Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Look at the Tesla CCS Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
eFfmdb3.jpg

That adapter is converting the connector from Type2-CCS to Type2, and presumably telling the car to expect DC. It's just a format change since European Teslas use J1772-Type2 connectors, not the Tesla proprietary connector. A US CCS adapter would likely have to be big, like the chademo adapter.

That adapter is converting the connector from Type2-CCS to Type2, and presumably telling the car to expect DC. It's just a format change since European Teslas use J1772-Type2 connectors, not the Tesla proprietary connector. A US CCS adapter would likely have to be big, like the chademo adapter.
I don't see why from a form factor point of view. In the US, CCS uses J1772 for the AC and signaling portion of the plug, and we already have an adapter for that. The big question is how they implement the different signaling protocols. There is apparently no room for a lot of electronics in the adapter, so I assume this is mostly handled by software in the car. It's not clear whether this translates to the North American models.

BTW, there is no such thing as "J1772 type 2". In Europe they use the Mennekes connector for the AC part.

Reactions: transpondster
Rumor is that cars will need a retrofit to be able to use the adapter and that they will be paired. (No sharing adapters.) So that may be where the electronics are. Maybe it will just be a new charge port module.

In Europe it is just one connector to alter (Mennekes + CCS -> Mennekes). And also since Tesla has introduced CCS Tesla chargers in Europe, they’re familiar with the concept, there.

In the US and Canada, I think there’s still a ways to go. Here, there’s two connectors being altered into a different one (SAE J1772 + CCS -> Tesla US-standard). Anyway, I think it’s still a while until US-standard comes out. I’ll be happy to be proven wrong!

Reactions: GlenM
I don't see why from a form factor point of view. In the US, CCS uses J1772 for the AC and signaling portion of the plug, and we already have an adapter for that. The big question is how they implement the different signaling protocols. There is apparently no room for a lot of electronics in the adapter, so I assume this is mostly handled by software in the car. It's not clear whether this translates to the North American models.

BTW, there is no such thing as "J1772 type 2". In Europe they use the Mennekes connector for the AC part.

Hopefully you're right on the first part. But my point was that European Teslas don't use the proprietary Tesla connector. So a US adapter would be very different.

As for the naming: US & Europe use IEC62196 connectors for charging. US uses Type-1 and Europe uses Type-2. Both locations use the SAE J1772 signaling protocol. IEC62196-Type2 and the original Mennekes connectors are slightly different and incompatible (not that you'd ever encounter a true Mennekes connector).

Hopefully you're right on the first part. But my point was that European Teslas don't use the proprietary Tesla connector. So a US adapter would be very different.
The European Tesla connector is in fact a modified type 2 connector, so I would call it proprietary (even though Tesla charge ports are backwards compatible with type 2 plugs).
As for the naming: US & Europe use IEC62196 connectors for charging. US uses Type-1 and Europe uses Type-2.
If you say IEC type 1/type 2 then we're in agreement. But there is no "J1772 type 2". I think it is important to be clear and avoid confusion.
EC62196-Type2 and the original Mennekes connectors are slightly different and incompatible (not that you'd ever encounter a true Mennekes connector).
It's colloquially called Mennekes connector because it was originally proposed by Mennekes. ;)

It's colloquially called Mennekes connector because it was originally proposed by Mennekes. ;)

This terminology is making my head hurt.... Back in the olden days, when dirt was new, I was responsible for a farm of HP Superdome servers. They use ME460P9 connectors, which we also called colloquially "Mennekes" connectors. Dang things drove my electricians nuts since we didn't stock them routinely - we had plenty of L15-30's and CS8364's hanging around, but no Mennekes connectors ....

http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c01868388-1.pdf

</OFFTOPIC>

Here is some additional evidence that a CCS adapter is being planned for the US as well. It's in this Ars article on Electrify America. As far as I know they only are building stations for the US (hence the name) and the article mentions a CCS adapter for Tesla's. This would be wonderful news!
Here is the article:
Inside Electrify America’s plan to simplify electric car charging

• Informative
Reactions: Eno Deb and tombar
Here is some additional evidence that a CCS adapter is being planned for the US as well. It's in this Ars article on Electrify America. As far as I know they only are building stations for the US (hence the name) and the article mentions a CCS adapter for Tesla's. This would be wonderful news!
Here is the article:
Inside Electrify America’s plan to simplify electric car charging
The author of the article confirmed in the comments that he meant the Chademo adapter.

Interesting article though. Good to see that they are about to reveal the final pricing scheme and roll out their app soon.

New information available about the CCS adapter in the EU: Supercharging

€170 for the adapter and €330 extra if your S, or X, was built before 5/1/2019 and requires a retrofit to support it. So CCS support was added as part of the Raven updates. (200kW charging and PMSR front drive unit.)

Do the Model S and Model X have access to third-party charging networks?
Model S and Model X owners may use a CCS Combo 2 adapter to connect to compatible third-party networks. Model 3 can directly plug into third-party networks using CCS Combo 2 connectors.

How do I know if my Model S or Model X has the technical capability to charge via a CCS Combo 2 adapter?
All Tesla Model S and Model X vehicles produced after May 1, 2019 have the technical capability to charge at CCS Combo 2 charging sites with the use of a CCS Combo 2 adapter.

I have a Model S or Model X produced before May 1, 2019. Can I take advantage of CCS Combo 2 charging?
All legacy Model S and Model X owners will require a service retrofit in order to take advantage of CCS Combo 2 charging via adapter. You may schedule a service retrofit for June 1, 2019 or later at your local Tesla service center via your Tesla mobile app or your Tesla account.

How much does a CCS Combo 2 service retrofit cost?
CCS Combo 2 retrofit service will cost €500, including the cost of a CCS Combo 2 adapter (€170 when purchased separately).

I wonder if the “retrofit” is the larger charge port cabling that allows 200kw. They might not want to say that because they want people to upgrade to the new cars, but might be a retrofit path to that...

Unlikely. The retrofit is mainly about being able to talk to the CCS EVSE which uses a different communication protocol that the hardware in the older S&X don't support. The electronics to do the conversion from CCS to Supercharger couldn't be done in an external adapter because there is no power available until communications have taken place. (Unless the adapter had a battery in it.)

My guess is that it will just be a little box put between the charger and the charge port that taps into power somewhere. (Or possible they could replace the whole charger with one that has the necessary CCS capabilities, but 330 Euros seems cheap for that.)