Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First drive on Thusday....BMW Alpina B7 to Tesla P85D?????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The big question is, would you trade in your BMW for a Tesla? Mine is a 2013 Alpina long body X-Drive. I am not sure you can go any higher than that. So once I drive the Tesla, it will need to really wow me for me to make that decision. I will not be upset if I do not like the Tesla, but if I love it, I would think it is still going to be a tough decision. However, I love Tech stuff.....So that will be a major plus.

My daily commute is just over 100 miles. After putting 120k miles on our 7 I got a Ford C/Max so that I wouldn't totally kill our BMW driving it. When the D was announced and A/P was announced I started seriously considering the Model S. Traded the C/Max in for it and have loved it ever since. Because it is so inexpensive to run our Model S we usually take it on family errand runs as well. Would I have traded in the BMW for it, no, and I am so glad I didn't have to. If BMW HAD had a 7 series that was totally electric and came close to the performance and fun factor of the Model S but had the creature comforts and drive of the BMW 7 series would I have bought it over the S, then yes I would have. IMHO a fully loaded pimped out 7 long wheel base BMW can not be touched in it's price range for an ICE. (which is the price range I paid for my Model S as well)
I

If you do decide to trade it in it won't be because of apples to apples it will be the oranges that blew you away in the Tesla that will compensate. I went from an M5 and an S4 to the Model S and I loved both those cars, but not even close to the S. It's so new and different it just blew me away.

If you do decide to trade it in it won't be because of apples to apples it will be the oranges that blew you away in the Tesla that will compensate. I went from an M5 and an S4 to the Model S and I loved both those cars, but not even close to the S. It's so new and different it just blew me away.

Those are two great cars also. Although I think totally different than what I would be giving up. I do see a lot of people giving up really nice cars for their Tesla though. But seeing that boonedocks would not trade his 7 for a Tesla also has me thinking. I think I know hands down what the better car is. There likely is no comparison. However just something about driving an electric car, and getting updated frequently is luring me in. When I drive it, I am either going to love it and not care what I have to get rid of, or say to myself "there is no way I can get rid of this for a Tesla" Financially, it will cost me likely almost 20k to make this an even swap which I will also factor in. Again, that will not matter if I love the Tesla. Two more days and I should have all the answers. I do like reading everyone's opinion also. Especially if I end up loving the Tesla. All of you will help me fee less guilty about my trade...

It's funny, you can find similar threads on the BMW and Mercedes forums as well. I am in the camp that the cars are not comparable. We have a 2015 S550 and a 2015 P85D. The S class is much bigger, feels even bigger than it actually is compared to the Model S. I drive the Model S 99% of the time, I love it, it is a blast. It doesn't feel like a large car to me. But, it isn't anywhere near as comfortable as the S550, in fact feels very basic from an interior design and comfort standpoint. For long road trips, we take the S550; just more comfortable on long hauls, all the creature comforts and ride quality. If you made me choose between them, I'd take the Model S, my wife would choose the S550.

I think I like to sum it up this way, if I want to 'drive' I choose the Tesla; if I want to 'ride' I choose the S550.
IMG_1862 (2).JPG

Reactions: Soundchasr
I have a 10, and a 7yr old. My car also has the rear seat exec. package so they will notice a huge difference. However, that will not influence my decision. I think they will be so amused by the big screen (they love Ipads like every other kid) and no noise that they will not complain.

Our 7 also has the rear executive seats option. Our 8 & 9 year old children have become completely spoiled by them. That's why we ordered the rear executive seat package for our 85D as well. BTW they do miss the heated / cooled / massaging seats when we don't take the 7 out. Ahhhhhh spoiled babies Lol Lol Lol

ok, I just got back. Very tough decision. Right now leaning towards keeping the Alpina. Not driving a ton, the gas savings will not be a huge deal for me. If it were an even up trade, I may consider it just to have one, but considering that this would cost me about 20k on top of my Alpina, I am just not sure it is worth it. I liked the car, but as you all said, it is very plain inside. No storage ( I would get a console for sure), seats were ok as far as comfort. Then another thought is that even though I know a car is HORRIBLE investment, I have to wonder as of today, which will depreciate faster. Just throwing things around. Once you get going about 50, the car being electric becomes significantly less noticeable. Obviously it does have me thinking a lot though.......Overall I understand why people buy them, I think they are definitely overpriced, but I get it. And I still may own one soon!

• Informative
If you drive the Tesla for a month and then go back, whatever you were driving before will seem broken. This is not so apparent when going to the Tesla but it's very apparent going the other way.

If you drive the Tesla for a month and then go back, whatever you were driving before will seem broken. This is not so apparent when going to the Tesla but it's very apparent going the other way.

I disagree. I went back to my BMW and remember just how much I like the noise it makes, the seats, the handling and general driving position.

Completely different from a 7. They are both large cars and both drive like large cars. However, you just can't compare an ICE to electric. Not better or worse, just different IMO. Instant acceleration all the time. Never in the wrong gear. Never need to wait for a rpm drop to get instant acceleration. Lower center of gravity. So will feel tighter for a large car...but definitely not in Porsche territory of handling either. Hope that helps.

I agree. Good description and comparison.

I am let down the most for real. I think reading and reading had my expectations too high. The not having interior storage, and simpleness of the interior was tough for me. I know its a different car, but if you are going to get the same type of money, I expect the same level of quality. I know the tech is there, and understand that, but the motors and batteries put together likely cost half of what a BMW or Mercedes engine cost. Given that, I feel as though there were too many other corners cut inside. If it was extreme luxury inside, I would not be having this conversation, and would be driving my Tesla right now. I had so many people here telling me I was crazy for even thinking about trading an Alpina B7 in on a Tesla. But I just thought they had no idea due to not experiencing a Tesla so I gave it a shot. I am not knocking the car, just saying as for creature comforts, it has a long way to go compared to it's similarly priced competitors. Something in me still wants one, just can't give up what I have for it. If I had a step or two down of a car now, I would do it in a second.

I know its a different car, but if you are going to get the same type of money, I expect the same level of quality. I know the tech is there, and understand that, but the motors and batteries put together likely cost half of what a BMW or Mercedes engine cost.
I think you have that backwards. The Tesla drivetrain -- battery/inverter/motors -- cost far more to manufacture than a BMW or MB engine, primarily because at this point the battery pack is an expensive item. Over time the cost of the pack will decrease and it will really drop in a few years when the Gigafactory is in high gear by around 2018 - 2020.
Yes, Teslas are expensive and they lack some of the luxury frills that other high end cars offer. If that is a big issue for someone then it's not the car for them.

I think you have that backwards. The Tesla drivetrain -- battery/inverter/motors -- cost far more to manufacture than a BMW or MB engine, primarily because at this point the battery pack is an expensive item. Over time the cost of the pack will decrease and it will really drop in a few years when the Gigafactory is in high gear by around 2018 - 2020.
Yes, Teslas are expensive and they lack some of the luxury frills that other high end cars offer. If that is a big issue for someone then it's not the car for them.

As consumers, we can buy a motor and batteries for a Tesla for under 20k. I'd bet its double to get A BMW 7 series engine with twin turbos, and whatever else is a must have to run a gas engine. I am just talking drive train. Has to be more than double.