Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First NZ Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finished my Cape Reinga to Bluff road trip last night. Total distance 2890 km using 581 kWh. Total fuel outlay: $20.

Now just have to get back to Auckland…

image.jpg

Finished my Cape Reinga to Bluff road trip last night. Total distance 2890 km using 581 kWh. Total fuel outlay: $20.

That's brilliant! Without knowing where those places were I plugged them into Google maps and found its the equivalent of "Land's End to John O'Groats"!

How many days? Did you just use slow charging at overnight stops, or public EV charge spots?

Lets just say I was elated to see a Black(Ish) Model S drive past on the other side of the road of me out of Mangatinoka.
The first thing my passenger said was "that is a flash car." I said "THAT IS A TESLA!!!"

Awesome to see Teslas on the road here in NZ, and awesome to personally see a 5 second glimpse of one!

Well done, sir. Now, to impress more, it would be brilliant to hear that your return route was by way of Hokitika, Greymouth, Westport and Nelson. Good luck!

How many days? Did you just use slow charging at overnight stops, or public EV charge spots?
We reached Cape Reinga on the evening of Jan 1, and Bluff on the evening of Jan 10. Charging was a mixture of private 32 Amp three phase sockets, 32, 16, and 10 Amp single phase sockets, and a very few type 1 (30A) and type 2 (32Ax3) public charging stations.

Well done, sir. Now, to impress more, it would be brilliant to hear that your return route was by way of Hokitika, Greymouth, Westport and Nelson. Good luck!

Carl Barlev and Nick Smith, driving the other Model S on the journey, covered much of that route while Steve travelled down the eastern side.

Anyone who would like to see the pictures from the journey (who has a Facebook account) can find them at https://www.facebook.com/LeadingTheCharge

Lets just say I was elated to see a Black(Ish) Model S drive past on the other side of the road of me out of Mangatinoka.
The first thing my passenger said was "that is a flash car." I said "THAT IS A TESLA!!!"

Awesome to see Teslas on the road here in NZ, and awesome to personally see a 5 second glimpse of one!

Most likely Carl, on his way from Napier to Wellington. He stopped to charge in Dannevirke. The car is dark green.