 7. They are both large cars and both drive like large cars. However, you just can't compare an ICE to electric. Not better or worse, just different IMO. Instant acceleration all the time. Never in the wrong gear. Never need to wait for a rpm drop to get instant acceleration. Lower center of gravity. So will feel tighter for a large car...but definitely not in Porsche territory of handling either. Hope that helps.

The thing I am not hearing when reading everywhere I can is about the ride itself with Air Suspension. I really like a floaty ride. I love my Alpina, but I preferred the S550 soft ride more. Of course the Alpina outperforms and out-handles the S class, but the ride was definitely less sport oriented in the S class (I know I am not breaking any new ground with that statement). Does the Tesla ride smooth like a luxury car? I know it is subjective, but if someone has driven The 7 and the S class, you can kind of say where you think the Tesla falls in there. I am going crazy waiting for this to get here.

The MS is not a floating boat on the street. However, after my recent two day test drive, I was very impressed how soft it was over bumps. I guess you will find out soon. And I am comparing it to a Porsche 911 and a Ford Explorer, my two daily drivers.

The thing I am not hearing when reading everywhere I can is about the ride itself with Air Suspension. I really like a floaty ride. I love my Alpina, but I preferred the S550 soft ride more. Of course the Alpina outperforms and out-handles the S class, but the ride was definitely less sport oriented in the S class (I know I am not breaking any new ground with that statement). Does the Tesla ride smooth like a luxury car? I know it is subjective, but if someone has driven The 7 and the S class, you can kind of say where you think the Tesla falls in there. I am going crazy waiting for this to get here.

Air Suspension on Normal feels sturdy and very smooth, even more so because of the drivetrain. There's a slight difference in Low, which I prefer.

With 19's the car feels like its on rails (depending on the roads)

I don't think you'll look back once you drive it. Can't think of any car that exists that I would get over a Model S. There's really no comparison. One helluva car

Air Suspension on Normal feels sturdy and very smooth, even more so because of the drivetrain. There's a slight difference in Low, which I prefer.

With 19's the car feels like its on rails (depending on the roads)

I don't think you'll look back once you drive it. Can't think of any car that exists that I would get over a Model S. There's really no comparison. One helluva car

I like the sounds of that. Gonna be a long few days.....Then it will be decision time. I like that here in the Northeast, the Tesla is still pretty exclusive. Kind of got used to that with the Alpina as I have not seen another one in over a year.

@desant89 different is the key word. We have a 2011 BMW AH7 which is the big V8 L version with a hybrid system. It has the self leveling adjustable suspension and ride system as well. There is nothing short of perfection in comfort and ride and drive and fit and finish and materials in that car. Our 85D doesn't come close. With that said, the MS is the most fun driving car I have ever had and would 100% buy another one No regrets.

@desant89 different is the key word. We have a 2011 BMW AH7 which is the big V8 L version with a hybrid system. It has the self leveling adjustable suspension and ride system as well. There is nothing short of perfection in comfort and ride and drive and fit and finish and materials in that car. Our 85D doesn't come close. With that said, the MS is the most fun driving car I have ever had and would 100% buy another one No regrets.

The big question is, would you trade in your BMW for a Tesla? Mine is a 2013 Alpina long body X-Drive. I am not sure you can go any higher than that. So once I drive the Tesla, it will need to really wow me for me to make that decision. I will not be upset if I do not like the Tesla, but if I love it, I would think it is still going to be a tough decision. However, I love Tech stuff.....So that will be a major plus.

I think the Tesla really only beats the current gen 7-series in two ways, acceleration and auto-pilot (and of course not using gasoline). In pretty much everything else I think the 7-series is going to win. Handling, build quality, materials, interior design, comfort, features, and stability. Coming from a last-gen 7-series its probably a closer battle, but still the BMW will win in most regards.

I think the Tesla really only beats the current gen 7-series in two ways, acceleration and auto-pilot (and of course not using gasoline). In pretty much everything else I think the 7-series is going to win. Handling, build quality, materials, interior design, comfort, features, and stability. Coming from a last-gen 7-series its probably a closer battle, but still the BMW will win in most regards.

i respectfully disagree. I've had like 8 bmws. At some point, it all just gets boring. As long as the tesla doesn't look like crap inside (and it's nothing special but it certainly doesn't feel like a Toyota Camry), then the tech and the acceleration and the AP and the awesome waze like nav and the lower center of gravity will make you like the tesla way more. I don't think it will even be close. The rest of the fancy nonsense gets old after about a week. The stuff that you use and utilize on a daily basis is what you learn to keep appreciating.

Side note. I have 4 cars. All have gps. I haven't used one of the gps units once in the last two years. Yet I use waze every day. Tesla is the first car that I have seen that makes me want to use its gps. Not sure why all car companies can't do the same.

I am hearing that a lot about the quality of material, and layout. I know the stereo in my BMW (B&O) is also going to be far superior. As for exclusiveness, the B7 probably wins that battle also. However, one big gripe I have with the current 7 series line is that some designers must have been 5 foot tall. I am 6'3", and to get in is a task. With the seat back, the opening of the doorway is way forward. I have to kind of put myself in, then fall back on the seat. Not a huge gripe, but my only one really. Having said that, I have not gotten into a Model S yet to know how that is for a taller person. Nice to see opinions on here that are not totally Biased. I would not even attempt this post in the BMW forums. Thanks!

I was driving a BMW 760i V12 when I ordered our first Model S (2012). I special ordered the BMW to get the shorter Model after finding the 750Li to be like driving a Limo. The V12 on the short wheelbase was like driving a sports car with lazy boy chairs. I put 120,000 miles on the car and considered it the best road trip car I had ever owned.

Our first Tesla delivered (May 2013) and ruined it for me. I started with a red S85. My wife, who did not think we needed a Tesla, took it over within the first month. I thought OK I will go back to the BMW. Within a few months I couldn't take it any longer and ordered a Grey P85+ on staggered 21's. The P85+ is still the best sports car Model S ever made. But then last year Tesla came out with the insane D and insanity forced me to upgrade to a P85D. My daughter, who was driving a BMW 550i, scored big and got the hand me down P85+ years earlier than planned. I was not willing to take the loss selling a low milage two year old Tesla. She loves driving her P85+. She has never once mentioned missing the BMW 550i.

Ironically the BMW 760i has been sitting on a battery tender since 2013. I kept it around for those trips a Tesla could not make. I have not needed it since early 2014. The Super Charger system has managed to grow in all the right places and rather than be forced to take the BMW I have been able to find ways to make my trips with the Tesla.

To answer your question. For three years I have had a BMW760i available to drive and never drive it. Once you get used to all the things a Tesla can do it's hard to give it up to drive something else. The BMW is a wonderful road machine but just can't deliver the overall experience of driving a Tesla. Once you have experienced the smooth clean instant power of a Tesla nothing else measures up. With the new seats and auto steer it's not even close.

i respectfully disagree. I've had like 8 bmws. At some point, it all just gets boring. As long as the tesla doesn't look like crap inside (and it's nothing special but it certainly doesn't feel like a Toyota Camry), then the tech and the acceleration and the AP and the awesome waze like nav and the lower center of gravity will make you like the tesla way more. I don't think it will even be close. The rest of the fancy nonsense gets old after about a week. The stuff that you use and utilize on a daily basis is what you learn to keep appreciating.

Side note. I have 4 cars. All have gps. I haven't used one of the gps units once in the last two years. Yet I use waze every day. Tesla is the first car that I have seen that makes me want to use its gps. Not sure why all car companies can't do the same.

The Tesla GPS may disappoint you. I still use waze all the time with it.

The front seats in the Model S are pretty good, but they aren't ventilated, nor do they have anything like massage. The rear seats are pretty bad though. They're fine for kids or occasional use. But they aren't even in the same league as the best rear seats in a 7-series. It'd be like comparing a folding chair to a laz-y-boy.

I was driving a BMW 760i V12 when I ordered our first Model S (2012). I special ordered the BMW to get the shorter Model after finding the 750Li to be like driving a Limo. The V12 on the short wheelbase was like driving a sports car with lazy boy chairs. I put 120,000 miles on the car and considered it the best road trip car I had ever owned.

Our first Tesla delivered (May 2013) and ruined it for me. I started with a red S85. My wife, who did not think we needed a Tesla, took it over within the first month. I thought OK I will go back to the BMW. Within a few months I couldn't take it any longer and ordered a Grey P85+ on staggered 21's. The P85+ is still the best sports car Model S ever made. But then last year Tesla came out with the insane D and insanity forced me to upgrade to a P85D. My daughter, who was driving a BMW 550i, scored big and got the hand me down P85+ years earlier than planned. I was not willing to take the loss selling a low milage two year old Tesla. She loves driving her P85+. She has never once mentioned missing the BMW 550i.

Ironically the BMW 760i has been sitting on a battery tender since 2013. I kept it around for those trips a Tesla could not make. I have not needed it since early 2014. The Super Charger system has managed to grow in all the right places and rather than be forced to take the BMW I have been able to find ways to make my trips with the Tesla.

To answer your question. For three years I have had a BMW760i available to drive and never drive it. Once you get used to all the things a Tesla can do it's hard to give it up to drive something else. The BMW is a wonderful road machine but just can't deliver the overall experience of driving a Tesla. Once you have experienced the smooth clean instant power of a Tesla nothing else measures up. With the new seats and auto steer it's not even close.

Great info. Especially since a P85D is what I would be getting. You having the v12 made the comparison a little closer. Although you had the previous generation, I am not sure that much has changed. Going to be interesting. Right now I have a RAM Limited, an M6 vert, and the Alpina (JCW mini that is used for towing behind RV also), M6 makes sense to keep as it is a vert, and totally different. So for me to get the Tesla, the Alpina is the only one that would make sense to get rid of. Nice to hear that you obviously enjoyed your BMW putting those kind of miles on it, and still prefer the Tesla. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

The Tesla GPS may disappoint you. I still use waze all the time with it.

The front seats in the Model S are pretty good, but they aren't ventilated, nor do they have anything like massage. The rear seats are pretty bad though. They're fine for kids or occasional use. But they aren't even in the same league as the best rear seats in a 7-series. It'd be like comparing a folding chair to a laz-y-boy.

And I have a 10, and a 7yr old. My car also has the rear seat exec. package so they will notice a huge difference. However, that will not influence my decision. I think they will be so amused by the big screen (they love Ipads like every other kid) and no noise that they will not complain.

desant89; And I have a 10 said:
Kids love the rear facing seats.

Tesla-Rear-Facing-Seats-Model-S.jpg

And I have a 10, and a 7yr old. My car also has the rear seat exec. package so they will notice a huge difference. However, that will not influence my decision. I think they will be so amused by the big screen (they love Ipads like every other kid) and no noise that they will not complain.

Some early P85Ds shipped with second row next gen seats. The early model P85D second row next gen seats had side bolsters and prevented the seats from folding completly flat. I think Tesla went back to a flatter second row because of the fold flat complaints. My 69xxx VIN shipped with second row seats with the side bolsters and I find them more comfortable. They fold flat enough for me. The back seat in a model S is not as roomy as a seven series BMW but would be fine for kids. You can add a removable center console and that gives them an arm rest, cup holders and a little storage space.

I like Tesla for what it represents but I have to respectfully disagree with you too :smile: and defend jaguar36's opinion who said:

The fact is the current (2016) 7-series is really huge step forward compared to even the previous generation. BMW has put the state of the art technologies into this car. Here's some of it's features:

The all-new BMW 7 Series. All you need to know. - YouTube

There are numbers of features that you can't find even in the Model X. And speaking of autopilot, it's unarguable that Tesla has better AP than any BMW in production. But here's a more than 2 years old video about BMW's AP capability:

BMW M235i drifts itself during CES demo - YouTube

But IMO, no need to compare these car, it's just simply pointless. They're made to serve completely different needs and both target different audiences.