Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First time 100% charge experience for other newbie owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a month of MYLR ownership I decided to charge up to 100% and take a drive. I was pleasantly surprised that it charged to 330 miles. During the first 15 minutes of driving I found the regenerative braking didn't feel normal and the car drifted like an ICE vehicle when I released the accelerator pedal. It took a while for me to realize the battery was full and that was why regenerative braking was not available. I seem to learn something new every time I drive this amazing car.
1A994543-A0EE-4D24-8A49-3C855F3E7B58_1_201_a.jpeg

I have never charged mine to 100%. I'm sure there are some cases where it makes the difference between getting where you're going in zero charge stops or one, but that will only be true for a small range of distances.

For a long trip, where you're going to stop to charge 3 or more times, it makes almost no difference in the total time whether you start at 100% or 95%. Or really even 90% in most cases. You can check the effect on ABRP, and see that it maybe makes a minute or two difference, which by the time you get to the real world is not meaningful.

So for me, I prefer not to charge to 100%. That way I don't have to use the friction brakes. Nasssty, nasssty friction brakeses. We hates them.

According to the Owners Manual, regen is reduced above 95% (and in certain other scenarios). I charged to 100% one and didn't like the lack of regen. So I go to 95% now for trips. As noted the difference is negligible when you have to stop one or more times.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
You don't have to actually charge your car to 100% to get your GoM (Guess-o-Meter) to roll the dice for you and spit out a number (range).

- Switch Display (from Energy) to Distance in your car
- Launch the app on your phone and move the charge level all the way to the right or 100% to get the estimated range

I have never charged mine to 100%. I'm sure there are some cases where it makes the difference between getting where you're going in zero charge stops or one, but that will only be true for a small range of distances.

For a long trip, where you're going to stop to charge 3 or more times, it makes almost no difference in the total time whether you start at 100% or 95%. Or really even 90% in most cases. You can check the effect on ABRP, and see that it maybe makes a minute or two difference, which by the time you get to the real world is not meaningful.

So for me, I prefer not to charge to 100%. That way I don't have to use the friction brakes. Nasssty, nasssty friction brakeses. We hates them.

You're making a lot of people very jealous... Like me! ;)👍

After a month of MYLR ownership I decided to charge up to 100% and take a drive. I was pleasantly surprised that it charged to 330 miles. During the first 15 minutes of driving I found the regenerative braking didn't feel normal and the car drifted like an ICE vehicle when I released the accelerator pedal. It took a while for me to realize the battery was full and that was why regenerative braking was not available. I seem to learn something new every time I drive this amazing car.
View attachment 685735

According to the Owners Manual, regen is reduced above 95% (and in certain other scenarios). I charged to 100% one and didn't like the lack of regen. So I go to 95% now for trips. As noted the difference is negligible when you have to stop one or more times.
I don't even bother charging above 80% even for trips, becuase it doesn't really make much of a difference for me. I still have to stop a supercharger anyways, so whats a few extra minutes....

I don't even bother charging above 80% even for trips, becuase it doesn't really make much of a difference for me. I still have to stop a supercharger anyways, so whats a few extra minutes....
Same. From 80 percent I can get to any supercharger in any direction from my location. Having said that, it's still good to do some pre planning. For instance it's good to spend extra time charging to 100 and skip the next charger that would be on the route if it's known to be busy all the time. (Looking at your Knoxville, TN)

I normally charge to 75 but plan to go to 100 when I go to my sister's in a few weeks. She's over 120 miles and I thought I'd see if I can do round trip. Could be close especially if I drive around there at all. But I'm always nervous about an empty tank. In my ICE I'd fill up pretty much as soon as the needle went below 1/2.

Plus it's a bit of just trying it out. Have never charged to 100 so we'll see.

I normally charge to 75 but plan to go to 100 when I go to my sister's in a few weeks. She's over 120 miles and I thought I'd see if I can do round trip. Could be close especially if I drive around there at all. But I'm always nervous about an empty tank. In my ICE I'd fill up pretty much as soon as the needle went below 1/2.

Plus it's a bit of just trying it out. Have never charged to 100 so we'll see.
ICE cars are more efficient on the bottom .5 of the tank vs the top .5 (fuel weight)

doesn't help you to be more efficient if you suddenly need to go and have an empty tank. I was planning on high-tailing it outta here when I saw the zombies coming. Sounds like you'd be filling up for your getaway<g>
Last year at detroit lake while camping, the park ranger came knocking at 1am in everyone's campsite, and said to leave IMMEDIATELY. Ranger said whatever you can't pack in 10 minutes, leave it behind. Upon leaving, there was fire on both sides of the road, so no opportunity to fuel up if you didn't top off before arriving... This is why we always fuel up our ICE cars upon arrival, and I pre-plan to make sure our Y has at least 50% charge when arriving at our destination.