Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First road trip in your MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, it's definitely going to be a helluva way to break in the Model X (praying it doesn't get delayed!). I have not completed planning yet, however I have been using a combination of Google Maps, Plugshare, and Tesla's supercharger/destination charger map page.

We've selected a route that is primarily supported by Superchargers the whole way. I'd rather not get stuck charging for 3 days at some farmer house! Tesla's site shows new superchargers connecting Montana to Calgary this year, we'll see if they're up and running before August or not. If not, that will probably be the most "off grid" section. We plan to stay the night in Bozeman, MT where there's good charging options, we will not be taking the shortest route to Whitefish, but not too bad, so we can charge at the Missoula SC. Then there's a couple options in Whitefish with destination chargers so we can leave there full.

From there, we will be going to Canmore, AB, and we haven't decided whether to go via the East or West, both will require a stop at non-Tesla chargers, possibly for a couple hours or more. Plugshare shows options in Cranbrook and Invermere (If we get some foldable Oruk Kayaks for the trip we can walk down to the lake from the charger and paddle around while the car charges) on the Western route. On the Eastern Route, I think we would go up to Fernie, BC, then Calgary, then Canmore.
I'm sure you've found it but there is a pretty extensive L2 charger network in Canada called the Sun Country Highway...

Electric Vehicle (EV) Products and Services | Sun Country Highway

Yeah, thanks for the tip! Looks like these are all on plugshare.com. Can't wait to start using them! Hopefully my Model X will be delivered without the delays many others seem to be experiencing. :)
Also to get full use of amperage on the Sun country 80A chargers you need to press the start button. Your car will automatically charge but at a lower rate if you don't press the button.

FYI Gander Mt. 53QT cooler is a perfect fit. Holds ice for 7days.
axcool.jpg

Yeah, it's definitely going to be a helluva way to break in the Model X (praying it doesn't get delayed!). I have not completed planning yet, however I have been using a combination of Google Maps, Plugshare, and Tesla's supercharger/destination charger map page.

We've selected a route that is primarily supported by Superchargers the whole way. I'd rather not get stuck charging for 3 days at some farmer house! Tesla's site shows new superchargers connecting Montana to Calgary this year, we'll see if they're up and running before August or not. If not, that will probably be the most "off grid" section. We plan to stay the night in Bozeman, MT where there's good charging options, we will not be taking the shortest route to Whitefish, but not too bad, so we can charge at the Missoula SC. Then there's a couple options in Whitefish with destination chargers so we can leave there full.

From there, we will be going to Canmore, AB, and we haven't decided whether to go via the East or West, both will require a stop at non-Tesla chargers, possibly for a couple hours or more. Plugshare shows options in Cranbrook and Invermere (If we get some foldable Oruk Kayaks for the trip we can walk down to the lake from the charger and paddle around while the car charges) on the Western route. On the Eastern Route, I think we would go up to Fernie, BC, then Calgary, then Canmore.
We're in Bozeman and are planning a trip to Santa Fe in August. Picking up our X next month. Let me know when you plan to hit Bozeman and we could swap tales.

As I'm planning my first big road trip, I'm curious how busy ARE the Superchargers? Is this an issue yet, or one that we're just anticipating as the Model 3's start pouring on to the roads in a couple years? How often have you pulled in to a Supercharger to find every stall in use?

As I'm planning my first big road trip, I'm curious how busy ARE the Superchargers? Is this an issue yet, or one that we're just anticipating as the Model 3's start pouring on to the roads in a couple years? How often have you pulled in to a Supercharger to find every stall in use?
Not a problem in most parts of the country but I can't see it supporting 500,000 new Tesla cars per year. Hopefully, when that happens there will be political support for a major government investment for EV's.

There are a lot of threads on this (focus on the Model S ones, the Model 3 jumbo-thread is mostly guessing what the future might look like).

General summary - in most of the country, they're almost always readily available. On the West Coast, especially in California, there can be congestion during peak times, which include holidays and weekends. This is especially true on Sunday afternoon/evenings, it seems.

I've waited a few times, never longer than 20 minutes. But I've used them extensively up and down the West Coast, so the times I've had to wait rank in the less than 1% range.

Nice! I was trying to decide between a Yeti and something that could plug in to the 12V outlet. Anyone have any idea how much of a hit on range you get from running a cooler in the back? :)
I have not had much success with the 12v portable coolers. They don't use that much energy and they don't cool down very well. A great one would have to use some serious energy like cold plates installed in a boat. A great insulated cooler is a simple fix.

Nice! I was trying to decide between a Yeti and something that could plug in to the 12V outlet. Anyone have any idea how much of a hit on range you get from running a cooler in the back? :)

Maybe some back-of-the-envelope math is in order.

Just see how much energy the cooler uses and divide that by your Avg Wh/Mile

Doesn't make sense considering it's adding to energy overhead and is unrelated to distance traveled. It's more like wh/hour.

For that back-of-the-envelope math: Since you're limited to 12v with those power sockets, and up to 11 amps for continuous power, I would expect most 12v coolers would use at most 10 amps x 12v or about 120w of continuous power. However some quick research on Amazon has shown that most actually only use about 40 watts, and are not great at cooling things down but rather keeping cool things cool.

Assuming continuous cooling, you're looking at 40wh/hour of power. That means you will use 1kwh of power after about 25 hours of continuous use. So if you're looking at a 3 hour drive at about 60 miles/hour, you will travel 180 miles (reasonable distance between supercharges), you're looking at using an additional 120wh of power over that time...

Even adding 20% for potential energy losses and an extra hour for time before leaving and after arriving, you're looking at most at 192wh of additional energy consumed, or a loss of about 0.56 miles of rated range on a Model X, or ~0.3% of the distance traveled or ~0.2% of the total rated range of a 90kwh Model X.

So it's not a noticeable hit to range, unless you run out of juice a half mile from the supercharger ;).

• Informative
Reactions: HenryCH
Maybe some back-of-the-envelope math is in order.

Doesn't make sense considering it's adding to energy overhead and is unrelated to distance traveled. It's more like wh/hour.

For that back-of-the-envelope math: Since you're limited to 12v with those power sockets, and up to 11 amps for continuous power, I would expect most 12v coolers would use at most 10 amps x 12v or about 120w of continuous power. However some quick research on Amazon has shown that most actually only use about 40 watts, and are not great at cooling things down but rather keeping cool things cool.

Assuming continuous cooling, you're looking at 40wh/hour of power. That means you will use 1kwh of power after about 25 hours of continuous use. So if you're looking at a 3 hour drive at about 60 miles/hour, you will travel 180 miles (reasonable distance between supercharges), you're looking at using an additional 120wh of power over that time...

Even adding 20% for potential energy losses and an extra hour for time before leaving and after arriving, you're looking at most at 192wh of additional energy consumed, or a loss of about 0.56 miles of rated range on a Model X, or ~0.3% of the distance traveled or ~0.2% of the total rated range of a 90kwh Model X.

So it's not a noticeable hit to range, unless you run out of juice a half mile from the supercharger ;).

Awesome, thanks for helping with the math. I'm still trying to wrap my head around all the definitions and relationships of Watts, Amps, wh/hour, wh/mile, etc. :)

Reactions: Coolcarx
There are a lot of threads on this (focus on the Model S ones, the Model 3 jumbo-thread is mostly guessing what the future might look like).

General summary - in most of the country, they're almost always readily available. On the West Coast, especially in California, there can be congestion during peak times, which include holidays and weekends. This is especially true on Sunday afternoon/evenings, it seems.

I've waited a few times, never longer than 20 minutes. But I've used them extensively up and down the West Coast, so the times I've had to wait rank in the less than 1% range.

Good to know, and about what I expected. Hopefully Tesla has a long term plan on supporting all those new vehicles, and our government will get on board with more support for EV's. Elon Musk for President! :D

W're planning to do a major trip in August, and it will be our first in a Tesla. Can't wait for the adventure to begin:

Our current route will be able to use almost all Superchargers except for a few spots.

Here's where we plan to stop for 1+ nights:
Portland, OR
Boise, ID
Moab, UT
Boulder, CO
Kansas City, MO
Indianapolis, IN
Berlin Center, OH
Washington, DC
Boston, MA
Montreal, QC
Toronto, ON
Ann Arbor, MI
Onalaska, WI
Keystone, SD
Bozeman, MT
Whitefish, MT
Canmore, AB
Hope, BC
Portland, OR

We expect to take about 4 weeks!
I did a 1200mi trip which would usually be 9hrs but took 14hrs. With P90d 250mi range was more like 180-200. It was cold and I have 22" wheels plus some hills. Since chargers where so far apart I had to do a full charge which took over an hour each time. Another problem was I had to drop my speed to keep from running out of charge before next SC. So if you take your miles and divide by 45mph you come to the average I had. I was not prepared for this. Unfortunately for me, I was in the danger zone of range between each SC. Things are already better since last trip with a new SC opening on my route. Driving My X, I would not want to travel over 150mi between Chargers. Anything more would make be worry about all the above issues.

I did a 1200mi trip which would usually be 9hrs but took 14hrs. With P90d 250mi range was more like 180-200. It was cold and I have 22" wheels plus some hills. Since chargers where so far apart I had to do a full charge which took over an hour each time. Another problem was I had to drop my speed to keep from running out of charge before next SC. So if you take your miles and divide by 45mph you come to the average I had. I was not prepared for this. Unfortunately for me, I was in the danger zone of range between each SC. Things are already better since last trip with a new SC opening on my route. Driving My X, I would not want to travel over 150mi between Chargers. Anything more would make be worry about all the above issues.
What was the average speed and outside temperature during your trip?