Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Raven Refresh Model S P100D 1/4 time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You'll find that these Michelin tires, like most all high-performance BEV tires, come from the manufacturer lined with sound-dampening foam permanently attached to the interior of the tire tread section to significantly reduce tire cavity and road noise that's more noticeable in quiet BEVs. Some tire stores can now special-order OEM sound-dampened tires from the manufacturers. www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=336
(I believe that the "A0" brand visible on the sidewall of this Michelin tire designates that it had "Tesla" sound-deadening foam added during its manufacture, unlike the standard version tires).

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: bhzmark

Wow. Looks like Tesla forgot again that they deliver cars to places other than CA? Up until today in Tesla history you always got all-seasons with 19's. Some communication maybe Tesla? I was about 5 minutes from having tires/wheels delivered before the car arrived that would have been a total waste of time and money.

Although now I wonder if the car will do 345 with these tires on it. Does LR get these tires with 19's? All questions, no answers.

DEFBAA06-8C81-454E-91AF-F36BBEC64343.jpeg
Measured how? I dont see it on dragy
Here you go.

21” are purely for looks. 19” are superior for drag racing and daily driving.
on every other car than a P100DL I would agree.

The P100DL though has so much torque that it feels distinctly squirmy on 19s and much better on 21s. Doesnt matter for driving down a highway or even for strip but on rural roads with curves it is a major difference as I directly experienced a:b with a loaner on 19s compared to mine on 21s, the 19s were frankly horrible in comparison.

On the strip though, and correct me if I am wrong, tires on a strip though are a function initially traction, then rolling reisitance. The P100DL has huge torque so 19s will deform more due to the higher sidewall and provide a larger contact patch on launch, once rolling actually the marginally smaller contact patch will also benefit. Dropping 20% tire pressure can also have a similar effect.

I would love to see some real comparisons of this 19/21/standard/high/low pressure (temps have to be consistent of course too).

In reality I suspect there is not much difference if any as mostly the car is simply electronically limited, I just love it when ppl see a time and automatically assume that another 0.3s can be shaved off it with a "better" driver. Weight loss would be the only way to do this.

Reactions: bhzmark and Krash
Reactions: AWDtsla
A few things to consider about racing on a drag strip:

1. You are launching on glue(literally). Adhesion is the major factor for traction, not friction. This means more contact patch will have a measurable impact in preventing wheel spin.
2. Sidewall stiffness matters. When cornering, you want a stiffer sidewall to prevent the tire from rolling off the wheel. in straight line, you want a softer sidewall which acts like a rubber band and smooths out the application of torque to the road.
3. Rolling resistance plays a measurable role. More rolling resistance means a slower trap speed. We also see this exact effect with efficiency differences between all seasons and performance summer tires.

Points 2 and 3 are actively taken into account by anyone who is interested in better 1/4 mile times. Racers will buy a specific set of tires to increase traction at the expense of trap speed. When at the track, they will adjust air pressure in the tires to try to find the best combination of sidewall stiffness and contact patch relative to the specific conditions of the drag strip that day.

Of the above points, the only benefit for running 21" tires would be a wider contact patch which will come at the expense of sidewall stiffness. The other two points speak directly to the benefit of running 19" wheels with low rolling resistance tires.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark